2017 Victoria and Oak Bay Reports

went out on saturday with gordon from foghorn and had an absolute blast! did a full day charter and got a sweet 43 and a 56!
Gord is a great guy and a wealth of knowledge. I highly recommend taking a trip with him if you have the chance. We picked his brain about fishing all day long and he gave us tons of great info. I made a little video of our trip if anyone wants to check it out:

went out on saturday with gordon from foghorn and had an absolute blast! did a full day charter and got a sweet 43 and a 56!
Gord is a great guy and a wealth of knowledge. I highly recommend taking a trip with him if you have the chance. We picked his brain about fishing all day long and he gave us tons of great info. I made a little video of our trip if anyone wants to check it out:
Thanks. Beautiful stuff, I had a feeling you guys did well. Thanks for the report..

Really cool video.. makes me want to break out the gear and go Hali fishing! I was off Albert Head between 5-6 tonight and came back in with a nice 6lb and 8lb winter. Lost a nice one and released a small feeder. All on no banannas spoons on the bottom anywhere between 90-130'. Lots of bait showing on the depth sounder too

Fished the west end of Constance this morning and pickup up a nice halibut on herring near the end of the ebb.
No dogs, no scrap fish, just the way we like it.
One is all we wanted so came in right after...around 10 in a snotty Northeast wind.

I trolled constance for an hour on sunday morning with one small wild released for my efforts - I saw very little bait which is a change from a couple of weeks ago (lots of bait). Pulled up and went to Albert Head. Lots of bait at Albert head but didn't get a bite.. realized that my flashers were twisted together the whole time! decided to come in - full crab traps and one nice fellow traded me a small salmon slab (caught at Albert Head) for a crab so we still had a nice dinner :)

Off Albert again this evening trolling over the humps; one in the boat at 8lbs, lost a beaut and released a small one. -all on the green with black splatter coho killer and both bit right on top of the reef off Albert in 70' water. Beauty of an evening but lost a cannon ball on the reef while trying to play a fish :(

Anyone been out since Monday? How's Constance?
Thinking of running out there tomorrow morning and wondering how it's been.
Big freighter still anchored on Constance?

Took a chance at Constance and got lucky. Few bites around 9 and ended up with a nice 8.5lb hatch spring.

Water was surprisingly calm and the day warmed up real nice.

Caught on anchovie with green UV teaser and bon chovy flasher, 80ft by the 3 shoals that look like a triangle.

Attachments

• 20170319_132731.jpg
    20170319_132731.jpg
    625.2 KB · Views: 67
Out with a well known local charter operation today-Best day weather wise so far this year conditions were near perfect fishing wasn't too bad either!

IMGP3858_zpssvvrwt8n.jpg

IMGP3859_zpscexe18bi.jpg

IMGP3862_zpsmyfbomti.jpg

IMGP3865_zpsgl4zkxzg.jpg

IMGP3863_zpscxro5bh7.jpg

IMGP3870_zpsoirrnahr.jpg

Fishing is a blood sport!

IMGP3871_zpsz1yz9dof.jpg

IMGP3873_zpsxubfvvnq.jpg

Arty looking shot no idea how this happened

IMGP3875_zpsq5utdbge.jpg

Heading for the barn after a stellar day

IMGP3877_zpsfuao6ynp.jpg

Home safe on the dock

IMGP3878_zps6avmveb0.jpg

Now the real work begins!

Thanks for posting those Dogbreath. I'll add a few - the stars aligned yesterday for sure... great morning, great crew....
special thanks to Roy!

IMG_4036.JPG IMG_4055.JPG IMG_4049.JPG hali.jpg 45_44_28.jpg

Great job guys:)... Snuck down there myself for the morning fish and found a couple too... ;) Found this yesterday grabbing some grocery ...

Attachments

• 20170320_162135.jpg
    20170320_162135.jpg
    282 KB · Views: 166
FYI ...at $32/ lb - 3 halis at total 117 lbs for our catch ( =64 lbs of fillets) for a mornings fish .....thats $2,048 worth of halibut. Add the fun catching and the sun .....not a bad day!

Course I still would have had a great day with no fish to take home. What a great place we live :)

HA,HA ,at those prices The 2 halibut we got today works out to about $875. Not bad for 1 1/2 hours fishing.

fished monday after work from 430-8
dropped gear at the breakwater and went past esquimalt and down to clover with no bites or anything. Guys at the ramp said its been pretty quiet out there lately.

Spring.jpg Fished off Albert Head yesterday evening for a couple hrs (BWD was wrong about the wind BTW - it was rough out!). released one 3lb, kept one around 6-7lbs and lost a slab at the boat (probably would have to have released her anyways). All on the splatter back coho killer RIGHT on the bottom in 120' - 140' deep.

Back