What boat checks all these boxes

TenMile

Dreaming of my next boat. So far, everything I've found online misses one or two of my key needs. Here they are:

- Boat needs to do double duty. Family cruiser, but able to fish the west coast and take the big water well...
- Needs to sleep a family of 4 (two near-teens not getting any smaller) -- preference for 2 dedicated sleeping berths
- OAL has to be less than 37' -- that sounds big, but my Bayliner 288 measures exactly 37' from bow pulpit to end of kicker
- preference for diesel power -- we put loads of hours on the boat each year
- want to be able to steer from the dance floor
- preference for a beam of 12'
- don't want a project -- have enough of those
- no trawlers - want to be able to cruise at 25kts
- galley and living area MUST be above the waterline (my wife's only must-have no compromise feature)

What I WANT is this boat -- but there are too many digits in the price tag: http://ca.boats.com/boat-details/Sea-Sport-Pacific-3200-Catamaran/163248441#.VMG8wFWJOuY

Want I really really want is an Ocean Sport Roamer 33 -- but the extra digit in the price usually starts with a 2 or 3 and in that case, I'd have to live on it full time (alone).

The Commander 30 comes very close -- so close in fact that it may be my #1 choice. Some of the late '90's used ones can meet my budget.

You guys know of any boat out there that meet my list?

I dream of both the ocean roamer and 30 foot comnander. I think the 30 foot commander has a much better lay out for the family.

Ya.....Murph and I know how nice the Ocean Sport is. ;)

TenMile......you have all of the wishes but what is the budget? That becomes a MASSIVE factor in the "what you want" versus "what you'll get".....versus "I can work without that".

One thing I will say......I LOVE the Ocean Sports.....loved being on dmurph's and my buddy's....BEAUTIFUL, boats. I truly sat the first time and wished I had silk pajamas to roll around all over the place; they are outstanding boats. His is tricked out with every kind of electronic you can imagine.

In tight quarters (like we fish around the Cap in the late summer/fall/sockeye where EVERY arse in the world who owns something that floats is out there fishing); visibility is tough. I was running our buddy's boat and some dolt in a ~7' dingy ran straight into us because "He lost power". I could not see him at all from the aft station, but seeing as he had a Minkota on the back.....I figured he could have doubled his power in reverse had he pulled out a paddle. The CAP is SO much fun. Haha.

If I was fishing off the WCVI or spots with space.....you'll have a hard time not touching yourself while fishing on it. ;)

Any place ....I would ensure . :p

Last edited by a moderator:
Ya.....Murph and I know how nice the Ocean Sport is. ;)

TenMile......you have all of the wishes but what is the budget? That becomes a MASSIVE factor in the "what you want" versus "what you'll get".....versus "I can work without that".....

Yeah no kidding. Otherwise an Ocean Sport would be mine! Heck I'd even settle for one of those Coastal Cruisers.

But, my budget ain't in that area code. Call it 5 digits, not 6. I'm going to get $40-ish for mine and have a decent boat fund built up.

Call it 5 digits, not 6. I'm going to get $40-ish for mine and have a decent boat fund built up.

Okay....brother....talk to me. 5 digits.....is a REALLY, REALLY wide spectrum. 10000-99999.

Narrow it down for us!!! ;)

Ten,
there are a couple nice commanders in my marina for sale thru the broker there, I'll see if I can find them and post for you
Tim,
it just hit me who has them, give Calibre yacht sales a call at mosquito creek, I dont see the boats listed on their site but they do have 2 different 30 commanders there
and they do look pretty pristine, although in saying that I was just down at the dock today and dont remember walking by them, but I am getting old lol

Theres a 2001 bayliner 3258 at pacific boat brokers that comes close

Those are cool boats but the twin 5.7L with carbs aren't my deal. There's a model a bit of a step up called a 3388 (and 3488) that come with twin diesels -- the 3388 checks almost every box -- there are a few out there that have twin 250HP Cummins diesels that will cruise it at 22-25kts. I'm not sure about the west coast fishing on one of those however as I'm not really sure its a big water boat. http://ca.boats.com/boat-details/Bayliner-3388-Command-Bridge-Motoryacht/168465441#.VMHWLFWJOuY

Bayliner also made a version of a Trophy called a 3460 -- but not many around with diesels.

Pacific Boats also has a cool 32' Uniflite (looks like it's in the blister age however) -- has twin gas Crusaiders but the price is low enough to drop new diesels into it. http://www.pacificboatbrokers.com/images.asp?File_Number=PF4568

TenMile.....have a look at Zeta as well. West Coast Built and they did TONS of custom jobs on unique boats; I know that for sure as I know the company.

Great deal on a diesel Osprey 30 in connetticut . I 'm thinking you are an owner at $70,000. I was going to pull the trigger on it but gave money to the kid instead.

Back