Camper/Cabin for a 12 x 24 dock

Looking for some input and ideas for a spot in Nootka Sound.

I have a dock that is 12' x 24' and I want to eventually build a cabin on it. It is anchored year round and has been there for 5 years trouble free (not destroyed by weather).

I'm thinking of placing a truck camper on it for a few years while I build the cabin around it.

Does anyone have any input on thoughts / ideas about this.

If anyone has a cabin for sale? Camper? I'm open to all idea's at this point but would like to start the project asap to be ready for fishing in a couple months.

Thanks in advance.

WOW! 24 views and no one has any thoughts on this?
Not sure we all have the right slant on what you are asking. Do you already have a bare 12 x24 dock or raft anchored on a water lease in Nootka sound? If this is correct you want some ideas of what to put on it? If you are asking about putting a raft into Nootka Sound then that is a more difficult and different kettle of fish!! Lots of rules now!!

Great! Thank you for clarifying what I'm trying to ask.

I have an existing dock already on a lease. I want to put something on it.

Also wondering about vandalism and theft? Is there much of that in this area for these types of "cabins"?

I know nothing about the areas regulations, so this is only a guess. I've got the feeling having a water lease for a dock, and a floating cabin/home are very different things. You need to check into the regs very carefully before proceeding. You may very well find that building a permanent floating residence is not permitted. If that is the case your best move may be to buy an old cheap powerless boat with a galley and sleeping berths and tow it to your dock. Hopefully someone who knows the areas regs will chime in.

Last edited:
There are lots of reg.s now in Nootka regarding floating cabins including pick-up of all gray and black water. Taxes are around 2500 a year. I would really investigate before committing

You have a regulatory and a significant engineering problem to figure out. How much floatation are you going to need? How stable is the dock?

Alrighty then, Looks like i got some homework to do here.

1. Phone calls to the leaser to discuss what opportunities are available and what restrictions are in place.
a) phone calls made, waiting to hear back from them. Might be a few days.

2. Find out who built the dock and get the flotation specs.
a) phone call made, waiting to hear back.

Dock is on Blige Island. Closer to Beer-Can Bay. Very awesome location and looking forward to spending time there this summer.

Alrighty then, Looks like i got some homework to do here.

1. Phone calls to the leaser to discuss what opportunities are available and what restrictions are in place.
a) phone calls made, waiting to hear back from them. Might be a few days.

2. Find out who built the dock and get the flotation specs.
a) phone call made, waiting to hear back.

Dock is on Blige Island. Closer to Beer-Can Bay. Very awesome location and looking forward to spending time there this summer.

Also you must take into consideration the fact that the dock has survived winter storms to this point means very little. The stress on the float, chains, and anchors will increase dramatically with any weight and height (increased wind resistance) added to the float. You need to investigate everything very carefully before making any changes.

as a camper owner id be leery of this. unless you already have a camper to plunk on it for a while, id much rather build something 2x4 framed with a proper roof and insulation. would last much better have less issues with leaks and corroding siding could easily prefab a camper sized shack and assemble it on the dock

I'd build a nice slightly raised pad on the dock and throw up a wall tent for the summer with a small diesel heater . Make sure you anchor it well to the dock and it will give you way more useable sq footage than a camper. They are light, reasonably easy to put up and not overly expensive. Take it down in the fall when you are done .

I know the spot, well protected. I believe you will run into issues getting approval for a cabin as like many have said there are many new regulations. Good luck too ya

A decent non rotted out camper that's gonna survive out there won't be cheap. Depending what you find reg wise a possible work around could be a decent clean older 26' Tolly or something tied up there. Call it your floating cabin for a price similar to a camper and no engineering hassles. Build a gazebo with a tin roof and some wall panels on a track that could be slid open on sunny days or closed up when ****** and you'd have a good hangout space.

Last edited:
A decent non rotted out camper that's gonna survive out there won't be cheap. Depending what you find reg wise a possible work around could be a decent clean older 26' Tolly or something tied up there. Call it your floating cabin for a price similar to a camper and no engineering hassles. Build a gazebo with a tin roof and some wall panels on a track that could be slid open on sunny days or closed up when ****** and you'd have a good hangout space.
That is a great idea. I've found one a friend has that has to be rebuilt. My only cover would be how to keep someone from steeling it cause it'll just be tied up.

That is a great idea. I've found one a friend has that has to be rebuilt. My only cover would be how to keep someone from steeling it cause it'll just be tied up.

Insure it and let em. Don't sweat it, you could stress about vandals and thieves no matter what's there. It's probably pretty unlikely, that's a tough rig to hide. There's also tons of tiny no subscription gps trackers out there nowadays for well under $100.

I built a hunting cabin out of a 20' sea can it works awesome. Running water, wood stove, stove, table and bunk beds. Very water tight I also had it sprayfoamed for insulation. I built a wall across the 8' opening when u open the barn doors. In the wall is a window and door so when u close up the barn doors to leave for the weekend it's pretty hard to break into.

aluminum gaden shed like this one would be perfect and price is good too.It will never mold or rot ,add a wood stove ,and it would be done in one trip with your boat.DSCF2114.JPG

Back