Alberni Inlet 2015

My neighbour and his 2 buddies limited out Monday...bite didn't start till arouund 9 and they were done in an hour right near China Creek

Bob Cole mentioned this earlier an Tyee club site

The Gillnetters start one 14 hour opening from Pocahontas out to the surf line next week.
One day a week out there after that until July.
The seiners will be inside Pocahontas excluding the seine free zone (Hocking to Dunsmuir) starting either the week of the 16th or 23rd fishing to a set count or 3 days,whichever comes first.
With the current River temperatures and levels and more hot weather coming, the fish will school and hold and they should be done in one day each week.
Rec fishing in the seine free zone should be good.
The test seine boat also starts next Monday.
Google Sockeye bulletin or call the DFO office for a copy of the bulletin.
Cleaning stations are looking nice and bloody

Lance

A buddy was out this a.m.
Only saw a few taken, and they were very small.
So, still spotty.

On the water at 5 this morn near China Creek, got 4 and lost a couple. First one was landed around 6:30 and the last at 8:30...bite was pretty spotty

Sockeye

whats the latest report on the socs. thanx in advance.....C.A.

The catches have been very steady for the last three days. 45 and 51 on the rigger stacked with dumb dumbs. Bare hooks seem the best. Most boats in the marina arte now getting full limits.

Lance

quality foods has fresh whole sockeyes on sale this week, from the Canal... 4.5-5 lb size, ad says its a great deal .....30 bucks each.....

quality foods has fresh whole sockeyes on sale this week, from the Canal... 4.5-5 lb size, ad says its a great deal .....30 bucks each.....

yeah...I was there to do food shopping......saw the fish on the table. can't afford to buy the fish...methinks go fishing is better.

My wife and I fished around China creek Friday,Saturday we came home with 9 fish.They are not really schooling up so just need to put in your time.

Lots of fish for this early in the season. That is because very few are going into the river, so they are stacking up nicely. The main run migration should be the last week of June and first week of July.

Most of the guys I know are getting limits every day, but they are moving around to find where the fish are schooling up. Fish are generally at 45 to 50 feet. Pink and black hoochies and black hooks are working best. Watch your speed closely (go slow), wind was pushing guys along pretty good at times. Some big currents too, which also added a level of complexity. I personally had way more success going into the wind because I had better speed control. Fish are really pulling hard and lots of jumps which is leading to a lot of lost fish. Today was way better hook percentage. Yesterday we lost a ton before boating 16. It can be really frustrating controlling your speed - too fast and you are catching nothing. Best bite was either at the crack of rooster fart, or later towards the tide change.

Good luck.

IMG_0918.jpg

Great morning on the canal. Didn't take too long to have our 8. Fish right from Dunsmuir to Mactush. A little deeper than normal but all in all kind of normal again after a few leaner years. Bubble gum and green flashers.

We went down the inlet Monday late afternoon and pounded our way to China Creek. Started trolling south towards the Narrows. The fish started to bite when the wind calmed down at 2000 hrs. 50 feet was working as the sun was still out. As the sun went down I kept bringing the rigger up and ended up at 30 feet. We caught our 8 fish by 2130 hrs and headed in to China Creek for the night. On the way in we had to watch for nets in the water. The bay before China Creek was loaded with 8 sets of nets across the inlet and very hard to see.

We tied up as you just got into the marina on the outside dock so it was easy for my buddy to dock. We cleaned the fish and had a cocktail getting ready for bed. The wind started blowing and continued thru the night which rocked the boat a bit thru the night. The part in never thought about was being parked on the outside dock and having the FN netters blast by on plane past the fuel dock towards there boat ramp up the river. We got rocked and pounded against the dock a dozen times thru the night in the NO WAKE ZONE. There is a million dollars worth of boats in the marina that get beat up because of these inconsiderate idiots. So at 0411 it was time to get up and go fishing with 1 hour sleep. Sorry for the rant, back to the fishing story.

It was still blowing and we had 2 foot white caps when we left the river. We headed south past where they netted last night toward the narrows. Started trolling at 35 feet as we seen a few fish on the sounder. They started biting as we got closer to the narrows and picked them off into the wind. When we turned around it was to hard to keep the speed down below 2 mph so the fish were not interested. Worked around Mactush to narrows and seen lots of jumpers and fish going into boats. Was down to 45 feet as the sun came up. By 0900 the white caps were 3 feet high and we had our limit and headed back to Port.

When we got to the cleaning station most of the guys that were around the narrows did way better than around China Creek. Most of the guys gave up about the same time due to the wind yesterday. We are back Thursday so I hope the wind dies down.

We went down the inlet Monday late afternoon and pounded our way to China Creek. Started trolling south towards the Narrows. The fish started to bite when the wind calmed down at 2000 hrs. 50 feet was working as the sun was still out. As the sun went down I kept bringing the rigger up and ended up at 30 feet. We caught our 8 fish by 2130 hrs and headed in to China Creek for the night. On the way in we had to watch for nets in the water. The bay before China Creek was loaded with 8 sets of nets across the inlet and very hard to see.

We tied up as you just got into the marina on the outside dock so it was easy for my buddy to dock. We cleaned the fish and had a cocktail getting ready for bed. The wind started blowing and continued thru the night which rocked the boat a bit thru the night. The part in never thought about was being parked on the outside dock and having the FN netters blast by on plane past the fuel dock towards there boat ramp up the river. We got rocked and pounded against the dock a dozen times thru the night in the NO WAKE ZONE. There is a million dollars worth of boats in the marina that get beat up because of these inconsiderate idiots. So at 0411 it was time to get up and go fishing with 1 hour sleep. Sorry for the rant, back to the fishing story.

It was still blowing and we had 2 foot white caps when we left the river. We headed south past where they netted last night toward the narrows. Started trolling at 35 feet as we seen a few fish on the sounder. They started biting as we got closer to the narrows and picked them off into the wind. When we turned around it was to hard to keep the speed down below 2 mph so the fish were not interested. Worked around Mactush to narrows and seen lots of jumpers and fish going into boats. Was down to 45 feet as the sun came up. By 0900 the white caps were 3 feet high and we had our limit and headed back to Port.

When we got to the cleaning station most of the guys that were around the narrows did way better than around China Creek. Most of the guys gave up about the same time due to the wind yesterday. We are back Thursday so I hope the wind dies down.

nice report ,thx !!
were there tmrw for 2 days ,
report when we dock ,
im hearing its really good now ,
get out there !!

fd

it is good right now
30-90 feet deep, even a slower speed than usual, 22-25" leaders

Back