Tow rig question

dmurph

Driving from whistler to vancouver yesterday to drop my wife's friend off at the airport. Myself, 2 ladies and 2 five year olds. Truck breaks down. Total let down, worst timing. My trucks a 08 f350 6.4, dpf egr delete h&s mini max tuner. A everyday driver that's been really reliable. Drove whistler to squamish and grabbed diesel from the native station there. Within a few km of fueling my truck starts vibrating and blowing white smoke. Super rough idle when I pulled over. What are your thoughts for any of you diesel guys? I am thinking injection problem from bad fuel maybe?

Any insight would be greatly appreciated, such a bummer. Had to have my mother in law drive up from vancouver to grab everyone and then I hitched back to whistler to grab our car which took forever, then immediately drove back to van to meet my sister who had just flown in from back east. Also boat is now stranded in my drive way with no tow rig. What a day. Scared the truck is gonna be real costly. No shop is even open until Tuesday of course

Yeah definitely put diesel. The pump I fueled from only has diesel, I fuel there often.

i am also seeing possible loss of compression in one or more cylinders.
injectors clogged or scued timing resulting in unburned fuel

one way to sort it out is if you have a bunch of blow-by it is compression = new engine time, if you have smoke that burns your eyes it is fuel = injector issues. if the smoke does not burn your eyes it is coolant = possible head gasket. do not drive it if you have injector problem or it will lead to loss of compression issue

with similar results from multiple causes
it would take a few key tests to gain
insight. not a time for short cuts

bad fuel which burnt up an injector or two. Hopefully didn't take out any rings in the process. Or it was just time for the injectors to let go. my vote is injectors.

Thanks fellas. Hope it's not to bad it's been a pretty reliable truck for the past 3 years only 140k on it

Well got horrible news today, cylinders 1 and 8 both had low compression. 8 had a cracked piston upon digging deeper. Not sure what the cause was or how much more damage there is. Motor is a write off with under 150k km on it.

Hey noluck,
You obviously are a knowledgeable diesel guy, why would the DPF regen cause a piston to crack? Too much heat burning in the DPF? Dmurph states he deleted it so not sure that would be the cause.

Back