shore fishing salmon

JamesF

When the salmon are in the area and where we went fishing we were not trolling far from shore, do people ever fish from the rocks and have much luck?

Yes. Don't know where you are at but here on V.I. there are quite a few places where people do it with success.

I hardly ever shore fish for salmon..but that said, many of the biggest Chinooks I have ever caught have been quite close to structure and rock shores.

Close enough that I could hit the spot from shore with a tossed rock.

Many Salmon are caught (by boat) in front of the Ucluelet Light House. If you are up to a hike Wya point north of town should be good

Many Salmon are caught (by boat) in front of the Ucluelet Light House. If you are up to a hike Wya point north of town should be good
Ya thats were i was guided last year I was up and there was a small island there to and was going to see if i could take a small boat out there and cast off the rocks...
also being so close to shore would I be able to get away with taking an old deep 16 ft fiberglass boat out to wya point or is that to dangerous?

In Victoria area Gordon Head, Taylor Beach, Beachy Head -East Sooke Park. Chrome Sting Zelda and spinning rod. Incoming high tide was always the best

Hi James. Florencia Island. The side that faces shore is too shallow. The N/W side is deep but you'd need to do rock climbing. The Lighthouse is nice & deep & a hotspot. Saw a 55lb caught there back in the 80's. Back in the 80's the locals would launch 10ft tinnies over the logs at Little Beach & fish the area known at Little Beach - they probably still do. Fishing just outside the kelp off Little Beach can be very good at times. FYI the Thorton Creek hatchery at the head of the Ucluelet inlet has a pretty good run; people actually troll the inlet mid-late Sept when it is too rough outside. I started fishing that area in 1982 & would take my 14 ft Livingston as far north as Long Beach or Portland Point launching in Tofino. So your boat to Wya is nice when conditions allow. Chart plotter/GPS is nice as there are many rocks near-shore on the way to Wya.

Back