2017 Victoria and Oak Bay Reports

Out off the waterfront Tuesday with a buddy (8-11am). We fished in tight, 85', with gear on the bottom (99') and had constant action for the first hour and a half and then it went dead for us and we called it a happy morning with a 9lb and two 7lbers in the box and released a few 4-6lbs. There seems to be a good amount of large herring around with 7-10" herring in the bellies. The same hot herring spoon had every single hit (and the reason that colour is the 'MVP'!), always on the inside rod on the same pass/same direction. There were about 15 other boats out mostly fishing out deeper in the 120-180' range. Very healthy fish with bright red flesh.

Last edited:
had some decent luck last sunday, lost a couple to the seal.
fished in front of esquimalt and over to the flag pool. 2 keepers.
i'll be out sunday, cookin hot dogs off the back of the boat. :)

Hi folks, just an update on our diet collection program:

Thanks to Island Outfitters for agreeing to be a depot for us. We now have a small tote in the freezer in the store where you can pick up data labels, bags and sampling protocols and drop off your stomachs.

For more details check out this thread:

http://www.sportfishingbc.com/forum...ational-salmon-diet-monitoring-program.64885/

Thanks to the anglers who are participating. Heading out of Victoria today to hopefully contribute some data myself! If you have questions contact me at willduguid@hotmail.com. Good luck out there.

Really slow today off waterfront Sat. Fished 10 - 3 with one bite that turned out to be a nice rockfish off Clover. No salmon to be seen, saw no one of around 20 boats play a fish and only one 5lb back at dock which was only bite they had all day. 3 other boats at dock skunked. Tried AP Herring spoon, cop car spoon, Herring and anchovie teasers from 70 -200'

For once a report from me instead of badgering members for data. Quiet today for us. Out about 11-3, one about 5 lb on oak bay flats (two boats we talked to there had one each), moved to Clover and got one more (same size) half way to Trial. Tomics-5" and 3"

Out from 8:30 till noon Saturday between Brotchie and Clover and got nothing. Saw two other boats land small ones. Seemed like a slow day for everyone.

busy at Constance yesterday behind the Hanjin in 100 feet using bait. Everything on the bottom , not big fish ,everything between 4-8 lbs. but fun day.

beemer

Shook the cobwebs off the boat today. It feels great to get out there. Launched at cattle pt. orca family of 7 with a couple of little ones leaving oak bay and feeding briefly off the golf course. Decided to move along and went to constance. About a dozen boats out there on arrivsl at 930. Fished solo eith one rod until around 2. 7 on. 6 to the boat. Largest was anout 4 lbs. the one i lost shook the rod the most, made one run and shook the hook. Green onion flasher. AP anchovy spoon and glow hootchie were getting it done. Released all healthy salmon without netting any. Great day on the water. Only saw one sealion and no seals.

Picked up an 8 lb today and release 2 in the 4lb range.. 120 ft halfway between the anchored ship and Albert Head. White hoochie.

Good morning on Constance. Double header before I could get my second line all the way to the bottom; released two around 5#. A few more small ones released and then sealed on a nice keeper (noticed the seal following me). A few boats conjested on the south end so pulled my gear and went solo at the north east corner - another double header as soon as the lines were down and got two around 8# in the boat. A few nice cabs to on the way in. Nice morning on the water and home for lunch :)

We scratched up 2 keepers from waterfont before noon. Constance earlier had only shakers. AP Herring spoon on bottom did the damage. Interestingly the springs had tons of shrimp in them.

started at the breakwater, fished past the flagpole, picked up a keeper in 230ft of water, 200 on the rigger. Picked up another just past clover, same depth, then 1 more outside of trail island. All deep, and a no bananas flasher and outfitter skinny G did all the damage.

Report for last sunday- 11-2. started at clover point around tide change. bite was on for about an hour there, but no bites for me on AP spoons. Saw a couple of 6-8lb netted/lost along with some shaker in nearby fleet. Switched to glow hootchie with tiny chartreuse & silver spin and glow left over from coho season. followed the 140 to trial, fought and lost one around 8lb near trial as I was being pushed by the current too close to shore. trying to steer the boat and fight the fish took the pressure off momentarily and lost him. Followed the current onto the OB flats and the bite was on again on that side. Picked up a 6lb for dinner on bottom at 150ft. Perhaps those constance feeder fish moved in to shore that day.

Tubby doesn't look like he needs anymore snacks!

Back