2017 Nootka Sound/Esperanza Inlet Reports

Booked. August long at moutcha. Hopefully they show up again.

Were there this year, July long, Aug long, another weekend in Aug, Sept long, and end of Sept for deer and fish. Older trophy in esperenza or a loud house on alpine dr, possibly golfing at the school, lol

Curious to know when somebody goes for prawns this next month how they make out??? Last year was an absolute joke... grounds were decimated ... id love to make a trip out there in March if its positive.

I'm a Nootka lifer but I've never really fished for Hali's other than trolling in the mouth of the sound and getting the occasional chicken. This year I'm determined to anchor and pull in a few however I don't know where to focus my efforts. Does anyone have any tips where to fish and what kind of structure I should be looking for.

Thanks

its actually a low number...but they are expecting double the 5 year old fish this year verses last year...so if we have better water conditions then last year I would say it could be a lot more fun then the 2016 season even with less fish returning....

aren't the numbers supposed to be up in the 90,000? hoping there bigger this year, love to see a tub of 25+'s

That number looks low considering what I heard the commercial guys take out. But then again its all about sharing the resource. Size matters so maybe 5 year fish will make the difference. I am going to go earlier than normal this year so hopefully they show up earlier. Will be there last week of June then again the first of July with my crew....

Yup.. I hear u.... I love being up there... just paid the deposit for our stay there for this year..end of July.. 1st week of Aug. :)

Booked in at Moutcha again this year for second week
of July. 18 weeks left to get the boat fixed and tested. Can't wait. Hoping to get some Hali's this year.

Critter from July 19th to 23rd. Jewitt Cove from the 23rd to 27th.......Can't wait!!!!!!!!!!!!

I'm a Nootka lifer but I've never really fished for Hali's other than trolling in the mouth of the sound and getting the occasional chicken. This year I'm determined to anchor and pull in a few however I don't know where to focus my efforts. Does anyone have any tips where to fish and what kind of structure I should be looking for.

Thanks

Troll till you find one then anchor and throw down the stink... lol

Last edited:

Thanks

Try just outside and south of the whistle buoy. 200 feet.
Make sure you are outside of the RCA

Back