2016 Sooke Reports

Had a couple ladies out today from Arizona and got them into a 23 pound red Chinook and another mature jack that was about 5 pounds. Got 2 hatch coho and released some wilds too. The spring was still in good shape.

Had a couple ladies out today from Arizona and got them into a 23 pound red Chinook and another mature jack that was about 5 pounds. Got 2 hatch coho and released some wilds too. The spring was still in good shape.
Where were you, and what were you using?

Typical flasher and anchovy setup and fishing up to the west where I go to get away from the crowds :)

Went out yesterday from 4-7 at the entrance to Betcher Bay at around 250 feet, came back with no fish.

Caught numerous shakers at 50 feetish, and several undersized. Also caught a 45cm fish that went back as it was too small and then I put back a 50cm 3lbish spring (at 105 feet) because I got confused about the regs and thought they had to be over 65cm. ugh.

Lots of action - been nice if they were larger! Lost a biggish fish hooked at 100 foot.

Not a sniff of any coho. All on green and white spoons.

Went to the west again yesterday morning looking for a spring before I planned to switch to Coho after the current began to flood. We had 2 springs on and lost them both. Both within 20 minutes of each other before the change. Then picked up the gear and ran back to Otter and immediately started hitting some nice Coho. We managed 12 and 6 pound fish we could keep and released or lost another 8 or so fish including a triple. 45-70 feet down and out in 350 ft seemed to be where they were in the best numbers

Just a question for all the local fisherman out in the Sooke area. As we all know the chinook fishery this year was tough west coast wide but I was just wondering how you guys feel the coho fishery is doing compared to this time last year and years past? Hopefully I might be able to answer this question is years to come as we are looking for land in the area and planning to build in the near future :)

Fished Otter Point from 0800-1200, after 2 hours of nothing while looking for Chinook in under 100ft we moved out to to 4-500ft looking for Coho, and started catching Chinooks, 25-35ft on the riggers. Best fishing day of the year.

I sure hope these little footballs stay around for awhile... headed out for last trip of the year Oct 1,2,3..... assuming the wilds open up and we can stock up for winter... hang in there Coho!

Fished Otter Point from 0800-1200, after 2 hours of nothing while looking for Chinook in under 100ft we moved out to to 4-500ft looking for Coho, and started catching Chinooks, 25-35ft on the riggers. Best fishing day of the year.

How big were your springs?

Fished for coho, started at Beechey Head, the tide moved us along all the way to the Harbour Mouth, 8:45-11:15, when we reached 540 depth and 40-47 ft on the rigger, the fun started to happen. Pink hootchie was the ticket. Kept two hatchery, 8 & 9 lb beauties, released two unclipped 8 & 10 lbs and the third unclipped spat the hook as we were trying to identify it. It looked like about 12 lbs. sigh, we won't be out again until Oct 1st, hard to send back those fish. Hope they grow a bit in two weeks! Great hatchery to unclipped ratio, I thought. Flat calm, warm, perfect fishing day!!!! Xena

Good report xena. We were out yesterday coho fishing. Off the head, down to the harbour mouth and back. Ironically, we only hooked up with 3-4 pound Chinook, almost all were hatchery. All released......
Just couldn't find the coho....

Made a few passes at the harbour mouth yesterday in search of springs. Tons of bait but no springs to be had.

Moved out for coho around 9:30. Pretty slow go to start. Sounded real slow on the chatter box also.
Bite turned on after the tide switched. It was steady from noon till we left at 2:00.
Kept one hatch 9 lb. Released about 6 more 8-14lb ish.
My boy (just about 7 years old) caught the biggest and did a great job on the rod.

Flat calm day. Will be nice when we get some morning floods and we can keep a wild one.

Tips

fished deep off secretary 300-450 @ 30 - 70ft

from noon until 3pm on the 19th ... non stop coho action.

11 fish == 3 lost after hookset, and 3 lost at boat. managed to get 5 in the boat, of which only 1 was a hatchery keeper.

still a great day and the kids had a blast. all on anchovies. spoon had no action.

fished deep off secretary 300-450 @ 30 - 70ft

from noon until 3pm on the 19th ... non stop coho action.

11 fish == 3 lost after hookset, and 3 lost at boat. managed to get 5 in the boat, of which only 1 was a hatchery keeper.

still a great day and the kids had a blast. all on anchovies. spoon had no action.

Hey LB, how was the trolling speed? Some have been finding that slower than usual has been a key.

Fished a few times the last couple days, targeting coho. Hard to say what is working as speeds and gear have been varied, mostly just seems to be random encounters with fish as long as the gear is shallower than 70 feet. Regular hoochies, squirts, hoochies with jugheads, coho killers, small spoons, laser hoochies, etc..all seemed to work when trolled at appropriate speeds. Plugs and swim baits at the surface didn't produce. Deeper gear tags small chinook (30cm). I was out as far as the shipping lanes and in tight to shore but no large schools as far as I could tell.

The few coho that did have feed in the gut seemed to have herring of various sizes.

been going out regularly the last couple of weeks once or twice - nothing but (nice) wilds. all released.

out this morning - 4 wilds plus a few other missed/lost.

as others have said, no surface rod action, fish are scattered around and up from 70 feet. no real gear preference, just fast.

All action seemed to drop off around 9:30-10 AM.

Back