Olympic Tackle Products

No Idea Ringo, wish I could help you out. My personal suggestion is if you like flys for the ocean why not take up tying your own. Most of those patterns look pretty simple to tie. I'm a little out of practice myself, but I'm hoping to get back into it soon.

Thanks, guys. I'll go down this weekend to take a look.
TBG: I agree that tying those flies would be cheaper and also more satisfying to catch fish with them however, I don't have the equipment to make my own spinners. From what I've seen, those squid spinners work very well for coho when fished with a Dipsy Diver and light fluro leaders.

Oh oh now you've done it. A fly with a dipsy rigged on fluoro? All the chovy guys will be just champing at the bit to poo poo your non traditional methods.

When I was having a tough time catching fish last summer with the standard gear on the riggers, the dipsy divers were actually outproducing the riggers. They do work well at times.

You can buy the blades you like in bulk and make your own clevis for spinners from stainless wire. It's pretty simple to do. You can even make the clevis a quick change to switch blades.

CNSClevis.jpg InterchangeClevises.jpg
YouTube has vids on how to make them. Just add a few beads, then your home made clevis and blade onto the leader. Simple and cheap DIY.

Oh oh now you've done it. A fly with a dipsy rigged on fluoro? All the chovy guys will be just champing at the bit to poo poo your non traditional methods.

When I was having a tough time catching fish last summer with the standard gear on the riggers, the dipsy divers were actually outproducing the riggers. They do work well at times.

You can buy the blades you like in bulk and make your own clevis for spinners from stainless wire. It's pretty simple to do. You can even make the clevis a quick change to switch blades.

View attachment 32285 View attachment 32286
YouTube has vids on how to make them. Just add a few beads, then your home made clevis and blade onto the leader. Simple and cheap DIY.
Ha Ha :D Maybe we should start a different thread but as you mentioned, a squid spinner or a fly under a dipsy can be very productive at times. I'm going to do some research on the clevis and see if I can save some $$. As always, thanks for the tip TBG. :)

There are also Grand Slam Bucktails. Www.grandslambucktails.com. A WA based small company with a very proven track record for catching coho and chinook. Can fish them like a hoochie or way off the back on your center rod on the surface.

Thanks. Are you aware of any local retailers on the mainland who carry their products?

The only Canadian retailer that carries them is at critter cove in their shop.

Lots of WA based stores carry them. Olympic tackle in Bellingham, johns sporting good in everett, outdoor emporium, ted's sporting goods, Eds sporting goods, harbor marine, three rivers...

Available online with free shipping over $100 order. Otherwise shipping is $6.

Hope this helps.

FWIW-Any monkey can make a spinner using two pairs of pliers I've used just one and to prove a point my bare fingers all you have to do is twist an eye in the wire those forming tools are totally unnecessary a pair of wire cutters helps

See attached scan from an old catalogue for details-and if you really want Coho use two small spinner blades not one big one-drives 'em crazy-Seagulls too though if you fish it on the surface.

Attachments

• IMGP3880.JPG
    IMGP3880.JPG
    253.1 KB · Views: 98
  • IMGP3881.JPG
    IMGP3881.JPG
    248.7 KB · Views: 94
  • IMGP3885.JPG
    IMGP3885.JPG
    336.5 KB · Views: 94
  • Spinner Making.pdf
    390.7 KB · Views: 22
Round nose pliers help too, but are not absolutely necessarry . They just help you form a more uniform round eye. Like DB says, forming tools are nice and professesinal, but not essential.

Thanks guys.
DB: that PDF is really good. Do you have a preference on the size and color of the french blades for when you fish clear vs. murky water?

Thanks. Are you aware of any local retailers on the mainland who carry their products?
The Tackle Shack at Pacific Playgrounds just got a large shipment of these. They are real beauties...can't wait to try them!

Attachments

• Grand Slam Bucktails.png
    Grand Slam Bucktails.png
    1.5 MB · Views: 72
  • Grand Slam Bucktails Models.jpg
    Grand Slam Bucktails Models.jpg
    64.7 KB · Views: 64
Back