Central Coast

Charter Tofino

Any reports for the Caamano Sound to Calvert Island Area? Tough to get a finger on the pulse in this region. Headed out this weekend for the week. Anyone heading up at the same time feel free to pm and we can swap Intel.

Last edited:
I'm headed up on the 31st Kelly, done the trip many times. You can cruise with us and rigger some fish!

Ha!

Have a good trip pal, hoping the salmon gods are on your side

Nope not my little tinny, headed up on another members Northwest. Will be sleeping on the boat.

Sounds slow from the few reports I've scratched up but you don't know until you go. Fingers crossed. Will report when back.

Nope not my little tinny, headed up on another members Northwest. Will be sleeping on the boat.

Sounds slow from the few reports I've scratched up but you don't know until you go. Fingers crossed. Will report when back.

More satisfaction in making the reports than following them like a sheepoele

Can't help you with a fishing report but if you're thinking about crossing today it wasn't bad out there last night/this morning. Tomorrow will likely be better but today would be just fine. The southern section of Mcinnis to Pine was very nice.

I got a email from Mike at Shearwater and he said the fishing has been improving. Coho have really moved in and some larger chinooks are showing up

Just leaving port hardy for shearwater now. Will be up for a week. I will post report if I can get some WiFi up there

Edit

First time up there any typical lure suggestions to start with? Also halibut spots if anyone is willing to share?

Last edited:
Further up by Cultus? Any fish around Hakai? Headed up next Wednesday for a week.

The guys out of the shearwater area were into a wave of bigger ones. So by the time you get up there, Hakai area you'd think would have some showing up.

Just got back from shearwater.

Fished 4 days up there July 24-27. Was a slow start trying to find the fish and learn the area. We fished Cheney point - mostly pinks and coho there. the other boat in our group got a 35 lber though.

The next day we headed to cultus as we heard there were lunker's about. Got one 15lbs - no lunker's. Then headed to purple bluffs and hooked a nice slab - prob high 20s, but lost it at the side of the boat.

Next day back at Cheney and we hooked up and landed a 30lber. Also some 10-12lb coho. Went off from Cheney to some bank and tried for halibut. Not !much action but we did !manage a 15lber.

Last day, we headed to McInnes island. Finally hit our stride / found decent amounts of fish. Hooked 8 or so decent springs and landed 6 from 18-25 lbs.

Basically caught all springs on cut plugs fished on the downright with a dummy flasher off the ball.

Overall was a great trip , and the weather cooperated which always helps even if the fish don't. Good luck to those headed up soon

Just got back from shearwater.

Fished 4 days up there July 24-27. Was a slow start trying to find the fish and learn the area. We fished Cheney point - mostly pinks and coho there. the other boat in our group got a 35 lber though.

The next day we headed to cultus as we heard there were lunker's about. Got one 15lbs - no lunker's. Then headed to purple bluffs and hooked a nice slab - prob high 20s, but lost it at the side of the boat.

Next day back at Cheney and we hooked up and landed a 30lber. Also some 10-12lb coho. Went off from Cheney to some bank and tried for halibut. Not !much action but we did !manage a 15lber.

Last day, we headed to McInnes island. Finally hit our stride / found decent amounts of fish. Hooked 8 or so decent springs and landed 6 from 18-25 lbs.

Basically caught all springs on cut plugs fished on the downright with a dummy flasher off the ball.

Overall was a great trip , and the weather cooperated which always helps even if the fish don't. Good luck to those headed up soon

Sounds like you were able to pull out some nice springs the last day. Was it busy with boats at Cultus?

Sounds like you were able to pull out some nice springs the last day. Was it busy with boats at Cultus?

The day we fished cultus there was only a few boats there. I was told the day before people had landed a 46, 38, 36. But it seemed we could not find these fish. Probably could have worked it more, but being our first trip out to shearwater, we were eager to keep trying different spots to find the fish

It seems some people were having great days and some not so much up there. I think the fish are definitely around , just need to find them. Long trip to mcinnes island on our last day, but that was definitely our best spot, and likely the first spot fish coming down the coast would go by I think.

Had a great trip but fishing was spotty. As we kind of figured going into it, we were early. The fishing died when we showed up in Milbanke. Killer whales were hanging out in the tack the whole time. Two long days of grinding for the odd spring to 20 and lots of chum/pink/coho. Saw few fish landed in the masses of boats. We finally found a pocket of fish on day 3 and ended up getting into them with the biggest two at 35/40. The last morning we lost a few good ones and that was it. Gorgeous area, will definitely be back.

Fished Hakai lots of nice size coho. Then to spider is. Zero. Then to cultus no springs. Then into shearwater picked up some smaller coho. Then over to Milbanke few decent fish around but not many. Got into 8-10# coho and chum. The two lodges in
Milbanke telling us very slow around but last year there was 63# caught. Guess that's supposed to make a guy keep tryin.
Good luck with your trip....

Back