2017 Bamfield and Barkley Sound Reports

Some stellar fishing out there right now guys, inshore and on the edges of the sound. Saw a couple of 20+ fish last week and lots in the teens. I was on the wrong end of a jackhammer all week but the guys that were out on the water were doing well. The water is cold and there is more bait and fish around, kinda seems like things are switching back to more normal patterns than what we have seen in the last couple of years. Great start to a hopefully awesome season, sure seems fishy! Prawning was scratchy at best, I pulled my gear out half way through the week because it wasn't worth it :mad:
Right on Brad...great to hear!
Hope your other trip was awesome...will be in touch soon.

guy

Had another nice trip down from PA this past weekend. Though we would try prawning one last time before the commercial opening. Had planned to head over to the spot we did so well at on the Easter weekend but last min reports from some friends said that that area had dried up too. Hit Rainy Bay as I was told it was hit or miss but if you hit they were big ones. Well we missed. Pulled and set in another bay and that too was a miss. Fished in between sets at Pill point. Tried all depths but were hitting them on green flasher with army truck spoon or white hoochie at 45 and 55 feet. One keeper in the boat, lost two at the boat and released 3 small ones. Nothing showed on the sounder. Saturday dropped prawn traps around Assits island. Tried Tyler Rock for ling with no success. Jigged the walls of Congreve Island and got two (smaller) Copper Rock fish. Decided to set up the riggers and troll into Poett nook for gas. Seen bait balls and fish on the sounder at 350 feet when we made the traverse across Numukamis Bay from Hoise to Santa Maria Island. I kept my rigs at 55 and 100 feet and got a hit at 55 just in front of the log sort at Sarita. Circled a couple of time but didn't get another hit. Got gas at the nook and headed back to pull the traps on our way back to Port Alberni. Got 81 prawns between the 4 traps. Two had tails the size of my little finger and the rest were Med-Large with 20 or so in the "Jumbo" size. Nice little haul. Too bad we didn't find them on Saturday and got a couple of sets onto them. Well all in all catching fish and getting prawns is just the bonus to being out on the water with my wife.

Took the boat on its first major shake down this weekend out to effingham inlet to my buddy's cabin. Most of Saturday was spent getting the cabin set up as it was the first trip of the year. We did manage to get out fishing Saturday night and Sunday morning at 6 am. What a beauty weekend out in the sound. We spent all our time fishing targeting lings around Baeria rocks, milhus rock and other various spots around the inlet. Had a couple really big pulls and head shakes at Baeria but wasn't able to connect. We got a couple tiny lings that were released and a couple rock fish that were turned into dinner and breakfast. I guess we'll get them next time! Jig of the day was a 3.5 oz pink lil nib. If you pick any of these up immediately scrap the triple treble they come with as the are junk and bend open.

Glassy Sunday morning.

EFG.jpg
image.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Have not posted for quite a while. I have been fishing Barkley and the inlet for many years. Planning on getting the boat out there soon. I spend quite a few days May to Sept dragging lines around the sound. I plan on sharing any worthwhile news on the forum over the coming months. I enjoy reading the posts. Good luck everyone. Be safe.

Just back from 4 days in bam...
Weather and winds where great !
For the 3 of us we managed 9 keeper springs(one teener) .... 1 Hali ... Rockfish and 5 keeper lings

Threw a ton of time and effort on Hali off shore .... No love .... Caught ours trolling for salmon in 30' of water at whittlestone on a coho killer .... Go figure ??
For salmon Early mornings seemed best .... Evening bite gave us some love
But afternoons ... Dead ....
3 commercial trollers between bammy and poets nook ..... So seemed to indicate where fish where ..
Tried Kirby ... Nadda (no boats) Fleming and Meers bluff... nadda also
All salmon caught at wittlestone and Brady's .... all salmon on cop car coho killer and glow hoochie .....
Not a ton of bait on sounder seen but saw needlefish boiling near beal ... Medium sized baitfish (chovies maybe) in some of the stomachs .... The rest empty ...
Road in and out was pretty good .. And recently graded ...

......". Took the boat on its first major shake down this weekend out to effingham inlet to my buddy's cabin. Most of Saturday was spent getting the cabin set up as it was the first trip of the year. We did manage to get out fishing Saturday night and Sunday morning at 6 am. What a beauty weekend out in the sound. We spent all our time fishing targeting lings around Baeria rocks, milhus rock and other various spots around the inlet. Had a couple really big pulls and head shakes at Baeria but wasn't able to connect....."

Hey ExFlyGuy-- I'm thinking of staying in Effingham Inlet next June for a couple of days--- How long a run is it to Meares/Kirby etc from Effingham? Never been in the inlet before. Also, are there any beaches to let a dog run around?

Thanks for comments

appx 5 mile crossing ( my bad , i see your inquiring about effingham inlet , i marked from effingham bay ) i believe the inlet is deeper north in the sound !!

beauty bay , anchored a few times over night, bigger boats tend to stay here , yachts , , can be slightly exposed to northwesters , make sure you have a good hook set !! unreal sunsets , i prefer to anchor up more towards turtle , much more protected , always like glass , some of the best sleeps ever

gd lk

fd

IMG_9391.JPG

Last edited:
Thanks for that, Felix---big help!

Based on that run timefrom Effingham Inlet, a good arguement to leave the dog at home and stay in Bamfield instead

anyone else going to be in the sound this weekend?

Thanks for that, Felix---big help!

Based on that run timefrom Effingham Inlet, a good arguement to leave the dog at home and stay in Bamfield instead

coeur d Alene creek would be a good place to let your dog run loose. It my understanding that there are lots of places to try for salmon close to the inlet as well.

Heading out to find some calm spots near Ukee to get some fish with the kids, any suggestions? Happy to jig or troll. Also anyone know a good spot for oysters this time of year near Ukee or Bamfield?

Calm probably means over by Meares Bluff or Gibraltar I, depending on wind direction. Ttroll out toward Cree and see if it is too bouncy for the kids.
If you can get out around the corner from Cree, the kids would have fun jigging the humps out there. It is exposed though.
Check the regs for closures on oysters.

Heading out to find some calm spots near Ukee to get some fish with the kids, any suggestions? Happy to jig or troll. Also anyone know a good spot for oysters this time of year near Ukee or Bamfield?

Are you coming out of Ukee or Port Alberni?

Sorry for the non-report, but have the salmon regs for 23/123 been published for the summer fishery? Wondering about the status of inside chinook retention specifically, and having trouble navigating the new regs web landscape. Thanks in advance.

fb

little tricky this year navigating DFO Site

Sockeye CLOSED

Click on Popular Species

http://www.pac.dfo-mpo.gc.ca/fm-gp/rec/tidal-maree/a-s23-eng.html?wbdisable=false

Limits (d/p/a)
(d) Daily limit
The maximum number of a given fish species that a person is allowed to keep in one day.
(p) Possession limit
The maximum number of fish you can have in your possession at any given time, except for what is at your ordinary residence.
(a) Annual limit
The total amount of fish of a certain species that may be caught and retained during the course of a fishing year which commences on April 1 and ends the following March 31.

fd

Back