2016 Ucluelet Fishing Reports

All last week was the pits out on the water. Went to Starfish and it was rough all week. Wife and daughter just stumbled all over the place. Amazing they even caught fish. Had to run the wheel since they didn't want to even try with the slop. Caught fish at both Starfish and Southwest Corner. Some some reason the Climate Change is effecting the run. The Big run hasn't started and seems we caught mostly resident fish. Biggest was in the low twenties. Most averaged around 15lb. For us our glow white hoochie worked better then the spoons recommended by others. I know need to have pics so here's ours

Attachments

• 2016 Amy's 20  Starfish Bank.jpg
    2016 Amy's 20 Starfish Bank.jpg
    226.5 KB · Views: 110
  • 2016 Ucluelet BC.jpg
    2016 Ucluelet BC.jpg
    228 KB · Views: 109
Can some one please tell me where starfish bank is? Thanks in advance,trying to load up the GPS with some good spots in the sound

We fished just above Starfish itself on the next shelf. Just about where it connects. Funny, we caught our biggest one on SouthBank though because the water was too rough at Starfish for the girls. Just west of the turtles head between the two humps. Look for bait.

moved my 18ft boat out there yesterday, and managed a few hours out towards starfish. Got a 20, and 13 lb spring, threw back 2 small ones, and a 18 lb hali.. Saw some of the biggest bait balls on my screen in years, so we circled them or tried to stay on them , with several other boats, about 3 miles east of starfish. Heard several on the radio discussing the fish measurement formula, so one of them got at 30lb er, heard others saying they also got decent fish. Creel lady at fuel dock, said fish coming in from father out areas and 100ft . She said the weather had kept a lot of boats in on the weekend. and there are massive amounts of bait around in certain area. UKEE boat basin full. Saw several different guys cleaning springs and hali at cleaning station at 7pm. Boat beside me, hauled a 44lb hali , ( I used my scale) up the dock in wheelbarrow. Back out there this weekend. If yur driving between 7am and 7pm, there is road construction in the narrow section by Kennedy lake. It took an extra hr to get thru the alternating single lane traffic. Lanes being worked on are the inbound ones. and 6 different work spots with more to come.

Thanks for the report seadog19. I like reports that say the docks are busy. It means the guides are doing well. Quite a few great guides don't post on this forum anymore or never have. It's important information to take in. Appreciate the post :cool:.

heading back out there for the weekend, I will probably see sculpin zoom by me a few times... for those interested, marine gas at culetsi petrocan , in Port Alberni 113.

fuel at UKEE 1.19

heading back out there for the weekend, I will probably see sculpin zoom by me a few times... for those interested, marine gas at culetsi petrocan , in Port Alberni 113.

fuel at UKEE 1.19

Thanks for the tip on that, we'll be out this Saturday til the following Sunday, and probably pretty thirsty!

fb

Thanks for the tip on that, we'll be out this Saturday til the following Sunday, and probably pretty thirsty!

fb
Fishing Starfish SW corner and north last two days. Small 3-3.5 spoons only thing working. Bait is very small and all fish have been full of them. A few 20-25 lb but most 12-15. A lot of little legal and sub legal. All at 90-120. Wind was tough today. Lighthouse producing evening and am. We will be there in the am tomorrow. Heading back to La Connor on Saturday am. Might hit Swiftsure if timing is right. Very disappointing that we can't fish for Hali. Have to buy your license at a dealer here in Canada WHICH there isn't one in Bam or Ukee. So lame.

Attachments

• image (2).jpg
    image (2).jpg
    135.8 KB · Views: 47
Fishing Starfish SW corner and north last two days. Small 3-3.5 spoons only thing working. Bait is very small and all fish have been full of them. A few 20-25 lb but most 12-15. A lot of little legal and sub legal. All at 90-120. Wind was tough today. Lighthouse producing evening and am. We will be there in the am tomorrow. Heading back to La Connor on Saturday am. Might hit Swiftsure if timing is right. Very disappointing that we can't fish for Hali. Have to buy your license at a dealer here in Canada WHICH there isn't one in Bam or Ukee. So lame.

Sorry that the gale force winds disappointed you. Next time if you email our prime minister PRIOR to your trip and ask him if he can lay off the wind blowing for your trip.

I believe he was referring to the license requirements for non-resident anglers - i.e. that to retain halibut in areas 121, 23 and 123 non-residents can't use an on-line purchased license, they must buy it from a vendor.

PHW, Eagle Marine, Island West and Long Beach Charters, in Ukee, and Tyee Resort, Bamfield Lodge, Breaker's Marine, McKay Bay Lodge and the Seabeam are all vendors listed by DFO … at least a couple of those must still be current?

Cheers!

Ukee

I believe he was referring to the license requirements for non-resident anglers - i.e. that to retain halibut in areas 121, 23 and 123 non-residents can't use an on-line purchased license, they must buy it from a vendor.

PHW, Eagle Marine, Island West and Long Beach Charters, in Ukee, and Tyee Resort, Bamfield Lodge, Breaker's Marine, McKay Bay Lodge and the Seabeam are all vendors listed by DFO … at least a couple of those must still be current?

Cheers!

Ukee
Seems as all the Ukee charter customers are driving up to get them at Method Marine in Tofino, so not sure there is a vendor there any more

Thanks Fishtofino. Surprised neither Pioneer Boat Works or Cap'n Hooks issue them, guess the gov't doesn't make it worth anyone's while. Not sure why the license issue matters, think it'd be simpler to restrict harvest if not departing/returning to a Canadian port like they do for commercial harvest.

Cheers!

Ukee

Apparently there are a few applications to become a vendor in Ucluelet but it looks like a next year thing. I recommend folks to get them at Gone Fishin or Canadian Tire on the way through Port Alberni as you have to drive right past these locations.

Fishing wise decent sized fish coming in offshore apperently runs west of us have thinned out so they should be moving our way any day now. Will be interesting to see what the next run of fish are like after the rains today and the next couple of days if the weather man is correct but he is today so far :)

Recent catch pics-------> http://www.uclueletcharters.com/west-coast-fishing-reports

Just back from a week in Ukee, timed it just right. Slow the first two days only one spring each day, even big bank on the rats nose was super slow. Picked up Tuesaday a little and Wednesday was full limits on my boat for springs and hali for 4. Went home a day early because weather looked to start turning again friday. Great trip for us full limits of springs and hali even had a half day to jig some bottom fish. Springs on small white glow spoons and white anchovie tipped hoochies. Tried anchovie and other colors but did not produce. We did the best out on Hyson at 90 feet on the riggers. Final trip for hali we needed 2 unders and ended up releasing 5 overs before we picked up our small ones, those all came on large hearing bouncing the bottom.
I am heading for Nootka for a first ever trip on the 15th for a week. Got a group of youngsters 10, 12, and 15 with me staying at Moocha hope the inside turns on for the kids by then.

Apparently there are a few applications to become a vendor in Ucluelet but it looks like a next year thing. I recommend folks to get them at Gone Fishin or Canadian Tire on the way through Port Alberni as you have to drive right past these locations.

Fishing wise decent sized fish coming in offshore apperently runs west of us have thinned out so they should be moving our way any day now. Will be interesting to see what the next run of fish are like after the rains today and the next couple of days if the weather man is correct but he is today so far :)

Recent catch pics-------> http://www.uclueletcharters.com/west-coast-fishing-reports
They haven't thinned out that much ;)

Seriously, i'm glad it's picked up for the Ukee crowd

Cheers!

Ukee
Thanks for the help. Yes I was referring to license and none of those places are a vendor. We bought prior so we could fish Sooke on way up--didn't happen as water was holding us up. I might just by a seasonal in Van while I am up in Whistler for 2017. Wind Friday was bad but we got some nice bottom fish outside of broken group. Fished Sheringham Point north of Sooke on way back. That was fun. All glass water on trip back. Hit 40 a few times. Fish still not showing up in WA. If any of you guys make it down here pm me and I'll set you up. Admin thanks for fixing photo of my son. Tight lines all. Peter

Back