OFFICIAL 2016 Vancouver-Howe Sound-Sechelt Reports Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
IMG_5709.jpg IMG_6034.jpg

I do believe the anchovies have started spawning locally. The first picture was taken at Jericho last year on July 10th. You could scoop them up with your hand as the juvenile salmon were herding them from underneath like a pack of wolves. The second picture was taken August 25th. Kids snagged one with a herring jig. Not sure if they are from the same brood but I suspect they are.

Have Wed,Thurs off gonna try the hump if its calm,question for you prawners what depth do you guys like I have been trying 250-300 feet is this deep enough or to deep for this time of year?

Any reports from today? Thinking of heading out tomorrow.
Seems to be a toss up between HITW, hump or bell Bouy.

popped out to HITW for an hour late this aft. and picked up a legal Spring on a white green and orange spoon @ 100'. Had 2 undersize yesterday on a blue spoon. Nothing on my chovies. 3 other boats out there and saw 2 others landed.

Last edited:
Was out with Watermark charters today and had an amazing day on the water. The wife, boy and myself met Mark just past 7am at his marina and with in 10 minutes we were dropping prawn traps to start the day off. We decided to try hole in the wall as it was nasty off the south end. I sat back for once and just enjoyed the view. Mark worked to set up gear on his 4 riggers. We ran a variety of gear from 116 in depth up to 80 something. Everything Got hit throughout the day, bait, hootchies and the gibs big bite. We hit alot of shakers, quite a few undersized and had a good pop off run that didn't stick. We had one about 12 or 13 pounds to the boat before I manged to let it run into the rigger cable. Mark worked hard to get in the net but in the end I didn't set him up well lol. Great day and seems to be lots of fish around, alot more than I usually hit at HITW.

OLAY!!!

Got the tub in the salt today! Headed out to the Hump, but found there was one too many a'lump!

Circled back in to fish the bell. Ding Dong.... KABONG! Picked off a nice scrappy 10-ish fish just between Jericho and the Bell. LOTS of bait in the Harbour today Bobba Looeys! It took a Homeland Security Skinny G behind a Chartreuse Lemon Lime flasher, 95' down. A few undersizers all on this combo. The bait and spatterback didn't get a sniff!

Here's a snapper of the 'chovies I found in his belly... Cop Car Skinny G for comparison.

P3NWT6R.jpg

Fished HITW for 2hrs leading into the low slack this afternoon and hit a few really small ones all on spoons, then buzzed over to Grace and fished till 6pm hitting 4 better size fish all suspended about 30' off bottom, again on spoons, 1 bonked and in the box. A couple more passes on the way home at HITW with no hits. Fingers crossed for calm winds this weekend in the straight..

Quick report from yesterday.....we too hit HITW around 3pm or so til about 7:30 we called it quits. Spent the first couple of hours fishing 80-120 with just cod hooked....had one good hit on a spoon that didn't stick. The day started to cloud over and we zipped to Horseshoe to pick up a buddy for a couple of hours. As we got back we switched over to just bait....which hadn't had enough time to brine as I just picked it up at 2pm. :confused: There was a Striper that hooked into a fish as we trolled back and just asked him how deep he was hitting them....50-60 which made some sense as it had clouded over. Well....then we started to get hits but the salmon were biting short and soft; unfortunately my kits was at home and my buddy didn't have any rigs with stingers on them which may have helped. Had about 4 hits which were raked on bait in that depth zone but nothing that stuck...was a bit frustrating even when I had the treble in quite a ways back on the chovie.

Nice night to be out regardless and the wind died down turning HITW into a lake. When running back around it was cool to see SO many harbour porpoises all over the place around Whitecliff and Caufield....there were everywhere!

So nothing in the box for us but definitely had action when we moved up more shallow and it eliminated the cod factor.

Just a pro tip for you. Fish faster and you will keep the Cod away. Salmon are fast, they WILL catch you. The PCod are annoying...just speed up a bit. Run the bait with a bigger curve if you run bait and also run the flashers slightly further back. Speed up .25-.50 knots over your regular speed and watch the cod stay away. When the Cod go away, slow down and carry on....

Just a pro tip for you. Fish faster and you will keep the Cod away. Salmon are fast, they WILL catch you. The PCod are annoying...just speed up a bit. Run the bait with a bigger curve if you run bait and also run the flashers slightly further back. Speed up .25-.50 knots over your regular speed and watch the cod stay away. When the Cod go away, slow down and carry on....

I hear ya dude....kept telling my buddy that. ;)

View attachment 27443 View attachment 27444

I do believe the anchovies have started spawning locally. The first picture was taken at Jericho last year on July 10th. You could scoop them up with your hand as the juvenile salmon were herding them from underneath like a pack of wolves. The second picture was taken August 25th. Kids snagged one with a herring jig. Not sure if they are from the same brood but I suspect they are.

HI there Tinny, not trying to contradict you but there is another bait species that spawns at Jericho Beach. Smelt spawn on the beaches from Spanish Banks to Jericho all summer.

I'm only viewing your pics on my phone, so it's hard to tell the species. Smelt spawn on the beaches locally and they've done that for ages. The numbers are very depressed compared to the old days but they still spawn on our beaches every summer. Smelt spawn on the beach, herring spawn on kelp, not sure how Anchovies spawn.

Just thinking maybe you might have mistook Smelt for Anchovies. Maybe someone familiar with the Anchovies life cycle and could enlighten us as to whether those were Anchovies on our local beaches.

It would certainly be great if they were starting to spawn and start up resident populations locally.

Fished HITW today hooked 8 nice ones all on spoons from 80-120 landed 3 keepers amd a dozen little guys , got 2 Pcod at the end of the day but other then that we didnt hook any other Pcod all day.

My boats still out for repair, so seeing that I am on my vacation from work, the family and I did something we had always wanted to do. We booked a charter with Jason at Bon Covy. We had watched, followed and pried info out of Jason for years now so it was good to get out together. We departed at 630 am in order to catch some of the morning tide and hit up hole in the wall as the fishing had been good there. We were there pretty quick leaving crab traps in the harbor as the Grady travels at 32 mph cruise. We ran spoons and bait at depths between 113 and 80. Skinny g homeland did alot of action on shakers and one good lost hit. We didn't mark a ton of fish so we decided to switch tactics and Jason took us on a tour of Howe sound and spent some time at all his favorite hunts showing us his style for each. Great day on the water and in the end we landed right back at hole in the wall where Jason made sure we got into two nice keeper springs before heading back to the crab traps.

HI there Tinny, not trying to contradict you but there is another bait species that spawns at Jericho Beach. Smelt spawn on the beaches from Spanish Banks to Jericho all summer.

I'm only viewing your pics on my phone, so it's hard to tell the species. Smelt spawn on the beaches locally and they've done that for ages. The numbers are very depressed compared to the old days but they still spawn on our beaches every summer. Smelt spawn on the beach, herring spawn on kelp, not sure how Anchovies spawn.

Just thinking maybe you might have mistook Smelt for Anchovies. Maybe someone familiar with the Anchovies life cycle and could enlighten us as to whether those were Anchovies on our local beaches.

It would certainly be great if they were starting to spawn and start up resident populations locally.
If you go to Predator charters instagram page you will see a video of a large school of anchovies filter feeding at Sewells marina.
bonked a few springs this year and all have had anchovies in the belly. Ive been fishing this area for 30years and its a first for me.

Well, it's really good to hear the reports of Anchovies returning to the inside of the strait. It's been ages since Anchovies were in these parts.

My boats still out for repair, so seeing that I am on my vacation from work, the family and I did something we had always wanted to do. We booked a charter with Jason at Bon Covy. We had watched, followed and pried info out of Jason for years now so it was good to get out together. We departed at 630 am in order to catch some of the morning tide and hit up hole in the wall as the fishing had been good there. We were there pretty quick leaving crab traps in the harbor as the Grady travels at 32 mph cruise. We ran spoons and bait at depths between 113 and 80. Skinny g homeland did alot of action on shakers and one good lost hit. We didn't mark a ton of fish so we decided to switch tactics and Jason took us on a tour of Howe sound and spent some time at all his favorite hunts showing us his style for each. Great day on the water and in the end we landed right back at hole in the wall where Jason made sure we got into two nice keeper springs before heading back to the crab traps.
i have been out with Jason before, great guy

I think we were beside ya in at HITW with the orange Kingfisher!! Jay knows how to put his clients on the fish

out at HITW late yesterday afternoon for a couple of hours. Nothing but 2 baby chinook. dozen boats, didn't see anything in any of them.

out at HITW late yesterday afternoon for a couple of hours. Nothing but 2 baby chinook. dozen boats, didn't see anything in any of them.

Was out till 6 last night at HITW and got one keeper 12 pounds on a Bon chovy spoon at 85 feet and had a couple just unders and a few little guys!

I hear HITW is coughing em up again this morning, nothing huge but a few legal for one boat. My turn Sat/Sun hopefully wind doesn't materialize so we can get out towards the hump

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back