Alberni Inlet 2015

Im heading to china creek for a few days. I know the sockeye fishery but I would like to target springs a little later on in the morning. Any hints on where to start to look would be greatly appreciated or would i just be burning fuel.
Thanks
Steveo

Im heading to china creek for a few days. I know the sockeye fishery but I would like to target springs a little later on in the morning. Any hints on where to start to look would be greatly appreciated or would i just be burning fuel.
Thanks
Steveo

There fish in the Sound but it's not stellar by any means (i.e. relative to other years at this time). I've heard all the regular spots (Diplock, Flemming, Bamfield Wall, Kirby, Swale, etc.) are all producing on any given day. Myself, I prefer more 'outer' Sound spots (Kirby, Edward King, Mearse, etc.) but I like burning gas.

Are the First Nations gill netting over for this week?

what area did they target?

Thinking of going up Friday morning.

Do we have a count yet how many sockeye are past the counters/

Thanks.

Are the First Nations gill netting over for this week?

what area did they target?

Thinking of going up Friday morning.

Do we have a count yet how many sockeye are past the counters/

Thanks.

Latest Bulletin has 14,500 escaped to Sproat and 4,250 to Great Central, and for the run size, they would like it to be a total of 25,000 combined by June 15th. Low warm water in the river is gonna play a big role this year.

Very few fish in the river, so the FN fishery is a bust so far. The rec fishery is stellar. No Chinooks in the inlet, and Barkley is slow at moment.

We had a good morning yesterday around the Narrows and Macktush. At one point we made 6 passes 100 feet off the beach at Macktush in 70 feet of water and had doubles and a triple header. We caught most of them at 45 feet at 2 mph. It took no time to get a dozen but then they slowed down and we worked for the next 4 fish. It was funny going over schools of sockeye on the screen and not a touch. Headed out at 1000 when the wind started with our limit.

It was a lot of fun sockeye fishing and I'm sure it's only the beginning of a good stretch but that's it for me. I have the jars full and fillets in the freezer so I'm happy about that. Now it's time to load the boat and head to Nootka for the summer. Good luck in the Inlet folks.

I, when fishing pt Albernie,fish across the inlet between stamp point and polly point ,on bottom there is a ledge there that hold springs troll a tuby 5" 203 tomic near bottom.

Thanks guys. On the water at 4:45. Had my limit before 5:45. Lost a couple double headers, released a couple smaller ones. Just outside China creek 50'. Pink and black was the ticket. Blowin pretty good for my 16' so breakfast and a nap.

For those of you asking about the commercial seine fishery, it will open this Monday:
omass Sockeye Stock Assessment Update
Pre-season forecast:
Somass (Great Central and Sproat) – “Abundant Range” 700,000 – 1 million
Henderson Lake sockeye outlook ~ 25,000 – 45,000
Escapement to June 17: ~ 20,000
Test Fishery: Seine vessel Nita Maria June 15th- 16th (not restricted by seine free zone) Estimated
70,000 outside Ten Mile Point and inside – 150,000. Total 220,000 in the Inlet.
First in-season re-forecast: June 25th
Catch Estimate: ~ 117,000 adults
Somass First Nations – 52,946
Maanulth First Nations Domestic harvest – 2,123
Area D Gillnet – ~ 41,082
Area B Seine – 0
Recreational – 12,065
Test Fishery – 8,798
NEXT WEEK’S FISHING PLANS:
First Nations st nd Tsu-ma-uss (Hupacasath & Tseshaht) Gillnets Sunday June 21 12 pm to Monday June 22 12 pm from Hohm Island to Hook Bay Tuesday June 23rd 12 pm to Wednesday June 24th 12 pm from the Orange Bridge to Ten Mile Point. Hook and Line – 7 days a week from Papermill Dam to Hook Bay except for Papermill Dam Pool. Tseshaht Communal Drag Seine – Friday June 19th 5 am to 12 pm. Saturday June 20th to Sunday June 21st daily 7 am to 4 pm at Papermill Dam Pool. th Hupacasath Communal Gillnet –Friday June 19 12 pm to 6 pm Orange Bridge to Ten Mile Point. Saturday June 20th 8 pm to Sunday June 21st 8 pm to 6 am, from Hohm Island to Hook Bay. (Limited to designated boats only) Seine Vessel Nita Maria may also be designated for harvest depending on success of gillnet fishery. Maa-nulth – 7 days a week. Gillnet and Hook and Line - the harvest plan may include the contracting of designated Area D Gillnet vessels to harvest sockeye. These vessels will be displaying numbered green Maa-nulth identification flags.
Commercial rd Area D Gillnet –Tuesday June 23 14 hour opening from 6 am to 8 pm from the Bamfield line to the
Pocahontas line Area B Seine - Seine fishery will open Monday June 22nd 10 am to Wednesday June 24 target catch of 50,000 pcs (whichever occurs first). There will be a closed area for seines as agreed to by the Area 23 Harvest Committee. The initial seine closed area will be bounded in the north by a line from Dunsmuir Point to the pilings north of China Creek and, in the south by a line drawn from Hocking Point easterly to the opposite shore.
Recreational
th
May 1 until further notice 4 sockeye per day in Area 23 except for the tidal portions of the Somass River which remain at 2 sockeye per day. Experimental non tidal river fishery at Somass Park opened May 18th 2 sockeye per day. For more information please refer to Fisheries Notices or contact the DFO office in Port Alberni at 250 720-4440
10 am with a

2 days , what a blast , easy limits , learning curve on landing em lol ,
had a great time with reeltime , fish between 45-65 , Dunsmuir to Sproat Narrows ,
exit china creek on the kicker , turn left and hang on , non stop action
seen a few sfbc guys , nice seein ya Deryk , thx Survivor for the pre report ,
off for sum white meat today ,
gd lk
get out there fellas

fd

2 days , what a blast , easy limits , learning curve on landing em lol ,
had a great time with reeltime , fish between 45-65 , Dunsmuir to Sproat Narrows ,
exit china creek on the kicker , turn left and hang on , non stop action
seen a few sfbc guys , nice seein ya Deryk , thx Survivor for the pre report ,
off for sum white meat today ,
gd lk
get out there fellas

fd

Good to hear Felix,
Check out my FB for a way my Buddy brings in a sock ..... no nets needed on his boat lol
looking forward to the white fish report
Tight lines, play safe, Good Luck
S-V II

Last edited by a moderator:
Haha It was good seeing u out there.. its always fun catching a pile of fish..save some white fish for me..still haven't been in Barkley yet...likes like July for me before I get in there...cheers

I'm assuming most people are up early fishing the sox. Anyone having any luck in the evenings?

We have done extremely well in the evenings occasionally, but more typical is a scratchy few hours fighting the wind.
Last 2 nights have been good examples: 0 last night and 1 tonight - still better to be fishing than doing yard work!

White meat was very good out west,
salmon not to shabby on the beach either!!
big bank is fishin well when the winds allow
plenty of fish at out tables , finally :)

great wknd
get out there
gd lk

fd

ignore quote I didnt know how to report on thread without replying with quote............Was out this a.m. 6- 10,am. 5 socs got two on coho killer 3 on pink squirt.......got the five within an hour then nothing after that...

Here is how you do that. Either click the +Reply To thread button and then type or the easiest way is just to start typing in the box under Quick Reply then hit 'Post Quick reply'.

Forum Reply.jpg

Back