Alberni Inlet 2015

I slept in the Walmart parking lot with several other rigs and launched in town. It isn't a very long boat run to China creek.

Heading back up to China creek early am. Work until midnight yuck. Good to hear there is still lots of fish to be had. Looks like it,s gonna be a scorcher. How's the wind in the canal in the morning with this hot weather?

just got back, limited out yesterday morning and then went down to spend the night at our favorite spot, fished pill this morning, nothing so headed back, started fishing socs about 8.30 but the bite seemed to be over.As far as the wind it was not an issue, off the water by 1.00 so I cannot comment on what happened afterward.

Thanks for the Walmart Tip, Tubber. Slept in the parking lot and launched at 4 in town. Headed out to point directly across from China Creek and started trolling towards mactush. Had two fish on right away but lost them both. One had a flasher attached to it cause my mainline broke. I had a bad tangle last weekend with a dogfish. I thought i'd cut off enough line but i guess i missed a spot. That was a major bummer and shortly after we couldn't get anything to bite. Not sure when we started catching fish again but finally we got 2 in the boat out of 6 hits. At some point my girl started driving and i revved up the kicker a bit bringing our speed to about 2.3mph. We went over a school of fish and got a bite, and then another, lost one and then another hit, and we got the second one in and then lost the third. It was exactly as complicated as that was to read. It was right around 11 when the bite started for us. Between 11 and 1:30 I bet we hooked between 30 and 40 fish. The little buggars can be hard to keep on. Some we did everything right and they still fell off. One, that my dad was reeling in we did everything we could to knock it off the line (not on purpose) but somehow it still ended up in the boat. We ended the day with 10, 2 short of our limit, but still happy with the results. We had a great time out there and considering it was our first time I think we did pretty good. Thanks Port Alberni, back to fishing Gulf Island springs until the pinks show up.

Thanks for the Walmart Tip, Tubber. Slept in the parking lot and launched at 4 in town. Headed out to point directly across from China Creek and started trolling towards mactush. Had two fish on right away but lost them both. One had a flasher attached to it cause my mainline broke. I had a bad tangle last weekend with a dogfish. I thought i'd cut off enough line but i guess i missed a spot. That was a major bummer and shortly after we couldn't get anything to bite. Not sure when we started catching fish again but finally we got 2 in the boat out of 6 hits. At some point my girl started driving and i revved up the kicker a bit bringing our speed to about 2.3mph. We went over a school of fish and got a bite, and then another, lost one and then another hit, and we got the second one in and then lost the third. It was exactly as complicated as that was to read. It was right around 11 when the bite started for us. Between 11 and 1:30 I bet we hooked between 30 and 40 fish. The little buggars can be hard to keep on. Some we did everything right and they still fell off. One, that my dad was reeling in we did everything we could to knock it off the line (not on purpose) but somehow it still ended up in the boat. We ended the day with 10, 2 short of our limit, but still happy with the results. We had a great time out there and considering it was our first time I think we did pretty good. Thanks Port Alberni, back to fishing Gulf Island springs until the pinks show up.

Awesome report. What a fun day. Heading out in the am to try our luck again.

started at Nahmint at 6 am ,
one fish in 30 min , then a seine boat let its net go
right in front of 20 rec boats , pulled the pin , headed up to the narrows ,
we were done by 9;30 with 12 fish , all 50-70 feet ,
not lights out like the week before , but good ,
2-2.3 mph , 24in leaders
looked like most were catching , a few not so well lol ,

great catches at our docks from 7-12 mile yesterday ,
plenty of 15-25 lb Chinook , loaded with squid im hearing
our turn today ,

gd lk

fd

fished between China Creek and the Narrows right in the middle, started at 4:30 and had our limits in 2 hrs.
45'-55'
1.7 mph
24" leader
Pink Haze flasher and small pink hootchies.
Wanted to keep going but......
Water was like glass the whole time :)

Just back from two days at China Creek.
Launched boat at China Creek at 5 am Saturday, headed across to Dunsmuir Point and trolled south no farther than Arden Creek . Couldn't get all four lines in the water for the first half hour, it was so busy. had our eight fish by 6:15 and headed back to creek to moore boat and set up camp. No wind Saturday night and had a swim off the beach it was so hot.
Sunday was basically a repeat of Saturday except it took until 7:30 to get them all. Lots of people coming in with limits or just shy of.
Big difference from last year when we left after 4 days with just 3 sox. Lol

started at Nahmint at 6 am ,
one fish in 30 min , then a seine boat let its net go
right in front of 20 rec boats , pulled the pin , headed up to the narrows ,
we were done by 9;30 with 12 fish , all 50-70 feet ,
not lights out like the week before , but good ,
2-2.3 mph , 24in leaders
looked like most were catching , a few not so well lol ,

great catches at our docks from 7-12 mile yesterday ,
plenty of 15-25 lb Chinook , loaded with squid im hearing
our turn today ,

gd lk

fd

Good on you, great to hear your on'em !

Last edited by a moderator:
Hit it saturday starting 6 or so and done by 9, first time fishing sox here. Didnt use dummy flashers and tubbed out. 18-24" leader, red, blue and green flashers(didnt seem to matter), small pink hootchies. The biggest factor was speed. 1.5 knots didnt do it, all fish were at 2-2.5 doing zig zag pattern and usually it was the fast side that hit. 55-95 feet on the rigger. Most of the fish were caught tight to shore. Most fish didnt manage to pop off the rigger. Seemed to have to gently pop the clip or they would get off.

Last edited by a moderator:
Just back from China Creek yesterday after 3 days and I gotta give credit to the guys here that answered my call for advice for a first timer. You guys nailed it.

Friday am: fished Macktush and put 16 in the boat and was off the water by 10am. Started at 45' then went down gradually from there to 70'. The bite was solid and the action was fast and furious and we must have lost maybe 30 fish. I guess experience does count for a lot. Green holographic flashers on 4' leaders with same flashers on the rods and pink/black mini plankton with single black hook on a 24" leader, 15' back from the clip. Clips staged 10' apart covering 40' of depth until we found the fish then evened them up.

Saturday am: same as Saturday with the first fish in the boat at 05:01 and then solid until about 7am. Then the bite dropped off and we had to really work for it eventually picking up 1 more fish while trolling back to China Creek from Macktush. Damn it was HOT in that sun!! We found much bigger fish down deep at 70-80' and pulled some real beauties up.

Saturday pm: went out for the night bite round Lone Tree. Quite a few fish on the sounder just south of China Creek and picked up a couple as the sun set and lost three.

Sunday am: Macktush was on fire!! Non-stop action and was a little disappointed to come off the water early with limits. A good few boats had already left and the bite was still on so I assume they limited too. The fish cleaning stations were busy.

A few things I learnt:
It is important to keep your rod tip down when the fish hits the surface. Thanks Delray, I soon mastered that one.
When your rod tip is down at water level and you transition from one side of the boat to another to control the fish, lift the rod tip so you aren't pointing directly at the fish at any point. Yes, I did learn that one the hard way.
Always carry two nets. I do on the principle of two is one and one is none. This is important for when a) you get a double header and b) when your buddy breaks his and you need to give him your spare.
Check your nets for holes. One of mine is a large mesh and it was only after the hook gave as the fish dropped in the net (and we celebrated as we all saw it go in - lucky eh?) that we lift the net to see the fish drop out. One strand had given way and it was just enough to be unlucky.
There are many great people that go fishing.
There are many assholes that go fishing.
When at the cleaning table, don't unload all your fish. Perhaps the guy opposite needed fish more than we did but he claimed we had one of his so we went along with it. We put 16 fish on the table and left with 15. Maybe he'll choke on a bone.

Thanks for all the help guys, I really appreciate it.

Good on you, great to hear your on'em !

hands on for us at 7-10 mile !! not so good , few small fish was all, gonna have to head out a little further if you want bigger fish , 15-25 lb chinook , coho , plenty o hali at Rats nose ,
inside pretty scratchy , nice size coho at Kirby and Effingham now , had a 12 lb yesterday ,
few springs at Danvers and Ellis at 90 feet
school of coho and springs in the middle of trevor channel at 100 - 135 feet
was a nice surprice trollin towards Sanford from Ellis

gd lk , were outta here now..
inside is definately better than last week on salmon

fd

Still solid fishing in the inlet. I was back out yesterday with a couple of buddies and although we didn't get on the water until 6:30, we were still limited out by 10am down at Macktush. Same rigs as in my earlier post and same technique; start off with rods at 40, 50, 60 & 70' and find out where the fish are hitting. For us, it was 60' to start so we fished 60 and 70' for the morning with good success.

Cleaning tables were busy at China Creek but nowhere near as busy as the weekend before. Lots of vacant camping pitches and moorings. The smoke over the island probably helped as it was like fishing at first light all morning!

Back