Alberni salmon festival

Kildonan

I have read two reports on Facebook that a 53 pounder has been weighed in. Fact or fiction? I've been unable to substantiate the rumour. Anybody seen this 53 pounder with their own eyes? Lol

That would be fantastic if it's actually true. It's been many years since a fish in the 50's won the derby. It would be nice to think there's still a few of those beasts returning to Port Alberni.

Yes, just saw a photo. 53.2 pounds caught at Brady's Beach.
I think it's been a good spell since a 50+ pounder has been weighed in.

Omg that's unreal, I never thought I'd see another 50 or 60 pounder win the derby. That will be a huge shot in the arm for the future derby tourism. It's probably been close to 20 years since a 50 was weighed in. I'm really glad the derby has produced a king size fish again. I was in PA a couple days back and the harbour was pretty deserted and I felt sorry for the derby organizers. That is super good news.

Omg that's unreal, I never thought I'd see another 50 or 60 pounder win the derby. That will be a huge shot in the arm for the future derby tourism. It's probably been close to 20 years since a 50 was weighed in. I'm really glad the derby has produced a king size fish again. I was in PA a couple days back and the harbour was pretty deserted and I felt sorry for the derby organizers. That is super good news.
It was 21 years ago my 10 year old son hooked up a 52 lber just across from China Creek, biggest I've ever had on my boat. I remember I didn't think it was that big, thought it might be in the high 30's, until we scaled it, on two different scales. Beautiful fish, clean and very silver. If I recall the meat wasn't a deep red colour though. I believe it was August. Used to nail 25 lb+ all the time over there, my personal best is 38.9 lbs, good for 13th in the derby. Would have been 3rd largest the first day but the guy I was fishing with didn't think it was big enough to take all the way to Clutesi, so we weighed in at Bamfield, his boat so. Caught at Swale rock.

I fished the inlet yesterday 8 hrs not a bite from Sprint Narrows to town fishing was not good at all and most others we talked too did equally poorly

Fished solo in Bamfeild from Bradys beach to Nanat Island on Saturday nothing all day until 4:00 pm when the big one hit in the bay just before Nanat Island at 57 ft. The fish didn't take off right away and it came to the surface and then the fish went nuts running in the 3 ft chop and me holding on for 15 mins. When it got close to the boat and I saw how big it was (40 to 50 lbs. ) I started shaking and panicing,and with my net still tuck away, I managed to get it out and in all of the excitement I forgot to move the downriggers out of the way. When the fish got close I tried to net it and I missed and the fish took off, I got it back to the boat again and missed it again. The 3rd time got it boat and reached with net and got his head in and as I was reaching the boat was rocking in the chop I slipped and hit the downrigger botton and it came up and pined off the line and cut off the cannon ball it fell off and just then big fish turn it"s head and took off and the leader broke. It was over and the fish was gone. It was dishearting to say the leased and I yell and yell. Fished Sunday same place same depts at 11:30 got a double header one fish came right out the water so I grab that rod and the other rod was peeling line and in a nut shell I lost them both and in the end I land one 14 lb coho. I didn't fish Monday morning I was burnt out and too tired. What a weekend and I"ll remember it for long time to come.

My biggest spring from the Bamfield waters came from Brady's Beach, 45 pounds. It was still very dark, so dark I couldn't tell if my bait was rolling properly when I put the line down. I remember putting it down to 30 ft in about 45 feet of water. I was using Wayne Laughren's original releasing dodger which was never put on the market for sale. The fish hit before getting the next rod down. The fish never resisted at all and came straight to the boat just like a sockeye will often do. This had a lot to do with the fact there was no flasher on the line to spook it and the darkness played a roll to I believe. I had a ball bearing swivel that joined the main to the 5 foot leader and a red Scotty release clip pin was on the main line side of the ball bearing swivel. The red pin and swivel came up and My guest wound it to the rod tip. I could not see the fish as it was still too dark, but I knew it was only a foot or less under the surface as we had 4feet of the 5 foot leader out of the water. I decided to plunge down and take the fish before it realized it was hooked. All hell broke loose when I went to lift the net out of the water. It was all I could do not to loose the net from my grasp. I told my guest to drop the rod and help me. When the fish came over the side and hit the deck I saw how big it was for the first time. It was going absolutely crazy, I had to jump on it and pin it down. Probably the only fish I fought in the boat instead of in the water!! Lol. The only bite we had that morning too. It was the day before the NHL derby that used to take place.

Brady's Beach has produced some big fish over the years. The last time I fished the Pt. Alberni Derby - in 2006, the winner came from Brady's. It was over 44#'s, caught by a guy I know from Nanaimo that was a guide in Barkley Sound many years ago.
Cant wait to get up there again - next week!
Stosh

Darren Knight by chance?

Back