2017 Secret Cove, Pender Harbour and Texada Reports

Buddy caught a 50 lb Hali at Ferney Point a few years back. Certainly wasn't targeting it but it sure was cool. He was fishing by himself and had a hell of a time getting it onto his boat.

wow...... sorry for hijack, just saw few pictures lately and seem to see more and more. thought id ask

Preseason streak is alive and well. Limits of cookie cutter 7-8lbers before noon, great morning on the water. Spoons in 4" and 6" were the ticket today. Chalk full of large and small herring, 1 shiner and one had a couple prawns in its belly!

limitday.png

Whos been out? ;)

Went out this morning got some cold extremities, a couple undersizeds and a nice 12lber. No herring sightings... anyone seen any herring school on the surface this year?

Went out this morning got some cold extremities, a couple undersizeds and a nice 12lber. No herring sightings... anyone seen any herring school on the surface this year?

More bait than I've seen for a while at Quarry. One large ball close to surface at 20ft. Made a new bottom on the sounder. Should have tried jigging but was getting late.
Picked up one keeper on a Nogs Needle. Fish was stuffed with smaller herring just after high slack

With all the great fishing around Nanaimo area hows it been up at Epson or Sangster? Thinking of avoiding some crowds and heading up and trying some live bait

Gonna be up in Salmon inlet May 7th-14th doing some camp cooking. Might get a couple hours here and there to try 9 mile pt. Put in a good 10 hours there this time last year and not a nibble. Anyone give it a go there?

Gonna be up in Salmon inlet May 7th-14th doing some camp cooking. Might get a couple hours here and there to try 9 mile pt. Put in a good 10 hours there this time last year and not a nibble. Anyone give it a go there?
I've never fished in the inlet but I am seeing some boats starting to launch at the wharf. I heard it was decent there that time last year but no one here really reports on that area.

With all the great fishing around Nanaimo area hows it been up at Epson or Sangster? Thinking of avoiding some crowds and heading up and trying some live bait
I haven't heard too much news for the whole area. We have got a few on Bjerre in the last few weeks. Epsom may be a good bet knowing that. You should go to Epsom and if it looks good mail us about an hour before the bite

I've been fishing cutthroat and steelies for the month of April, but its time to turn our attention fully back to the salt... getting the boat salty on Friday evening and seeing what I can drum up.

I don't fish 9 mile very often, its a fairly long burn from the Lighthouse when there's much closer fishing grounds on the outside that produce for me. It can be very good at times, but I don't know the timing, tides, or area very well.

I definitely wouldn't hesitate to get my gear wet if I was up there though! Let us know how you do. Might want to check the regs for RCA's if your not familiar with the area, there's a few up there.

Gonna give it a shot for sure if time permits. We'll be in Clohom at the end of the inlet so it's a bit of a run to 9 mile from there.Yes there's a huge portion of the inlet that's an RCA. I got a nice ling spot 500 yards away from where we stay. Im gonna stop at Powell River Marine traders on the way in and pick up one of the sea quilizers for rockfish and yelloweye.

Two years ago up there I was jigging about 70ft deep and had a huge hit thinking it was a Big ling, then it started to peel some line....Big spring? Ended being about 60lb curious snuffy took my jig in the shoulder. Tried to pop the hook out with the gaff but he was snarly and showing some big teeth.

I'll report back how it goes.

Finally after a long month of unrigging and rerigging my boat with a new to me F250 I got it back in the water last night, we went across to upwood for a few passes had one strike there and finished at Epsom on the back half of the high slack. Good action about an hour after the tide change, we kept three released a couple and lost a couple. Once the bite came on the action was constant, think we had 2 or 3 double headers, and even had two fish in the net at one time. All fish were on homeland security spoon and green splatterback hootchies. Awesome night

At quarry last night. Released a barely legal and kept a very passive 15. Had 3 very fresh herring in its tummy but still went for a purple hootchie. Man I wish this weather would smarten up.

I snuck out last night, missed one pin popper but really fought the tide. Gorgeous out tho.

Man I wish this weather would smarten up.

Me too, hoping the water tommorow afternoon is decent for a Thormanby/Texada circuit. Scout out a bit for the derby next weekend.

Back