2017 Bamfield and Barkley Sound Reports

Those are baby sablefish Felix...the juveniles seem to like shallow inshore areas when they are younger, and then head into deeper water when they mature. That they spawn offshore on the continental slope, deeper than 900 ft usually and their larval fish stage drifts around with the plankton and are widely distributed offshore, (we've seen them 180 km offshore before in plankton tows), and then once they settle out they migrate inshore, get bigger then back offshore . Tasty too.

thanks Brad , interesting , seen quite a few past 2 years in the pots ,
to cute ta kill lol , will stick with bellies and herring

blowin like hell yesterday Blair , limited time on the water ,
much better today , gonna be sweet for a few days with low winds and some sun , had a few sun breaks today already

huge tides , im feelin lucky ... drag some lines this afternoon tide change perhaps ,
tmrw am for sure..... found some sweet goodies today on another note....FINALLY !!!!
send ya sum pics

stay tuned

felix

looks great out there, hopefully we'll get that lucky with the derby but it'll probably be snow and fireball weather.

Had a great weekend up in Barkley....Fishing was spotty, prawning was the *****, crabbing was ok....but who cares...it was amazing....no sign of winter out there, other than the swells....

Attachments

• IMG_5163.JPG
    IMG_5163.JPG
    249.4 KB · Views: 265
  • IMG_5185.JPG
    IMG_5185.JPG
    321.3 KB · Views: 271
  • IMG_5177.JPG
    IMG_5177.JPG
    319.1 KB · Views: 250
  • IMG_5132.JPG
    IMG_5132.JPG
    318.1 KB · Views: 243
to the guys that messaged me , easier this way..
traveled in white out conditions getting there , must admit i was white knucking it down the hills ,
nothing that a few shots of crown couldn't fix on arrival ,
as predicted , cleared up beautifully for the wknd , light winds and sunburns ta finish
off our wknd ,
fishing , as last year , rediculous amount of fish at all the spots i went to , moved around alot ,
non stop action throughout the day , even in the huge tide swings , unfortunately most fish were only 3-5 lbs , filed down barbless hooks and gaff got them back on there way unharmed , for the most part id like to hope ,
best spots were west flemming , kirby , whistlebuoy , fishin in 200 feet or less , 90-125 on the riggers at 3mph
fish were dumb , hitting everything , but the irish creme, and the mini splatter needle jug head was the winner ( cudos to AJ )
first time pulling them , caught all the larger fish , fish were definitely smaller than last outting , but a few at 6-10 lbs lurking about , kept a couple for the smoker ,( best smoke ever , sweet sea salt glaze coating ) gone in one day lol....FRESH is key...

Crabbing , got a few beauties in a new area , has been brutal in my reg spots lately ..
Prawning remains CLOSED in most of the Sound including area 23/4 until April 1/2017
a pail of medium oysters for our seafood feast when i returned

upgraded to the new high torque Brutas line hauler , holy crap , amazing power ,
highly recommended , no more assist pulling , what a difference

overall a fantastic trip , got the trailer all up to speed , finished my taxes , had an amazing dinner with close friends on return ,
life is good

oh yeah , 9 of 1o fish were clipped GOD BLESS AMERICA !! again,,,,,

gd lk to the derby boys,,,,,
later
fd

23-eng.png

Attachments

• 23-eng.png
    23-eng.png
    809 KB · Views: 210
  • IMG_8914.JPG
    IMG_8914.JPG
    220.4 KB · Views: 237
  • IMG_8940.JPG
    IMG_8940.JPG
    183.6 KB · Views: 225
  • IMG_8942.JPG
    IMG_8942.JPG
    609.1 KB · Views: 256
  • IMG_8955.JPG
    IMG_8955.JPG
    316.4 KB · Views: 225
  • IMG_8959.JPG
    IMG_8959.JPG
    320.8 KB · Views: 228
  • IMG_8960.JPG
    IMG_8960.JPG
    433.5 KB · Views: 241
  • IMG_8961.JPG
    IMG_8961.JPG
    355.8 KB · Views: 262
  • IMG_8965.PNG
    IMG_8965.PNG
    1.2 MB · Views: 234
  • IMG_8979.JPG
    IMG_8979.JPG
    478.1 KB · Views: 260
Last edited:
Well I didn't see Fog Duckers post until I got home tonight, but we managed to find some fish anyways. Saturday the weather was awsome and we picked up a few decent springs. Sunday the weather was not so great, windy and rainy but we figured out where the fish were and picked up a couple more before we headed for home. Dropped the crab traps both days and never seen a dungy. We put about an hour or 2 each day back trolling over some structure looking for a Hali but didn't even get a sniff. Maybe this year I'll pick up a anchor system... Kitchen sink was our best producer.

image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg

Back