2017 Comox Valley-Comox Harbour, Kitty Coleman, Cape Lazo, Denman & Hornby Islands

This thread needs more posters... so much great area to fish! Good thing I don't live over here... some of my favourite area!

I think that sometimes I concern the area people by posting too much info and too many details!

I agree though, would be nice to see more people post. Even in the middle of summer, it's not an overly active thread. This coming summer I'd maybe like the opportunity to connect more with some of the local fishers. I don't have the most comfortable setup but I will very often have an open seat ;)

I'm an absentee neighbour from the properties in Deep Bay but I see my neighbour up there regularly posting about his weekend haunts.... around the corner from Flora.

Hey guys been ask to if I can find someone to help us out with the following request..

Apparently there is a school of 12" coho off the south end of Hornby / Denman Island. Dr. Beamish needs to collect 30 DNA samples from these fish. Do you know if anyone is fishing that area right now and might help out......I'll add the rest of the details :
We give them a DNA kit and they target the coho we need sampled. They punch a small sample from the tail and measure the fish and then release it. We need a total of 30 samples to validate the study

Last edited:
Hey guys been ask to if I can find someone to help us out with the following request..

Apparently there is a school of 12" coho off the south end of Hornby / Denman Island. Dr. Beamish needs to collect 30 DNA samples from these fish. Do you know if anyone is fishing that area right now and might help out

Thanks for updating your post Derby, I mistakenly thought you were meaning the fish was to be retained and be sent in for testing.

Last edited:
catch release..scales samples for
Thanks for updating your post Derby, I mistakenly thought you were meaning the fish was to be retained and be sent in for testing.

If this was the case ..there is a permitted that can be given too.. its for a good cause.. :)

If a guy was coming from nanaimo to fish around denman and Hornby where would be a good place to launch? Also where would you try first? (Not looking for your secret spot, I've never had my boat in the water around here).

If a guy was coming from nanaimo to fish around denman and Hornby where would be a good place to launch? Also where would you try first? (Not looking for your secret spot, I've never had my boat in the water around here).

For the south end of Denman and Hornby, Deep Bay. For the north end, Comox Marina. There is also a launch at Union Bay, but it's kind of tide dependant.

Fished Bates/Kitty Coleman yesterday after a long rough ride out of Comox. Didn't take long to get into fish. First fish felt like a good one, but it spit the hook after several head shakes. This was followed by several undersize fish. We then had a double header, with both fish popping off the rigger clips. I couldn't reel fast enough to catch up to mine. but my partner managed to land his, a beauty 10-12 pounder. And just like that, the bite was over. Green/gold flasher with green spoon on one side, white flasher with cop car spoon on the other. Both produced equally. No sign of bait in the 4 hours we fished. By then, the seas had laid down a bit, making the run back to Comox easier. Nothing in the crab traps, but fresh fish for dinner.

Hi people! Hit the salt today. Went from Comox down to Tribune. The herring run not on full yet but plenty critters around getting ready for and some schools showing.

Enough salmon wanted to play so will have to start the BBQ. Lots of seals/lions/ whales etc around but all seemed to be more interested in herring.. thank goodness!!

Nice day on water.. not too many of them so far this winter..

Up here tomorrow...anything happening?

Out with Hellbent this morning southend Hornby I
Flat calm water
No luck with prawns but one small keeper spring dragging bottom in 200 ft of water

Back