2017 Nootka Sound/Esperanza Inlet Reports

Any reports from nootka? Specifically prawning? I heard a rumor it was the *****, 5/ trap. Anyone been or heard otherwise? I also have heard a rumor that prawning will be closed down next year for several years. Can anyone confirm these rumors?

As long as there is a commercial opportunity it will remain open...heard rumours it was slow...

Think I'm gonna lose it..........79 days to go. Cannot wait to get out to Nootka. Wish I felt this way about work.

Will be up again this August staying at Critter cove again can't wait. Does anyone do any crabbing around Nootka?

No crabs in nootka sound sorry
Looks like you borrowed my gaff ya bugga! that'll be a beer next time I see ya! prawning apparently extremely bleek... Comies clean em out 2 years ago guess dfo thinks its time to shut er down now they are all gone! awesome conservation of a once great resource... so frustrating

Looks like you borrowed my gaff ya bugga! that'll be a beer next time I see ya! prawning apparently extremely bleek... Comies clean em out 2 years ago guess dfo thinks its time to shut er down now they are all gone! awesome conservation of a once great resource... so frustrating
and i'm talking about prawns... them furry little buggas did the crabs

Staying in cougar creek. In search of prawns crab and the unlikely spring.
Leave the crab traps at home I caught 14 one year a have not caught one since.

Only a beer? Thing is so bent I have to play a lead when swinging. Wonder what Ballsdeep gonna cost me when I "borrow" it later? Pilsner lol?

War Wagon is fueled, ice down Saturday, then paddling North West. Quick stop for a pick up in Club Zed, then wandering out to commence this year's troll effort. Will try and report in from time to time if the hotel in Club Zed has internet access still...

Cheers,
Nog

War Wagon is fueled, ice down Saturday, then paddling North West. Quick stop for a pick up in Club Zed, then wandering out to commence this year's troll effort. Will try and report in from time to time if the hotel in Club Zed has internet access still...

Cheers,
Nog
Good luck and be safe

Last edited:
Just back from a few days prawning out of Tahsis. Great accommodation at Westview Marina, but the prawning not so good. After 3 full days on the water, we were able to get our limits, but man it was tough! Lots of empty pulls. Sure hope they shut that area to Commercial this year. According to several locals, it's been pretty much decimated an needs at least a year off to recover.

Went to Nootka last weekend looking for some prawns and crabs. while the crabbing was pretty good, the prawning was terrible. Our prawn traps were filling with hake which i have not seen before in the sound. worst prawning i have ever seen as well, we ended up with 100 in 2 days. at least they were Jumbos. too windy to get offshore and look for any Halis.

Went to Nootka last weekend looking for some prawns and crabs. while the crabbing was pretty good, the prawning was terrible. Our prawn traps were filling with hake which i have not seen before in the sound. worst prawning i have ever seen as well, we ended up with 100 in 2 days. at least they were Jumbos. too windy to get offshore and look for any Halis.
Any salmon?

Back