2017 Gulf Island Reports

Thanks Tincan. The advise is much appreciated. Ill be heading out in a few weeks as I am off to the mainland for a bit. Hope to get out near the end of the month. I have never trolled on the bottom before. A bit Leary about hooking up gear.

anyone know if the Crofton boat launch is a safe lot to leave a truck and trailer for a few days in June? how about tides needed there for a 26'. is Ladysmith a better bet?

anyone know if the Crofton boat launch is a safe lot to leave a truck and trailer for a few days in June? how about tides needed there for a 26'. is Ladysmith a better bet?
I wouldn't be too worried about leaving my truck and trailer there, lots of locals around keeping an eye on stuff. Launch gets shallow at low tide, stick close to the ferry terminal and you'll be alright. Dusted my prop there once trying to turn around on low tide, lesson learned about sticking close to the terminal.
Cheers

Fishing was pretty decent this past weekend in the gulf islands. Heard of boats fishing a variety of places (pender, fairfax, porlier) and they all managed to drag up a keeper or two with some smaller shakers in the mix to keep things busy. We fished the east side of galiano and a few spots in trincomali channel and managed to find 3 nice keepers for our efforts. We also caught a really nice whale show on Sunday when the sun was shining and the seas where calm so that was a nice bonus. Spoons (skinny g) near bottom were working for us.

Good to hear that people are managing to grind some fish out. Haven't been out since the beginning of January, were chomping at the bit to get back on the water.

Finally had some good weather over the past 2 weekends and got in some fishing. Fairfax, Cable Bay, Porlier and Tent Island is where I scouted my last few times out and had decent success, although nothing topped 12 lbs which was fine by me. There were definitely a few lulls in action over my 4 days on the water but also some very good bites where I'd get 4-5 hits in 30 mins, mostly undersized however. I mostly fished the Gibbs Skinny G spoons but also had some good hits on anchovies. Fishing pretty deep this time of year as most of my success was in the 150-200 ft range on the rigger... trolling quickly as well.

I have also signed up for the galiano derby on May 27th out of montague and suggest others do so soon, especially if you need moorage and accom and that will go quickly. late May should be some great fishing over there so hopefully the weather cooperates!

https://www.facebook.com/galianosalmonclassic/

Hi there,
Does anyone know what the regs are for bottom fishing in the narrows (samsun)? Couldnt find them.

Hi there,
Does anyone know what the regs are for bottom fishing in the narrows (samsun)? Couldnt find them.
I'm not 100%, but I believe rockfish and Lingcod are closed until May. Burgoyne Bay is also closed to fishing as it is an RCA. So that would only allow retention of a few misc other bottom species such as Pacific (true) Cod, Cabezon, Kelp Greenling, etc. Best to check yourself though, as I'm just going by memory and I don't fish there often.

I'm not 100%, but I believe rockfish and Lingcod are closed until May. Burgoyne Bay is also closed to fishing as it is an RCA. So that would only allow retention of a few misc other bottom species such as Pacific (true) Cod, Cabezon, Kelp Greenling, etc. Best to check yourself though, as I'm just going by memory and I don't fish there often.
Ling and rock fish are closed until May 1
Burgoyne and Maple bay both are RCAs. That means NO fishing of any kind. Go to DFOs site and you can print out the maps of the RCAs
Good idea to carry them around in the boat with you.

Ya basically, unless you know a good Cabezon hole no point in bottom fishing until may. I only know one spot close to Saltspring with good Cabezon fishing where you won't catch Ling or Rockfish. So, for all intents and purposes it's basically closed till may. No point in giving barotrama to Rockfish that can't be retained.

Ya basically, unless you know a good Cabezon hole no point in bottom fishing until may. I only know one spot close to Saltspring with good Cabezon fishing where you won't catch Ling or Rockfish. So, for all intents and purposes it's basically closed till may. No point in giving barotrama to Rockfish that can't be retained.

Would someone be able to post a link to the DFO website that states this closure? When I use the "Finfish Species and Limits Table" (http://www.pac.dfo-mpo.gc.ca/fm-gp/rec/species-especes/fintable-tableaupoisson-eng.html) on the website and then click on the "In-season decisions page" (http://www.pac.dfo-mpo.gc.ca/fm-gp/rec/season-saison/index-eng.html#fin-other) I can't seem to find where is says Ling and Rockfish are closed until May 1..... But I often find the DFO website difficult to navigate. Thanks!

Would someone be able to post a link to the DFO website that states this closure? When I use the "Finfish Species and Limits Table" (http://www.pac.dfo-mpo.gc.ca/fm-gp/rec/species-especes/fintable-tableaupoisson-eng.html) on the website and then click on the "In-season decisions page" (http://www.pac.dfo-mpo.gc.ca/fm-gp/rec/season-saison/index-eng.html#fin-other) I can't seem to find where is says Ling and Rockfish are closed until May 1..... But I often find the DFO website difficult to navigate. Thanks!
DFO website is useless. It doesn't specify Rockfish as a separate species are closed. It just has them under the same category heading and dates as the Ling closure. You must read it carefully to figure that out. Useless bureaucrats make everything as clear as mud on their pathetic website.

DFO website is useless. It doesn't specify Rockfish as a separate species are closed. It just has them under the same category heading and dates as the Ling closure. You must read it carefully to figure that out. Useless bureaucrats make everything as clear as mud on their pathetic website.

Thanks TBG, it's hard to believe that a website the public must rely on for pertinent and time sensitive information can be so poorly managed..... but I'm still not ruling out user error! I still can't find the Ling closure......o_O

SoupKnot, it may not be listed as a closure. It may be by default closed, and then there are open seasons you have to monitor. It's similar with sockeye. Assume it is closed, until you know that it is open.

Glad to finally be able to post in here. Had a good St. Patricks day at porlier, with about 15 hits, 3 kept. The green Tiger spoon was killing em. All on the outside. Barely legal spring, all in the 7-8lb range. All had large(6") herring in their stomachs, but were still hitting chovies and Tiger prawns. Obviously, green was the colour of choice.

Out for the pawning opener today, off of north reef. Prawning was pretty spotty for us, as well as crabbing but we did get our fair share. Trolled at tent island while the pots soaked, not much action at all. Couple shakers, saw one other guy fighting a fish. Lots of boats on the water today! it was packed trying to get your traps down it was a sea of bouys for miles. No wind and sun for most of the day, couldn't ask for much more.

Any body fish East Point off Saturna and any advice on best time of year or can it be good all year around ? Heard to watch out for SW winds.

Back