Cowichan River

November 15 is the word for terminal fishery unless it changed. There is fly fishing above only above Skutz. Also there were 8700 Chinooks past fence before storm, and then was damage to fence. I wouldn't doubt they got 10k in the end.

The lower river is closed until November 15, unless the province has an in season regulation change. Isn't that later than usual? If DFO gives the ok on coho the province usually opens the river a few days after so it can be legally fished.

Heard perhaps it could be open shortly .....was great to hear how many springs got back into the river this year :)

My understanding is that the water level related ban on fishing the river has already been lifted. I always thought the closure that normally lifts Nov 1st is salmon related to avoid incidental "encounters" with chinook. I'll try and find the fisheries notice that lifted the closures on all South Island streams and post it if I find it.

CP

DFO opened it early NOV last year I think like the 8th they had fishery notices posted. Cant imagine it will be much different this year we have had some good water and looks like its going to keep up.

That is great news,SV.Still nothing like it was back in the 70's but the stocks seem to be slowly on the rise over the last 5-6 years.To think that at one point there was less than 1000 springs returning and now nearly 10,000 is a great acomplishment!

Subject: FN1195-RECREATIONAL - Salmon - Region 1 - Cowichan River - Coho and Chum Retention Opportunity

Strong chinook and chum returns to the Cowichan River, combined with high water
levels and improving coho observations are being seen in the Cowichan River.

Effective November 1 until December 31, 2016 the daily limit of coho is one (1)
per day (hatchery or wild) and the daily limit of chum is two (2) per day in
the lower portion of the Cowichan River downstream from Mile 66 Trestle Bridge
to the Highway No. 1 Bridge (Silver Bridge).

Variation Order No. 2016-491

Notes:

Did you witness suspicious fishing activity or a violation? If so, please call
the Fisheries and Ocean Canada 24-hour toll free Observe, Record, Report line
at (800) 465-4336 or the British Columbia’s toll-free RAPP line (Report All
Poachers and Polluters) at 1-877-952-RAPP (7277).

For the 24 hour recorded opening and closure line, call toll free at
1-(866)431-FISH (3474).

FOR MORE INFORMATION:

Contact the nearest Fisheries and Oceans Canada office or visit our website at
http://www.pac.dfo-mpo.gc.ca.

Fisheries and Oceans Canada Operations Center - FN1195
Sent October 28, 2016 at 16:38
Visit us on the Web at http://www.pac.dfo-mpo.gc.ca

If you would like to unsubscribe, please submit your request at: http://www-ops2.pac.dfo-mpo.gc.ca/fns-sap/index-eng.cfm?pg=manage_subscription

If you have any questions, please contact us via e-mail to: OpsCentre@dfo-mpo.gc.ca

Now just for the Province to open it so we can legally fish the lower Cowichan, which as of this moment no in season reg. change posted. Otherwise your poaching.

Been fishing this river for the past 40 years.Have run into the conservation officers countless times and never once have I been accused of poaching after Fisheries and Oceans have opened it up.I'll be out there as per usual on opening day
(Nov.1) and so will all my friends who have also been doing the same thing all their lives.The chums are so thick in spots
you could literally walk on them.Gonna be a stellar year me thinks!

Been fishing this river for the past 40 years.Have run into the conservation officers countless times and never once have I been accused of poaching after Fisheries and Oceans have opened it up.I'll be out there as per usual on opening day
(Nov.1) and so will all my friends who have also been doing the same thing all their lives.The chums are so thick in spots
you could literally walk on them.Gonna be a stellar year me thinks!

I guess if you actually read the regulations you would see opening day this year is Nov. 15. That is the law as per this moment. A person breaking a fish and wildlife regulation is a poacher in anybodies books.

Back