2016 Sooke Reports

Went out of Sooke on sunday with my dad and brother in law. Lots of bites and few that didn't stick but we ended up with 3 great fish.
My dad pulled in a 15lb spring off secretary and my bother in law got a 8lb hatch coho at the trap and I picked up a 10lb hatch coho right off beechy head to end the day.
All around 50ft on the rigger and if it wasn't green and white it didn't get a bite!

Nice work! Anyone have an idea if wild Coho will be open to keep at the end of month or beginning of October? Last year was first week of October I believe. Tight lines!

Last edited:
Hey Guys....

Anyone seeing many shaker Chinook (<12 inches) in Sooke yet. In the last couple of years the reports have indicated a real pulse of shakers showing up while folks are fishing Coho in the fall. The archived threads are gone but I believe this was generally mid-October. Anyone have any input on this, as in does it happen and when does it happen? My interest is research based. Thanks so much

We been having them around since july, 1 here and there sometimes none. Fish in general have been smaller with a lot of 3 year old mature jacks about 10 lbs mixed in fat lil torpedo's.
good luck wolf

yes .sooke area20-3-20-7 ..........1 wild and 3 marked for a tottle of 4 as of oct.1 2016.....
Thanks for the Intel. I'll be checking regs (no change listed yet) and hopefully see you out there!

Last edited:
Springs were a little slow today with only a small one. Coho were non stop, double and triple headers all morning with nice size all around and a few hatchery ones in the mix. Seemed to be everywhere in 200 plus feet of water.. lots of Humpbacks putting on a show too

Hope the springs come out of hiding tomorrow. The wife & I are going to go try it out by you. What's everyone running, green?
Am I dreaming to hope there will be 40' parking at the municipal ramp at about 8-8:30am?

They should be here for a while. Doesn't peak till after the first week of Oct. in my experience.

Looking forward to taking out some kids and newbies.

Played around secretary today no springs but what a fun day with coho played at least a dozen wild and some of them close to 12 lbs ended up with 3 hatchery still of a good size just not quite as big as the wild loads of fun 40 to 60 on down rigger anchovy and green white coyotes

Great fun today with lots of Coho, but only 1 little hatchery. Then during what was going to be one of our last passes, we hooked one that was determined to take all my backing. The first run was huge, but it was the endless others that was tough to get ahead of. Got her close-ish to the boat several times, but she wasn't having it. Eventually though, we got all the moons aligned, and the girl in the boat. However, between pulling all the gear, avoiding other boats, and then netting, my wife tells me that she's not sure our marriage can handle many more fish like that ;) . But I know it can..........cause she likes having fish in the freezer.

Thanks for all the direction & help everyone, it made for great fun.

Will be out on Sunday. Hope the fish are still there. Lots of fun, going to taking out some kids on Sunday just want the winds to be down and to see their faces when they get a fish. Its the best time of the year....just going out and have Fun !!!!!
I think they want to see whales also.....

Went out 8-12 in 450ft of water. 8 wild Coho, 1 hatch and 12 other hits. Some of the wild released were dead because they were gill hooked. If DFO let you keep any two Coho the fish would be better off. Instead, you pull in 10+ fish to get your two hatch and kill a bunch in the process. :mad:

Stupid rule bottom line. Those coho are most likely hatchery fish that didn't get clipped. Every year its the same thing. Releasing dead fish for crab bait. Instead of letting us take 2 and go home. Just my 2 cents.

Stupid rule bottom line. Those coho are most likely hatchery fish that didn't get clipped. Every year its the same thing. Releasing dead fish for crab bait. Instead of letting us take 2 and go home. Just my 2 cents.
A....men!!! very frustating......waste of fish!!!

Back