My sons first boat.

Sculpin

We moved in the last couple of months and it was a challenge that we met full on. We are still adapting and making things work until fully settled. Our new cool old Dutchman of a neighbor wanted to unload his old tinner and trailer for real cheap. My son caught wind of this and thought it was a good deal. The boat is an older riveted aluminum hull (aluminum good......riveted......not so much in my world ha ha). Well all he wanted was a hundred and fifty bucks for the whole works without a motor, so I thought it was a good starting point for my son and he went and paid for it.

Jake the first mate turns captain........

The trailer is around a 90% rebuild.

He hit it hard with lot's of elbow grease.......

He started stripping the paint off the hull and probably takes after his father lol. (Don't take it seriously BGM:D).

Side shot of the hull.......

I am going to try to take as many before and after shots as possible. It is keeping him quite busy right now and he seems to be fully committed.

I'm going to keep posting progress pictures for anyone that is interested.

Cheer,
Sculpin

Last edited by a moderator:
Awesome. My first boat was a tin riveted boat that I re-peened and then sprayed the interior with some sort of truck bed liner.was waterproof after that. Main power was an Evinrude 8hp. Got into all sorts of trouble with that boat.

Same here. Pretty much grew up at Toquaht Bay and by 11 and 12 my brother and I were taking our 12 ft tinny with 9.9 out to swale rock and down to Effingham.

If there's one thing I have learned over the years, girls do crazy **** on boats :) doesn't matter if it's a riveted tinner or a speed boat, the end result has always been good for me.

X2 on the spray in bed liner.

That's awesome. Will be great with a 25hp 2-stroke.

Just last weekend I launched the boat that I learned to run a boat on; at 10' Livingston with a 80s vintage Yamaha 9.9. Going 15knots has never been so much fun! Small boats are great.

Keep the pics coming!

Anyone have a good idea what the fuel burn would be on a late 80's 25 hp 2 stroke on a boat of this size and weight? Trying to figure out what to do for a fuel tank or tanks. I know he is going to want to explore the sound quite a bit and will need some range. He is quite familiar with the sound as we have been at Salmon Beach for 7 years now. Bombing down to Toquart or taking the back route over to Swale is a possibility without getting caught in some nasty weather of the bigger channels.

Oh yeah, we got an offer for a couple of free Big Jon manual downriggers. Going to Scottyize them lol :).

Last edited by a moderator:
Anyone have a good idea what the fuel burn would be on a late 80's 25 hp 2 stroke on a boat of this size and weight? Trying to figure out what to do for a fuel tank or tanks. I know he is going to want to explore the sound quite a bit and will need some range. He is quite familiar with the sound as we have been at Salmon Beach for 7 years now. Bombing down to Toquart or taking the back route over to Swale is a possibility without getting caught in some nasty weather of the bigger channels.

Oh yeah, we got an offer for a couple of free Big Jon manual downriggers. Going to Scottyize them lol :).

I used to run an old Hourston 12 footer with a 25 merc 2 strokes smoker....... A little heavier boat then yours. I would use two cruiseaday five gallons tank. I would run Georgia straight to Active pass from Tswassen about a 12 mile crossing, power mooch ALL DAY. In active, and return no issue...... Would run yo Porlier the odd time too, lots of fuel still.

Good luck to the Hid, I had my first carton per at 16

Glass bead basted. Hand stripping was taking forever and some of the old paint was really on there!!!

Now we can really see what we are up against. Some minor pitting, a couple of small holes, and some weld repairs to look after right away. Going to check all the rivets and use Gluvit on the seams and rivets.

Working on the trailer all weekend and should have it close to done by tomorrow. I'll post up pics once she's together.

To be continued....

Sounds like you are contributing major time to this project sculpin-in the long run a good endeavour-kids remember the practical stuff long after the lectures are forgotten!!

Glass bead basted. Hand stripping was taking forever and some of the old paint was really on there!!!

Now we can really see what we are up against. Some minor pitting, a couple of small holes, and some weld repairs to look after right away. Going to check all the rivets and use Gluvit on the seams and rivets.

Working on the trailer all weekend and should have it close to done by tomorrow. I'll post up pics once she's together.

To be continued....

Wow that turned out great John.

Well like I posted before, the trailer is about a 90% rebuild. He managed to save and tune up the tires and rims (still in really good shape).

The main channel frame was the only thing worth saving besides the wheels and tires. With a little bit of help from his old man, he is turning into quite a fab man.

Straightening everything out so she will tow nice.

Coming along and Jake welding.

Not too shabby for about his 3rd time ever welding with a mig gun.

To be continued....

This is the kind of stuff I have to put up with working with my son lol :D.

Starting to look like a trailer again.

I'm really proud of how much drive he put into it today (on a Sunday to boot!) :cool:.

We are going to test fit the boat on it tomorrow to figure out the bunks and small side guides then strip it all back down and paint her up with some leftover two part industrial paint I have kicking around.

To be continued.....

Back