2017 Secret Cove, Pender Harbour and Texada Reports

Sounds like some hot fishing Gramps. Were they fishing the Epsom area?

I fished the inlet last weekend and did well for lings and yelloweye, hoping to get out front for some springs in the sun this weekend.

My brother and I left Vancouver around 3 on Saturday and had to deal with the chop till past half moon bay and then calm for the remainder. Got to my old spot that I grew up in the 80s and 90s fishing Around 6pm and within 5 minutes had a 26# in the boat. Skinny G, homeland security on bottom in 180 feet of water. Lost another shortly after then went for some bottom fish for dinner.
Started Sunday morning trolling at 6am, Landed a 10 and 14 and released one around 10 and an under. Lost 2 screamers (my spoon on one) most fish between 62-72 feet before 8am. Didn't get anything on spoons for 30 minutes so switched to anchovies and as soon as I stepped back from setting the rod at 80' I picked up a 29#. At 9 am we went for breakfast and a nap. Went and got our lingcod and where back trolling around 6pm. We where happy with 2 fish each so anything else would be catch and release. Immediately got into a 20 which I tailed and released, 2 more around 10-14 pounds and called it a day. Made it back home now but can't wait to go back, this time it won't take me 18 years to go back.IMG_2240.JPG IMG_2259.JPG

Ahhhh yah, I can tell you I grew up fishing out of pender harbour in 80 and 90s and we would go there in the morning, come back for breakfast and go back for night bit. Sorry but there was few people who fished there then and less now as I didn't see another boat fishing. I didn't even go to my other spots cause the fishing was so good.

Ahhhh yah, I can tell you I grew up fishing out of pender harbour in 80 and 90s and we would go there in the morning, come back for breakfast and go back for night bit. Sorry but there was few people who fished there then and less now as I didn't see another boat fishing. I didn't even go to my other spots cause the fishing was so good.

Don't blame you.

Limit of 4 from 10 to 15 lbs at Epsom last night with the "Hurt Locker " on board. Lots of action for us on green glow hootchies.
Nice to know. Thanks. Have buddies coming from town for the weekend and I was hoping something would start happening at Epsom.

Ya we were a bit late getting out I'd guess we started fishing around 630, got one 12lber within minutes on a 407 plug and there was bait all over, picked up another right on the tide on a "turd" hootchie but it was slow for us also at Epsom compared to the night before when we hooked 9 fish in less then two hours.

Did a full shift yesterday, for us Sangster was dead seas until noon so we moved on. Young was packed with boats and lots of fish being caught, we didn't do well there but lots of nets out, so we went to Upwood and ended up doing well there.

Water was glass from Halfmoon Bay to French Creek alllllllll day long. Nicest day all year!

20170528_183507.jpg

Attachments

• 20170528_170619.jpg
    20170528_170619.jpg
    188.8 KB · Views: 157
Last edited:
Anything could change in a week, but we fished from 900-early afternoon. Coho point and up around the north end amongst the reefs. Marked bait a couple times but not much, and hit one 9lb ling for our only hit. Several boats came and went in the time we were there, none stayed.

Young was defiantly the hotspot, I'm not used to fishing "in the pack" lol, but there were a lot of bent rods out there.

Id still try Sangster. Lesquiti and Texada are just around the corner if your getting a bad vibe at Sangster.

Back