2017 Nanaimo Reports

Hi Treb,
Great report.
Did you not get any fish going with the current? With 2.5 SOG into the current I would imagine you have quite the angle on your riggers. How heavy were the DR balls?
Seems like if going with the current you would really want to rip to replicate the into the current spoon action....

We never got a sniff with the current. The ball weight I actually don't know as it was my buddies boat. Guessing I would say ten pounds . It was at a good angle the down riggers.

Lots of salmon out there. my buddy went out without me as I have to still make a living BOOOOOOOO .

He did well on green hootchies and the pink sink spoon

20170428_151733.jpg

Went out tonight at 5 and tested the new net out.
We fished a bit away from the pack in 600ft of water limited out in an hour and 15mins
All in the low teens largest was 13lb 6 oz

The slime was thick out today .
spoons and plugs green colour

Attachments

• Screenshot_20170428-211302.png
    Screenshot_20170428-211302.png
    1.2 MB · Views: 146
We never got a sniff with the current. The ball weight I actually don't know as it was my buddies boat. Guessing I would say ten pounds . It was at a good angle the down riggers.

With 15lbs of lead you should be right around 2.1mph SOG against current and around 3.1mph SOG with the current. Hookup rates going with the current have been significantly better for us..

brechin ramp has been packed all weekend, especially sunday with decent weather, the creel observer said numerous fish caught since Friday when he showed up. I saw quite a few boats at the ramp with 2-4 decent fish..

Got 4 today 120-160 on bait. Lost another 4. Only one undersize today. Largest about 12. All white or marbled. The fish seem to be very immature. Does anyone have a theory as to where the majority of these fish are heading to? All of ours were unclipped. How old are they most likley to be at 10-12 lbs with no sign of maturing eggs or sperm? Thanks. All had 4-6 inch herring in them.

Got 4 today 120-160 on bait. Lost another 4. Only one undersize today. Largest about 12. All white or marbled. The fish seem to be very immature. Does anyone have a theory as to where the majority of these fish are heading to? All of ours were unclipped. How old are they most likley to be at 10-12 lbs with no sign of maturing eggs or sperm? Thanks. All had 4-6 inch herring in them.
My understanding is that the majority of these fish are resident winter springs that are from the puget sound, harrison and/or vedder. They are in their second year and have reached the age where they are big enough to venture away form the bottom (where they spend their first years eating needle fish) and are now looking for larger groceries (i.e. herring).

My understanding is that the majority of these fish are resident winter springs that are from the puget sound, harrison and/or vedder. They are in their second year and have reached the age where they are big enough to venture away form the bottom (where they spend their first years eating needle fish) and are now looking for larger groceries (i.e. herring).
OK, Thanks. Reasonable to assume then that these fish might be around for a while - assuming groceries are available....

Quick question. Has the evening fishing been as good as the morning fishing out in the deep water areas? Just curious if it makes a difference in these feeders.

what we saw yesterday was a good early bite and we have a good evening bite ... spotie in-between but we were still finding fish

Brought over a few guys from my PMOHA (Port Moody Oldtimers Hockey Association) championship team with the cup in tow. Great nights at the firepit and tough mornings.

Had 3 boats put in a tough day on Saturday and all 3 got into fish, biggest was (maybe) 12. Sunday was a little better for volume, but mostly legals.

Friday with the Gary MacKenzie memorial cup
IMG-20170429-WA0012.jpg

.facebook_1493647958874.jpg

Saturday early morning before the storm

IMG_6519.JPG

unnamed (8).jpg

Sunday was nicer
IMG-20170430-WA0004.jpg

Last edited:
Late report but anyway -

Out Monday from 3 until 6:30, got 2 just under and a 12-13lb red close to the fingers, 180 ft on rigger in 300 ft of water, irish cream spoon. Lots of slime and crap in the water. Anyone know how long the slime stays around?

Out at the fingers this morning. Fishing was stellar. Got our 6 spring limit and also went and got are lingcod limit. What a day.
Well done, how deep were you finding the springs at? Found they have been all over the depth range from 75' to 200+.

Went out 430ish Thursday afternoon, lots of boats out there, fished further off the fingers as others had suggested for an hour and a bit....no luck. Moved closer, I brought one in about 615, then we had a double header at 645 , managed to land them both ! Called it a night at 730, came in with 3 fish, didn't weigh them but they were between 68 and 77 cm.

I used green glow, my buddy pink sink, 125-130 ft.

Back