Halibut/lingcod reel

Thanx guys I got the Avet lx6.0 from pnt in parksville I pick it up tomorrow
Spooled up with 65# braid matched with a new ugly stick
Enjoy!
One big thing to remember is to back the lever drag completely off before doing a drag adjustment. I made that mistake and it cost me but has been bullet proof after that

Also remember to fish it within it's drag capabilities (around 12lb). If you set the drag any higher the handle will start to bind crushing the pinion bearing.

It is best to store your reel with the drag backed off mostly. I leave the clicker engaged so that I can hear when/if line is going out when handling/transporting the rod and reel. I have had the same reel for more than 5 years and love it for jigging both halibut and lings. It will easily handle 2 lb on a spreader bar if required as well, but mine is used mostly for jigging.

...Rob

do you guys store the reel with the drag off right?

I store mine completely backed off with the clicker on. Keep the drag on though during the end day fresh water hose down....then back them off. I tie a down rigger ball at the end of my line to set my drags at the correct drag setting.

I've been shopping for a new levelwind hali rig, I prefer my reels left hand wind and find the selection mighty thin. Any one have any suggestions?

I've been shopping for a new levelwind hali rig, I prefer my reels left hand wind and find the selection mighty thin. Any one have any suggestions?
Buddy, look at the Shimano Torium. I have one and a few of my friends as well. Silky smooth drag, great price and Shimano reliability. I know where you can get a LH model as well. It may not be a levelwind but you won't be disappointed. It takes very little work to get used to a non-levelwind. You just turn your wrist as you reel and it spreads the line across the spool. PM me if you are interested.

The Shimano Torium reels all have a 6.2 gear ratio. Makes a great butterfly jig or live bait reel.....but not sure it would be my go to halibut reel. I would would want something 5.o or less for a gear ratio.

Buddy, look at the Shimano Torium. I have one and a few of my friends as well. Silky smooth drag, great price and Shimano reliability. I know where you can get a LH model as well. It may not be a levelwind but you won't be disappointed. It takes very little work to get used to a non-levelwind. You just turn your wrist as you reel and it spreads the line across the spool. PM me if you are interested.

That looks like a nice piece of gear, but not sure about the turning my wrist while I wind part.

That looks like a nice piece of gear, but not sure about the turning my wrist while I wind part.
Maybe I didn't explain it well. Until you use one its hard to explain. A slight turn of the wrist with the odd touch pushing the line is all it takes. Less moving parts, longer lasting reel, less chance of failure compared to a levelwind binding up on a running fish. I've seen some guides up here in Campbell River now using conventional (non-levelwind) reels on their salmon trolling gear.

As for the retrieve rate, if you are using a pool cue and/or leaving a rod in a holder and relying solely on the gearing of the real to bring up the fish then yes get a lower geared real or maybe a two speed. If you are using more technique and the bend in the rod to bring the fish up with the reel more just taking up slack then the 6.2:1 isn't an issue IMHO anyway. Just food for thought...

I have several avets - if 2 speeds are too pricey - I suggest the 4.6 ratio JX or LX for bottom fishing as a compromise between the 6.0 and 2 spd

Back