2017 Bamfield and Barkley Sound Reports

I did the run to China Creek twice last year. The road forsure can be rough. I take it real slow. I have a bunk trailer, way easier on the boat then a trailer with rollers. I know some guys tow all the way to Bamfield - way too far for me. But I can handle about 10 K'S of gravel. I just don't feel comfortable parking on the street in Port Alberni.
Stosh

I haven't had a problem in the free parking lot in the last 2 years that I parked there. Both 4 night stays. Nice cruise up the inlet in the morning to avoid the afternoon winds

Wherever you choose to leave from, as Fishtank states, be sure to leave as early as possible in the morning. I prefer to get going before 10 if possible.
Stosh

Just got back from a weekend at Poett nook and it's really slow on the inside. Went offshore in the morning and trolled up a nice 30lbs Hali and a 10lb spring but then had to come in due to a sea sick friend... fished diplock and holford bay with no luck. Did a afternoon fish trolled from Brady's up to Beale and there was lots of bait and got into a bunch of undersize springs and a few just legal spring

well , that was close to some of the best inside june fishing i have had in years..
did 5-7 mile, small springs, knocking wilds off.. swell was up a bit too so we didnt bother anymore.
tried danvers to the wall and had our fish , with some size! done in 2 hours... lost one at the boat over 20! grrrr, dry cork on islander caused a major **** off!!
next day went out by myself and played a dozen in less than 2 hrs.. kept my limit of 6and 8 lb coho.. 2 springs 10lb

all at 65' in 160-120 of water within 1 mile of Bam... this afternoon troll was a reel treat.

get out there guys! inside is good!!

well , that was close to some of the best inside june fishing i have had in years..
did 5-7 mile, small springs, knocking wilds off.. swell was up a bit too so we didnt bother anymore.
tried danvers to the wall and had our fish , with some size! done in 2 hours... lost one at the boat over 20! grrrr, dry cork on islander caused a major **** off!!
next day went out by myself and played a dozen in less than 2 hrs.. kept my limit of 6and 8 lb coho.. 2 springs 10lb

all at 65' in 160-120 of water within 1 mile of Bam... this afternoon troll was a reel treat.

killing me
heard the same , lights out
casts off , lookout , im coming :)

fk

Well ****! I was there all weekend and couldn't find anything decent at all! Had to go offshore to find some good halibut, but polluck were everywhere? Small fish offshore as well.....must have been between waves of fish? Spoke to a few guys same issues.

Trophywife were you fishing on the weekend? Curious if I was just not looking in the right spots. Fished a lot of them. Thanks in advance.

Just got home from an awsome trip. Fishedcand explored all over Barkley Sound. Saw a lot of fish caugh and did pretty good myself. Some chinook up to about 14 lbs. a couple coho and limited on rockfish and almost on lings. Even a cabezon. Lots of crabs and even caught a decent amount of prawns and some small red shrimp. On one day one trap had an octopus in it. Everything but a halibut. Windy everyday and was seasick a bit on two days but nausea could've been caused by a kidney stone. Symptoms were the same. Next trip...will concentrate on halibut.

Trophywife were you fishing on the weekend? Curious if I was just not looking in the right spots. Fished a lot of them. Thanks in advance.

saturday fished deep water of satellite passage=2 springs
sunday fished 5-7 mile, mix bag with no size
monday aft 3:30-5:30 wall.. many decent fish with size
tues -same...

Just heard a report of 20lb+fish at Pill coming from some guys at China Creek, any truth to that, anyone finding fish on the inside?

IMG_0535.PNG IMG_0525.JPG IMG_0526.JPG we had a couple on over 20 for sure... watched a few biggers boated along the wall monday afternoon.. get out there!!

Last edited:
saturday fished deep water of satellite passage=2 springs
sunday fished 5-7 mile, mix bag with no size
monday aft 3:30-5:30 wall.. many decent fish with size
tues -same...

Thanks for the response ! I need to get my **** together lol. Still fun! Still love it!

Sounds like perfect timing to be heading out that way, this weekend for a father/son trip! Hope to see some of you guys out there! First trip of the year!!!

Just back from bammy 4day trip with 3 on the boat
Road .. Good .. Saw 2 graders workin it on the way there and back .. Overall fishing was good ...
Limited on springs ... And 8 coho ... As usual Some areas produced well one day .... Then not the next .... .... Most consistent and best results this trip was beal ... /The wall ... Kirby ..Brady's Spotty ... Cree and wittlestone don't seem to be holding the bait this year .. I have been there several times and had poor results at both ... Hopefully that changes as they are fun spots to fish ..... The Wall seems to be producing the biggest fish .... And most bait balls .... But can be frustrating as mentioned previously ...it is spotty .... Early Morning bite for us was definitely better 530am to approx 10ish then things slowed ... Evening bite was decent for us one night ....talked with a lot of people at the Dock and moved around a lot before things started to click this trip .... For us ... Best success was on skinny g and coho killers ... Tried our damndest to get hoochies to go but no such luck ... But hoochies and bait working for others ....Most fish at beal loaded with squid ... Other areas .. Bait and krill in bellies or empty ....
Also heard second hand that a boat had headed to 25 mile midweek got a hali and a couple of springs .... Glad we hung inside .... Hope off shore picks up
All for now ...

Back