mcallagan

I've heard that there were goldfish in Dragon but this is outrageous
angry.gif
:mad:

This was filmed Nov. 20, 2016.

I just got this YouTube Link from Guy Scharf of DFO fame. To quote Guy:

"Amazing!

I wonder why they are so close to shore at this time of year?"

If you had any doubt about the goldfish infestation in Dragon Lake, doubt no more! Check this out:

We used to get some big rainbows at Dragon Lake when I lived up that way. Pretty sad for sure.

Another lake ruined by idiots illegally introducing foreign species. How sad to see that happen to what was once a renowned trophy rainbow lake. The only way to rehabilitate it now would be to poison the entire lake and restock it.

Apparently there are still lots of large trout and it appears the are actively feeding on the goldfish. Right now the fly of choice is a bright orange woolly bugger. I agree not a great situation of course but poison may not be the option yet.....

Big Guy, I suspect it went something like this. Some kid got negligent in looking after the fish in the bowl like kids often do or the family was about to move etc. and they could not transfer said goldfish. You can always buy another one after all as they are dirt cheap.
So the parents not wanting to upset Little Miss or Junior by hitting Goldie in the head with a hammer and burying it in the back yard, with the appropriate ceremony of course, decide to have a Free Willie\Born Free moment. Yes, they will take the kid and goldfish to a lake and turn it loose where it will be free to live and frolic as god intended, happy they have done a good thing as they wave good bye. Problem solved and the parents avoid the crying.
Once a goldfish is seen in a lake, that lake becomes the Free Willie location for other parents. After all, it will be easier to sell it to Junior or little Miss if Goldie has friends in their new life. A lot of ponds and lakes in city parks are loaded with goldfish.

Last edited:
Big Guy, I suspect it went something like this. Some kid got negligent in looking after the fish in the bowl like kids often do or the family was about to move etc. and they could not transfer said goldfish. You can always buy another one after all as they are dirt cheap.
So the parents not wanting to upset Little Miss or Junior by hitting Goldie in the head with a hammer and burying it in the back yard, with the appropriate ceremony of course, decide to have a Free Willie\Born Free moment. Yes, they will take the kid and goldfish to a lake and turn it loose where it will be free to live and frolic as god intended, happy they have done a good thing as they wave good bye. Problem solved and the parents avoid the crying.
Once a goldfish is seen in a lake, that lake becomes the Free Willie location for other parents. After all, it will be easier to sell it to Junior or little Miss if Goldie has friends in their new life. A lot of ponds and lakes in city parks are loaded with goldfish.

Ya I know the scenario, but parents should be more responsible than that. If you had piranhas would you just turn them loose in our watersheds too. People just figure they're an inoffensive cute little fish, so no harm done. Very ignorant and there's no excuse for it. Perhaps pet shops should be required to have prominent signs posted detailing the fines for releasing foreign species into the wild. Inexcusable, teach your kids to respect their pets and the environment or do not own pets if you can't do so responsibly.

Pretty sure that lake is used for local drinking water. Not certain that adding poison is the way to go here.

The poison Rotenone only kills fish. It is not harmful to humans. That is why it is used to rehabilitate a lake. It is very expensive, so the provincial govt rarely uses it these days.

From Wikipedia

Notable administrations

Rotenone was implemented in 2010 to kill an invasive goldfish population present in Mann Lake, with the intention of not disrupting the lake's trout population. Rotenone successfully achieved these aims, killing nearly 200,000 goldfish, and only three trout.

I believe it's a derivative of a plant found in South America, the same one natives use when they stun/poison the fish and harvest em when they float to the surface.

I believe it's a derivative of a plant found in South America, the same one natives use when they stun/poison the fish and harvest em when they float to the surface.

Exactly. No permanent harm to the water supply, or people when Rotenone is used to eradicate Invasive species.

Sounds like Elk lake of the island :D
We have carp, cat fish, perch and bull fogs and who knows what other species...

If there were that many in just one spot the population must be huge. The video has now been removed by the user. Is it possible the guys in the video were breaking regulations by fishing with a net for these fish (even though they are invasive) or that they were in some trouble with the city for leaving a hundreds of fish to rot on the ground in what looked like a park area? Someone would have had to clean them up. The one guy can be heard saying what will we do with them and the other guy says "nothing, the birds will eat them" which is unlikely.

Send them over to me. Fish in my pond have a life expectancy of about a week. We also support a large community of well fed raccoons. Wonder if the two are connected? Where's David Suzuki when you need him!

I saw another video on you tube of those guys afterwards. They bagged all the fish in garbage bags and had them all loaded in a pickup. I think they said they were taking them to the dump.

I would imagine the reason the video was removed is because fishing with a dip net is illegal unless your a person with native status. I'm pretty sure you'd need a permit to do what they were doing, although I doubt they'd pursue charges against them. Unfortunately, monkey see monkey do. Next thing people see that on YouTube and figure they'll just dip net there dinner from their local river. So, it isn't exactly something you want to encourage, even though they have the best of intentions. If your going to do that sort of thing best not to be posting it on the Internet unless it has been approved by the MOE.

Back