2017 Gulf Island Reports

michael_reiber

Happy New Year everyone! Time for another great year of fishing! Does anyone have any reports for around tent island? I have heard guys have been doing well, I managed one the other day.

I tried tent a few days ago for an hour without a sniff so headed to another spot off saltspring where we picked up 2 nice 10 lbers in the next couple hrs

I've also heard tent has been producing lately but not for me. May try it again when this wind dies down.

Fished tent island today for a couple hours and couldn't find a legal fish ... Handful of undersized salmon kicking around but that's it for me. Tried a lot of depths and areas. Mostly used skinny g and coyote spoons.

Anyone have any recent reports?
I was at Porlier today for a couple of hours. Over a dozen to the boat with 2 legal. A couple were right around 62 but they went back. These winter fish fought really hard - seems harder than in past years but it is most likely just me (after a slow and unproductive 2016). Most productive spoon (by far) was:

Attachments

• IMG_2364.JPG
    IMG_2364.JPG
    459.5 KB · Views: 145
Last edited:
I'm going to haul my boat from Nanaimo to croften tomorrow to check out some new water. Can any one on here point me towards a couple of locations to check out? This will be my first time fishing around there.

I have already used navonics to check out tent island and porlier pass. I'm thinking more sheltered water as my boats only 20' and I think it's supposed to blow tomorrow.

Tent island can be good, I normally troll right out front of the wall (its just a rock face that goes along the shore line on the west side) in about 200 feet or so of water and I have had success at 160 feet on the rigger, I don't fish for winter springs much but thats just where I have had success the handful of times I've been out. And then I have lots of friends that fish porlier pass with good success as well. I hope this points you in the right direction.

I'm going to haul my boat from Nanaimo to croften tomorrow to check out some new water. Can any one on here point me towards a couple of locations to check out? This will be my first time fishing around there.

I have already used navonics to check out tent island and porlier pass. I'm thinking more sheltered water as my boats only 20' and I think it's supposed to blow tomorrow.
Will be interested to hear how you do if you fish either or both Tent and Porlier. Will likely be running across from Vancouver, both next weekend and the family day weekend water permitting, to spend the weekends at the north end of Saltspring and will drop the lines in both locations, both weekends, if we do so. Long time fan of both locations at this time of year.

Hit up tent island for about an hour this morning from 9-10 am. There was bait everywhere on the sounder but we didn't even get a sniff... Decided to head out to porlier pass and things were happening as soon as we got there. As soon as we started setting up the gear the guy fishing solo beside us was into a double header! We got the gear down and bonked a 8 and 5 pounder right away. Missed a couple hits and a absolute line peeler... At 1 pm we packed up and headed for the crab traps that we found stuffed with red rock crabs.

image.jpg

Hey guys new to the area. Have been out a couple times this month with no luck. I see portlier pass has been doing pretty well. Where do you guys go at portlier pass. Outside or inside? I fished Salamanca a couple weeks ago with no luck. Thanks for all the reports it's a great help.

@Fitzy welcome to the area. Porlier and Salamanca can both be pretty hit or miss but there are a pretty easy fishery in that you can troll for nice long tacks until you find fish. Most people fish Porlier on the outside (used to mooch on the inside but not many into that anymore) and you can start at the mouth of Porlier and troll a few miles south if you want. There is some decent structure along that tack so keep an eye on your chartplotter. Standard tacks include a 'nearshore' tack in the 100ft of water range and an 'offshore' tack in the 200+ foot range but really you can find good fish at any depth out there. This time of year most guys are fishing close to bottom with smaller (3" or so) spoons. Cover lots of water and depths until you find some fish.... they are out there! Good luck

Hey guys new to the area. Have been out a couple times this month with no luck. I see portlier pass has been doing pretty well. Where do you guys go at portlier pass. Outside or inside? I fished Salamanca a couple weeks ago with no luck. Thanks for all the reports it's a great help.

Back