2016 Sooke Reports

Slightly off topic but does anyone know the surface water temp around sooke and how much it fluctuates throughout the day? I'm fishing further 'downstream' JDF where its consistently 50-52 deg throughout the day.

Lately it has been around 55 degrees F. That is about 20 inches down from the surface as the temp. sensor is on the bottom of my pod. It will very a few degrees depending on things like:

sunny and calm equals about 54 to 57 although one day it got up to 61. Sometimes one side of a tide line will be a degree or so warmer than the other and an ebb will usually be a little warmer than a flood. Bumpy water is usually a couple of degrees cooler, having deeper water mixed into it.

Out today early from pedder and fished whirl bay for a while with no luck so moved onto beechy. Picked up 2 dinner sized springs, one hatch one wild.
Hatch was just a hair under 10lbs.

Both at 55ft and on bloody nose.

Forgot to add that it was real windy out there today, I couldn't actually dock in my space at pedder.
Want to send a shout out to the guys manning the fuel dock who helped me get situated, great help and great service.

Out today fished the head for one 13 lbs spring, one 8.8 lbs hatchery coho and released one wild coho. Have to say fishing was ok but weather did make it tough.

Early morning was a waste then when the flood turned on, fish moved in and we got a 17, 15# springs and a 6 hatch ho in short order. Lost another good fish after few seconds and then let an under 10# spring go. Beechy Head, 40-50', herring and AP herring did the damage. Very sporty conditions today.

Fished Cheanuh Derby both days this weekend. Saturday was extremely blowy, so we couldnt get to any better spots like otter or the sheringham. Fished Peddar bay instead from 5am-2pm. One small spring about 7bs, and missed another nice strike. Was back out Sunday out west. 12# spring, 8# hatchery coho and 5# hatchery coho. Lost A good one that wrapped downrigger line and missed at least 4 other nice strikes. Fun derby and congrats to the winner.

Fished the Trap to the Bedfords today. Had one hit at the Head early and then absolutely nothing until a 9# wild Coho around 1pm at the Bedfords. Didn't see much action all day.

Secretary/Possession was similar. Lots of coho. Couldn't find any Chinook but got a clipped 7&8 coho on anchovy. Lots of bait.

Fishing is still decent for springs. Landed 5 today up to 19 pounds. Had a couple coho slip off at the boat as well. Fished Sheringham, Muir and Otter.

Went out to the tide lines off Beechy from 6:30-8. Caught a wild 10+ and had two other sizable hits that amounted to nothing.
Lures of choice were AP anchovy spoon and Chartreuse Coho killer

Nice fish, SS!! I haven't caught a ling big enough to keep!! What did catch the coho on? and what depth? Thanks, Xena

Nice fish, SS!! I haven't caught a ling big enough to keep!! What did catch the coho on? and what depth? Thanks, Xena
Hey Xena

I got both Coho at 100' with chrome cop car teaser head and gold betsy flasher about 1/4 mile south of Beachy. I got a tip on where the Ling's like to hang out from a buddy, I will share with you the next time we go Coho clipping with Gord.

Thanks for the info, very helpful!
They didn't clip coho this year, the weather got too hot and the fry grew too fast, too bad. It is really an amazing place, a dedicated, hard working core of volunteers. Something to do with one's kids (of a certain age) or like we did, a group of friends......... Great job, Jack Brooks Hatchery!! I'm sure the other hatchery have the same dedicated crew, hats off to all of you. Xena

Anyone fish this week?
T2

we were out Wed. and got 4 teenage springs between the Head and the Trap
two at 120' and two at 60'...go figure....and 2 where whites..one at each depth
Anchovies in bloody nose and blue and silver heads green and red hot spots.
good bite early and then just after the tide changed to the flood.
Released two unclipped Coho around 7 or 8 pounds.

Today my buddy and I gone from 7 to 11 am , Head to O'Brain was really hot. We got 4 clipped ho up to 10.15 lbs and 17.34 lbs spring.

Two times for double headers and one time triple headers.

We released 17 wild hoes, 5 x lost and 4 x hit and miss.

We used the bait and the g force spoon "flamin hans" are hottest tickets. Super beasty , STS and Bon Choey flashers are tickets.

54' -65' on 100 -200' water.

Back