Evinrude two cylinder e-tech engines.

gungadin

Years ago I used an Evinrude 55hp two cylinder on a 16ft whaler. It had plenty of power, but was awful when I used it for trolling. It would vibrate so much it would numb your tiller hand. It wasn't miss firing, it was just because it only had two cylinders and was not smooth. I switched to a three cylinder 60 hp Yamaha Enduro and for the first 15 years it idled and trolled like a champ. Now though it is getting worn and tired ( I might get one more season out of it)
I am now shopping for a replacement, weight is a consideration, so I am leaning toward a two stroke Evinrude, but if they won't idle down and troll I will look elsewhere. I don't see any around here in Campbell River, so I was hoping someone with practicle knowledge could let me know their opinion of Evinrude's e-tech two cylinder engines.

I'm interested in this answer because I have the same boat. I think a 60 or 75 e-tec will be fine, but you may have to play with prop size to troll really slow. I have a 50 efi merc and a 15 Honda kicker for backup and to reduce hours on the Merc. I troll with both, weight is not a problem even with 2 batteries. I only fish alone or with one other person.

You could always throw out a drift sock? That's what I used to do with my 20hp yami 2 stroke.

dont the all etecs G1 and G2 idle down to 500rpm? or is it only the big ones?

sorry, according to Enation, factory set at 800rpm on the 50hp

They are still made, but only sold in countries that perhaps don't have restrictions on two strokes. Australia, some Caribbean,, African, and Asian countries.

There are also Tohatsu TLDI 2 strokes that could be worth a look if you have a dealer for parts and service nearby.

pretty sure breakers deals tohatsu, bought my 20hp from them. great motor, good price.

I have an 06--60 hp e-tec on a 16ft hourston. use it as main mostly but will troll with it on windy days or heavy tides.
works for me-lots of power & good fuel economy. the only thing I have done on this motor is change plugs every 2 yr.&
leg oil once in 10 yr.

One thing to watch out for with tohatsu's is to have a really good power supply. It needs to be connected to a battery at all times, you can't pull start it, and it won't run if you have any type of wiring issue. I would go with a Yamaha 4 Stroke. You can get an F70, it weighs 250lbs. It's the same block as the 50&60. With a 60 etec, you're only saving 20 lbs. Yamahas are bullet proof, My 50 ran up to 1500 hours before I sold it.

One thing to watch out for with tohatsu's is to have a really good power supply. It needs to be connected to a battery at all times, you can't pull start it, and it won't run if you have any type of wiring issue. I would go with a Yamaha 4 Stroke. You can get an F70, it weighs 250lbs. It's the same block as the 50&60. With a 60 etec, you're only saving 20 lbs. Yamahas are bullet proof, My 50 ran up to 1500 hours before I sold it.

That's interesting, but as there is no local dealer, I have at this point put them at the lower end of my list. They also seem a bit complicated.
I enjoy doing all my own maintenence and repairs. The enduro is owner friendly, and honestly if I could find a newer one, I would use it. Yamahas are the most popular around here, and are certainly a prime consideration. I like the four cylinder configuration, Mercury has a 4 cyl in a 50/60 hp. as well, but I dont see many around, and have no idea of their reputation. I am looking at the e-tech, but the 2cyl is a concern to me vibration wise at idle. Any four stroke would require me to remove my kicker, and rely on one engine. I have about 250lbs on the stern now, with a long leg, and would have to lower the transom height or install a well. All doable as a winter project. I can see a lot more research is in order.

If you like what you have get it rebuilt. Cheapest way to get fresh power and you know what you will get as you have 15 years of history with it. I would use US made Wiseco forged pistons if you go this route. I've rebuilt 2 stroke 200 Yamaha's up to 2 times on the same block. You can go up to 60 over on my block. I went 20 over and then 30 over on the one I'm running now so still only half way through the cylinder sleeves maximum bore out. I also keep an eye out for blown up engines that can be picked up cheap and have a good inventory of good used parts.

i have a brand new 150 etec....wicked motor for an even more wicked price from Parker Marine in Courtenay !
they swapped out a yammy 150 for the etec because A) i wanted it and B) way more pop for your $$$

Have a 60 Etec on 16feet silver streak. When engine was installed they turn min idle down to 500rpm for me. It does vibrate at 500, but never use it down that low, it's too low for ocean, plus I use my kicker most of the time. Any thing over 750-800 it is smooth. Love the engine, awesome on fuel, zero smell and it goes like hell. Would buy it again in a heart beat.

Have a 60 Etec on 16feet silver streak. When engine was installed they turn min idle down to 500rpm for me. It does vibrate at 500, but never use it down that low, it's too low for ocean, plus I use my kicker most of the time. Any thing over 750-800 it is smooth. Love the engine, awesome on fuel, zero smell and it goes like hell. Would buy it again in a heart beat.

Is your motor a tiller or remote setup?

Well the Enduro is finished, got louder and louder when running. Eventually just refused to start. Apparently the exhaust jacket burnt through, hence the loud noise. Anyone want one real cheap?:) Bought a new 60 hp Yamaha tiller. Had to modify the transom so it just have the one engine. Should arrive sometime next week. Any thoughts which pitch to run? Dealer suggested a 15, (seems a bit high to me) but will let me try as many as needed to find out which will top out at 5000-5500 RPM and still give a slow troll speed. Break in requires a load on the engine when running, so will probably will start of with the 15 or 14 and work my way down.

Back