2017 Campbell River Reports

Got bored and decided to do some night time boating and heading towards Campbell River. Would apprecite any current reports there if anyone would like to pm me or post it here. Will be mooring over night in a bay along the way and will be there fishing tomorrow.

Put the prawn traps out last night before mooring in Blind Bay for the night. Gonna let them soak for a bit longer through high slack then head towards Campbell River.

Is the algae any better over there? I was gonna put the rods out here for a bit this morning but the algae is even thicker here than at Gabriola and Vancouver.

Here's some pics of where I moored last night and the horrible algae in the water out in Malaspina Straight.
20170528_070120.jpg 20170528_070133.jpg 20170528_075726.jpg

Might make it over to the hump tomorrow. Been doing some lazy prawning and sight seeing mostly around Powell River and Lund today. Managed to find some huge prawns at a couple locations. Are you guys getting your Lings trolling on the slack at the hump bottom bouncing the big lead? Or were you targeting them jigging? Need to get some Lings in the freezer too.
Had to pause for an oyster burger and beer at the Lund pub today too. Great oyster burger!20170528_104019.jpg 20170528_104026.jpg 20170528_180122.jpg

Trolled the hump for awhile with no love for us from the salmon gods. Decided to chase bait around and jigged up over 30 ling cod varying from 70cm up to 20 lbs. You know it's a good day jigging when your wife states " I'm done, I can't reel in another fish". Fishing 200-300 feet with butter fly jigs........
Seen about a half dozen salmon caught by other people around.

Trolled the hump for awhile with no love for us from the salmon gods. Decided to chase bait around and jigged up over 30 ling cod varying from 70cm up to 20 lbs. You know it's a good day jigging when your wife states " I'm done, I can't reel in another fish". Fishing 200-300 feet with butter fly jigs........
Seen about a half dozen salmon caught by other people around.
I saw you over there bugleemup. Figured you were jigging just bobbing around in different spots there. I popped in there for a little bit just as the ebb was ending. I got a bunch of lings too trolling bait deep. Kept a nice one. More of a site seeing trip for me this time. Prawning has been great. A few crab, some Lings and beautiful scenery. Was up Desolation sound too this morning before crossing the straight over to Campbell River.

Last edited:
Would someone be able to send me some map directions on how to get to the Campbell river fishing humps everyone talks about haven't fished that area much and wanna try it out this weekend! Thanks

I have been using the Seaqualizer device for a few months now for releasing fish back to the depths. Am very happy with it. The original $70 cost is minor compared to the peace of mind gives me to know the fish has been returned to its depth and have given it the best chance of survival. I have mine set at 150 foot release and attached to a downrigger which I drop to 175 and bring up. So far device has always released and have not seen a fish float back to surface..

Would highly recommend this device..

PB

The green can was good for us last night. 4 springs within a couple hours, ranged from 8 - 16 lbs. Two red Two marbled white. Still no dogfish yahoo.

Back