2017 Sidney Reports

Some nice fish THX!. Fish Wain rock 7-1 today. Had the best bite I've experienced there from 7:30-9:30....Went 6 for 8 in that span( lost two mid teeners...One spat the hook and the other broke the hook at the boat before I could get the net under it). Ended up with a 12lb wild and 6lb hatch (kept the small one cause she was bleeding bad). IMG_20170220_155901.jpg

If anyone's processed one before I'd be interested to hear how it's done, what it ended up tasting like.

If anyone's processed one before I'd be interested to hear how it's done, what it ended up tasting like.
There are some good videos on Youtube. I'm going to try keeping one next time.And reference the videos again to process/ remove the cartilage.

Just shakers for me today between tacks at Fairfax and Hamley. Lots of feed on the sounder at Fairfax. Didnt fish too long at Hamley as the wind started to pick up. Saw RogersonCrusoe at the ramp as I was pulling out, maybe he'll have a better report!

Shake down cruise for my new fishing machine. Fished Coal and east side of Sidney/Mandarte Islands from 10 -1. No love.

Just shakers for me today between tacks at Fairfax and Hamley. Lots of feed on the sounder at Fairfax. Didnt fish too long at Hamley as the wind started to pick up. Saw RogersonCrusoe at the ramp as I was pulling out, maybe he'll have a better report!
I didn't even get shakers!

Wain Rock had a few boats around, but didn't see any action at all. It was really nice and calm there though, so that's a plus.
Played around with some new lures, dummy flasher set up (only one tangle), speeds and depths. Nada. Zip. Nothin. Oh well.

Did an unintentional 180 degree spin at the ramp as the wind picked up just as I was docking and it all went horribly wrong. Thankfully there were no witnesses.

Saw a boat pull in behind us with two salmon and one was definitely undersized. Just as a reminder: Sidney has a minimum size of 62cm.

Fished Wain rock area this morning 7-9:30. Seen some fishy looking marks on the finder but no action for me today. A pod of whales cruised passed me this morning as they were leaving the inlet. Seen a pod of 20 or more enter the inlet on Thursday. Wonder what kind of dent they put in the fish( or hopefully seal) population if they've been the area if they've been hanging around for that long.
Was snowing fairly hard by 9 so decided to call it once the fingers couldn't take it anymore. IMG_20170227_081032.jpg IMG_20170227_081056.jpg IMG_20170227_092035.jpg

I saw a pod coming from the San Juan Islands over towards Forrest/Brethour/Gooch last week. Big flock of seagulls following them the whole way across the strait. Kinda hoping they wolf down a seal or 20 :D

Fished Moresby yesterday (8 - 12) and today (9-1). One undersize yesterday. A couple of long line releases and then finished with one keeper that was just over the 62 cm minimum. There was a commie boat working the south shore both days.

Some fish around but you have to wade through the smaller ones. Everything caught on a G-Force silver/purple spoon near the bottom.

Fished a couple hours at Wain, couple more at Fairfax today. Lost 1 and released a couple at Wain Rock, lost 1 and realeased 3 at Fairfax. Biggest was maybe 6 or 7 lbs. First time out for me in a couple weeks so I was just glad to be out there. :)

Did the hand off with advTHX at the ramp and went out for a couple hours. Couple hits and an incidental rockfish. Miner's Channel to Sidney Spit and around there. Spent the whole weekend working on my boat, so it's nice to get out and do some fishing (in the better half's father's boat ;) )

Anyone else heading to the derby out of Mill Bay this coming weekend? Sure hoping we get some nice spring weather ... and a few fish around wouldn't hurt either.

My brother and his buddy have tickets for that, if its the one on Saturday. Forecast isnt looking too great but its usually calm enough in the inlet. Should be some fish around with all the herring in the area. Looks like a 7am shotgun start, with fishing limited to the Saanich Inlet and Satellite Channel. Interesting format!

Ill be fishing the SAA in-house hali derby on Sunday, if the weather will cooperate.

My brother and his buddy have tickets for that, if its the one on Saturday. Forecast isnt looking too great but its usually calm enough in the inlet. Should be some fish around with all the herring in the area. Looks like a 7am shotgun start, with fishing limited to the Saanich Inlet and Satellite Channel. Interesting format!

Ill be fishing the SAA in-house hali derby on Sunday, if the weather will cooperate.

Ya, @advTHXance that's the one I'm referring to. Very condensed fishing area but I did it last year and it's kinda fun being in eyeshot of all of the boats.... also typically protected in there so hopefully that's the case for this coming saturday. Good luck in the hali derby on sunday!

I trolled from Moresby to Coal to Mandarte to Hamley today... Released a couple borderline keepers, lost one that popped the pin, and had a couple hits that didnt stick. Not much action for a long day on the water. Nice work on the hali carpeweekend, might have to change your name to CarpeWednesday!

Back