Herring spawn reports?

Cuba Libre

Just one confirmed report of a small spot spawn near Henry Bay in Upper Baynes Sound. Anyone seen any others between Campbell River and Qualicum?

It butt bait gathering time!

There were a group of guys jigging for them at the Craigflower bridge at 1:00 pm today...

There were a group of guys jigging for them at the Craigflower bridge at 1:00 pm today...

I think they are catching too, one dude that I saw when driving by had a bucket beside him and there was a crowd standing around looking into it.

You know-- just when you post what you think is gospel-- along comes someone to say "Slow Down" There are always exceptions to the rule.

Have a look at the spawning records from Area 14.... yup-- lots of spawning in last week of Feb and in March. But there are also some BEFORE. And those are the ones I want for bait. Not squishy ones

Perhaps I should have said "Pre-spawn herring" Because I know there are out there staging ..

Anyway-- not to get into a big debate that wont change the herrings behavior one bit-- I just would like to get a "heads up" for those of us that jig hali bait this time of year.
Cheers
me

A few of the herring predators are doing quite well just south of gartley pt. I have seen it myself.
Yes, it is starting to happen.

Hey Cuba Libre, look at the #40 at the bottom of the chart, that just happens to be today, day #40 of this year, just what I was trying to say, the chart shows what I said, it's too early for the herring spawn.........Cheers........Me.

and I repeat Perhaps I should have said "Pre-spawn herring" Because I know there are out there staging ..

Anyway-- not to get into a big debate that wont change the herrings behavior one bit-- I just would like to get a "heads up" for those of us that jig hali bait this time of year.
No de-bait--- Thanks Islandgirl. As soon as the weather gives me a good opportunity I will be out there.

On Feb. 4th I flew on Harbour Air out of Comox Harbour. We had to fly real low till south Hornby cause of the weather. I was amazed to see the small patches of spawn so early. It's happening........

Shelter Point to Lazo on the east coast of VI ---- HUGH schools of herring. And they are bigger than I have seen for years. If you want bait now is the time.

For those that don't live on the coast like me, Superstore has pretty big frozen bags of big herring for much cheaper than regular bait herring. A guy could grade them for size and quality and re-pack them on trays and vacuum pack for summer.

Back