Halibut/lingcod reel

Randy waugh

hey guys I'm just considering getting a new
Bottom fish reel for jigging would like to budget under 300
I'm leaning towards the shimano Tr2000ld
Charter special any of you guys running these?

i used charter specials for years... good, durable and affordable.

What lb line will you be using? I'd stay away from a levelwind...I and a few friends use the Shimano Torium 14 (as well as few other more expensive Shimano's). They have super silky smooth drag and will carry 360 yards of 50lb test. If you go with Maxcuatro line by Power Pro you could up that to 360 yards of 65lb test as it's 25% thinner. Retail for $279. Twice the reel of the Shimano TR2000LD in my opinion. The TR2000LD holds 550yds of 50lb power pro, not sure you need that kind of capacity to be honest. Just my .02...

http://fish.shimano.com/content/sac-fish/en/home/products/fishing-reels/beach/torium.html

When you get a little older you really appreciate a level wind over a conventional. Arthritis and cold days don't make for comfortable fishing with a conventional reel. Nice to have at least one level wind in case you take out passengers that aren't used to having to do that themselves. Ya they require more maintenance, but I prefer them for bottom fishing. To each their own I guess.

Look into the Shimano TLD20, in the 2 speed version.
If you get tired, kick it into LOW.
Fabulous when you are into your 15th albie too...

When you get a little older you really appreciate a level wind over a conventional. Arthritis and cold days don't make for comfortable fishing with a conventional reel. Nice to have at least one level wind in case you take out passengers that aren't used to having to do that themselves. Ya they require more maintenance, but I prefer them for bottom fishing. To each their own I guess.
I agree with TheBigGuy in some respects. My wife and son both love levelwinds. I have a Shimano Cardiff 400A and a Shimano Tekota 300 that they use for jigging. They don't have to think about anything then. As for Olde School, I'm a reasonably fit guy and don't think that I could jig with a TLD20 all day. Man that thing is a beast at almost 24oz. Way too clunky for me...

I used to use Knuckle Busters, but have switched to level winds (Shimano Tekota 600 LC or Daiwa 47H. Usually fish a few feet off the bottom, and catch salmon, cod, halibut and lings. The Tekota handles it all and is way faster retrieving the line than the Knuckle Buster.

Ive got Penn 330GTs. The reels work fine, but Im not really a fan of that style of reel. I saw somebody mention the other day they use a big saltwater spinning reel for bottomfishing, which would be ideal if youre reeling up and dropping back down a lot as opposed to just sitting on the pick for hali.

If i was doing it over again, Id go with a heavy duty saltwater spinning reel, on a stiff 6 foot rod, spooled with braid and a swivel to attach a short mono leader for jigging.

I use knuckle busters - leave the rod in the holder, set the drag fairly tight, crank-down til the rod really bends, wait til the rod straightens them repeat. Save the sport fishing for Salmon.

I use the Avet 6.0 reel, very nice reel which handles the flatso's very nicely...

Attachments

• avet-lx-6-0-mc-single-speed-lever-drag-casting-reels.jpg
    avet-lx-6-0-mc-single-speed-lever-drag-casting-reels.jpg
    84.1 KB · Views: 72
Thanx oilslick these look nice where did you get yours ? Online?
I'm from Whiterock, don't know who sells them locally but I noticed that Harbour Chandler in Nanaimo carried them for a decent price - $350 for the Avet 6.0 - 1, it was the best purchase I've made in awhile, so good that I'm going back for another :)

I use the Avet 6.0 reel, very nice reel which handles the flatso's very nicely...
Myself and most of my guide buddies run these for halibut, lings and albacore. Pretty decent reels for the money

I'm from Whiterock, don't know who sells them locally but I noticed that Harbour Chandler in Nanaimo carried them for a decent price - $350 for the Avet 6.0 - 1, it was the best purchase I've made in awhile, so good that I'm going back for another :)
Avet are available locally at PNT in Steveston

Thanx guys I got the Avet lx6.0 from pnt in parksville I pick it up tomorrow
Spooled up with 65# braid matched with a new ugly stick

Back