4000 Dollars for an impeller change???

I was thinking jet impeller. I bought my outboard insert a screwdrith a prop strike and broken driveshaft. Came out easy with gravity. Did they try taking it off to dertimine it was seized? It's just splined.
Housings and studs can get pretty tight!
They told him that they were unable to move the gearcase housing down at all, not even enough to insert a screw driver blade.

OMG, unbelievable. My only suggestion to get the most life out of the current impeller is for him to flush the motor in a freshwater drum after every use in the chuck. Add clean motor oil to the water and bump it into gear briefly to mix the oil into the water. It lubricates the impeller and will hopefully extend its life until it is replaced. Sorry that's all I can suggest, bad luck for him.
He keeps his boat in a marina all summer, but uses the flushing port each time with salt away. Unfortunately it is done with the engine not running so I don't think that the impeller sees any freshwater.

Well at least the power head should be in decent shape getting flushed with salt away regularly. Too bad about the leg not much he can do for it if its in the salt most of the time. Is it an ali or fiber boat. Electolosis might be at play here so he should really keep up on cleaning and replacing the leg and hull anodes regularly. Don't forget the anodes in the power head too.

They told him that they were unable to move the gearcase housing down at all, not even enough to insert a screw driver blade.

make sure they're removing the bolt that's under the anode on the leg. alot of people forget to remove it and it's holding the lower section of leg to the upper where they usually try to split it. . seen a few guys struggle because of that. It can be kinda hidden if you didn't know about it. I would think a marine shop would know about it though.

I'll give my opinion. With enough ingenuity the leg will come off. The shaft will separate from the jabsco style impeller...even if it needs to be cut off. I mean really it is a quite simple mechanical item. I'm positive any clever mechanical guy could figure it out. $4k is rediculous

I can see it being 4k. To cut the drive shaft you need to get to it, most likely the midsection will need to be cut and replaced

this is a ****** deal, think of the stress you are putting on the crank bearings trying to remove the leg, they will not like it

Ouch that s lot of money .

Small size = small cost big size = big cost.
As the parts for cost.
Every 100 hours to do oil change and an impeller
I always put some lube on impeller.

I just replaced an impellor on an 89 40 hp Suzuki been in there since new-was still working--- maybe he should just run it-does he have a kicker to get home on??

Is it common with yamahas? Did they remove all the bolts? There is a hidden one at the back for the trim tab.
Corrosion can build up between studs and housing. Could be water tube but I can't imagine the drive shaft seizing into the power head.

Is it common with yamahas? Did they remove all the bolts? There is a hidden one at the back for the trim tab.
Corrosion can build up between studs and housing. Could be water tube but I can't imagine the drive shaft seizing into the power head.
I replaced an impellor on a 225 yammi after 8 years and it was a beast. After all the bolts were removed there was no movement-I got some Fallers wedges from Northern rope (hard plastic) cut them into
3/4 inch wide strips and proceded banging them in around the casing-after 2 days I got it to drop. Very heavy-have it secured---went back in easily

Wow triplenickle this was supposed to be a thread about helping a guy with his motor issues (which I was trying to do). Your making out like I'm the Exxon Valdez. I only use enough oil to cover the surface water of the tank. Were talking a like maybe 4 ounces here not 5 gallons. It creates very little mess take my word. You guys are getting beyond silly with this.

Also, I'm pretty sure impellers are manufactured from nitrile synthetic rubber these days not natural rubber. I'd think you'd have to be dealing with a very old impeller for any oil based product to affect it. Most engine components have not used natural rubber for a very long time I believe.

Why don't you and bones keep the mudslinging to the conservation forum, and leave the constructive posts in the main forum alone.
I'll tell you what, I have the old impellers out of my F150's, i'm going to toss one in a tub of oil for a week or two and let you know.
I'm betting they soften and swell,
back in my auto days I had more than a few customers get towed in with brake calipers seized up cause they accidentally topped up their fluid with the wrong stuff, that being engine oil,
all of the "rubber" items needed to be replaced in the entire system as everything had swelled and seized in the cylinders, (BTW it is covered by icbc if anyone knows of anybody this may have happened to)....just saying

I don't believe natural rubber is used in most engine components anymore. I could be wrong, but I think synthetic rubber has pretty much replaced it.

Found this online. The part I highlighted seems like something that should be tried before cutting the shaft.

First , remove the propeller , no need to have an additional 20 pounds dangling out there . It is for sure your drive shaft stuck in the bottom of the crank . Get or fab some good pry bars to apply constant pressure and continue to pry and tap with a large shot filled dead blow hammer while a friend is cranking the engine over with the kill lanyard puled . sometimes this will help dislodge the stuck lower unit . This situation is a good example why to perform the redunant task of changing the water pump every year , keep the parts moving .
In extreme cases sometimes a hole is drilled in the midsection so the drive shaft can be cut to remove the stuck unit .

I just replaced an impellor on an 89 40 hp Suzuki been in there since new-was still working--- maybe he should just run it-does he have a kicker to get home on??
He does have an 8hp kicker, so it would be enough to get him home ( maybe) He did have that waterpump replaced along with the housing, which had partially melted, so he is good in that respect. What I really need is some opinion on my Mcgiver temporary on the water solution. He knows it will have to be replaced but is hoping to put it off for awhile.

Back