craigslist electric downriggers

Don't be afraid to buy old downriggers people. I had one that I thought would be a writeoff, took it into scotty, and the good guys there replaced everything electrical, the counter and the brake. Works like new now. Will NEVER buy a downrigger that isn't scotty now. Did I mention it was all free of charge?

Don't be afraid to buy old downriggers people. I had one that I thought would be a writeoff, took it into scotty, and the good guys there replaced everything electrical, the counter and the brake. Works like new now. Will NEVER buy a downrigger that isn't scotty now. Did I mention it was all free of charge?
Just a note of caution. Scotty will sevice and repair your downrigger for free if you are the original owner. Not sure they extend this to second hand, pretty sure they don't.

Just a note of caution. Scotty will sevice and repair your downrigger for free if you are the original owner. Not sure they extend this to second hand, pretty sure they don't.

I'm 18 years old and I just got a 20+ year old downrigger repaird, so I don't know...

I'm 18 years old and I just got a 20+ year old downrigger repaird, so I don't know...
Awesome they did that for you, shows what a great company they are. My point though, is that when you buy a new rigger, on the registration card, it clearly states the warranty is for the ORIGINAL owner. So while it's great Scotty fixed your rigger for free, there is no guarantee they will continue to do so for second hand riggers. Something people should be aware of and factor in when buying used.

Awesome they did that for you, shows what a great company they are. My point though, is that when you buy a new rigger, on the registration card, it clearly states the warranty is for the ORIGINAL owner. So while it's great Scotty fixed your rigger for free, there is no guarantee they will continue to do so for second hand riggers. Something people should be aware of and factor in when buying used.

All very valid and true. I think part of the reason they are often willing is that a lot of people years ago didn't register their downriggers. It's so easy now with a click or two of the mouse.

The second reason is those riggers may have likely never had a previous claim on them and not needed repairs so treat it like he's the original owner.

Regarless of the what and why, exceptional customer service. They authorized a new control unit replacement for me in the past knowing I wasn't the original owner. I didn't hide it from them and was honest. They obviously utilize discretion in a positive sense which is refreshing these days.

They sent me up a switch, relay and circuit breaker for one of my 1106's no charge when I phoned looking for a wiring diagram for the relays. I told them I was not the original owner, that I wasn't looking for parts but they insisted on sending up the whole works. Terrific support from Scotty.

was one of the last ta switch over in our fleet
HP all the way now , changin my 3rd one as well next week ,
no more clickidy clackidy , Smooth Fast ,heavier balls
more fish time on the banks , Love them

imo of coarse

and yes , hands down , the best warranty in the game , original owner or not ,
they send me free parts all the time , cant thank them enough

fd

Be mindful of whose riggers you are buying off CL. They may be stolen.

Every year or two I hear of someone in either my Marina or the next marina over where downriggers went "awol".

Building or upgrading your boat on a budget is nice but feeding theives isn't.

Likewise a guy on Lower Mainland Craigslist who always seemed to have new riggers for sale....bought on stolen credit cards...or lifted the previous night for that sale the next day.

Everyone should put a small, subtle identifying marking on riggers, sounders, rods and reels etc in an inconspicuous spot. Something like a tiny unique etching or nail polish mark.

Everyone should put a small, subtle identifying marking on riggers, sounders, rods and reels etc in an inconspicuous spot. Something like a tiny unique etching or nail polish mark.

Unless you are watching for your riggers on line instead of putting together on new ones and going fishing, it's hard to find and catch the creeps.

Personally, I believe the theives wait for someone to email them. They then have a bargain price on them which ensures a "sale". They then go and pick them off someone's boat or buy them with a stolen/fraudulent credit card and unload them to you for cash.

They then carry on and keep going with whatever else people are wanting.

I have bought them off of public sites like craigslist with no issues , i'm going to guess most criminals usually have them sold before they Rip em off , I don't think they're stupid enough to actually post it publicly
, so don't be detoured by buying things from craigslist , I think this is been hit way too hard lately , My transactions were smooth , When you meet the seller it would be quite obvious ,

Lets move on , buyer use some common sense
Fd

Back