2016 Sidney

RogersonCrusoe

Starting up the 2016 reports thread:

I was out for two hours last night (Wednesday) in and around Sidney Spit / Red Can. The only pin-popper I had was a submerged trap. Thankfully a bit of muscle and some patience and I got all my gear back.

Haven't caught anything in a couple trips and it's starting to get frustrating! :D

Skunk streak broken!
I hit up Fairfax Saturday afternoon 3-7 and we could barely keep them off the line. 120 feet with the small anchovies. We had 8 fish to the boat and kept two. But the six other fish were Pacific cod!
Never seen that before...

Two other big hits but didn't get the hook.

image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg

We've caught 3 pacific cod there as well the past couple of trips.

We've also been doing well there with coho killers and purple haze squirts.

Last week, some me and some buddies caught approx. 100lb ~150cm Hali in that neighbourhood too. Was tough letting that one swim away! Great fight though and good first Hali trip for my friend wh had never been Hali fishing!

Fished Sunday at Coal Island 2 fish on lost one to a seal got the second one in nice 13 lb spring. Fished 3 hours 96 ft. Green squirt green flashers.

Gonna head over that way this weekend. I have a couple ebb spots, but where's a good spot to hit on the flood? I'm thinking the NE side of coal island, but that's just a guess based on looking at a map.

Halibut fished around Sidney Island, our ""go to spot"", lots of boats out, fished for 4 hours, one small ling, released, and a lots of nibbles, no love today!! perfect tides, wind. Any reports? Xena

Nothing for me around Powder Wharf and Sidney Spit from 3-6. Big ebb, couldn't find any salmon around.
Heading out tomorrow too!

Skunked at zero rock for hali, headed to powder wharf, not a tug just soaking line. One person said they got one near the wharf not many boats out and super flat water. Everything was right just no fish :( oh well next time it is.

Anchored up from 730-100pm between zero rock and kelp reef. Didn't put anything in the boat. Currents were just as tables predicted. We were rewarded with a good haul of dungeness when we pulled the traps back at the spit.

Hooked into this nice bruiser yesterday. Fished both weekend days and ended up with 3. Did try for halibut a bit on the soft incoming saturday but no love. Seems like there were more boats out hali fishing than salmon, I assume because of the slow tides. Great weekend to be out either way!

bc21.jpg

Anchored up from 730-100pm between zero rock and kelp reef. Didn't put anything in the boat. Currents were just as tables predicted. We were rewarded with a good haul of dungeness when we pulled the traps back at the spit.
What currents table do you use?

Wow Baitman! What a fish! Fairfax if I know my geography?

Haven't been able to post for a while because I was locked out of my account since the site reboot, but I've been out fishing lots so here's a broad report for the last month or so:

Fishing has been good some days, and nonexistant other days. I haven't been seeing nearly as many baitballs on the sounder in general, as compared to earlier in the year. Seems the herring are gone and the needlefish are there.... maybe? The fish are a lot bigger though! Over the past month or so we've been fortunate enough to put at least 3 or 4 fish over 10# on the deck, including a 22# at Coal this past Sunday. The day before though, fishing the same gear and same depths and similar tides, we had nothing but 22-24 inch fish. Ive been fishing mostly bait and spoons, and both seem to be working as expected.

The seals at Coal Island have been brutal this year. Ive heard of a few guys losing decent fish to them, and the 22# we had on Sunday was in a seals mouth for 45 mins before he finally let us have it! The weather has been too good not to fish, hope everyone else has had a chance to get out.

Back