2015 Nanoose Bay / French Creek

Last week I picked up a semi submerged float and was able to contact and return the trap lost last year to the owner. Wrapped around that set was a tangle of line without a float and a couple more traps that appeared to have been in the water for some time. Traps drift, particularly if they are not weighted well enough. As was the case in this situation.

I put a stone, roughly size of my fist, in each prawn trap under the bait. This should keep trap in proper position and help keep in place. Then about 10 feet in front of top trap, I put a 5 pound weight with bent rebar attached. This works like a mini anchor and drift should not be a problem in any current. Small buoys work better than large for drift prevention too and may make your set less visible to nosy people. Best solution is to stick around your trap area for couple hours, jig or read… No problems then!!

IMG_0737.jpg

Fished high tide on the french creek hump this morning. A few random marks on bottom and a few small bait marks on bottom. Threw everything at em.... Nothing, not even a tap. Lots of big gill netters heading north. Nice sunny calm morning on the water though!

Prairie Buoy, That is one gorgeous day on the water. Great pic, thanks for sharing it.

Fished French Creek hump this morning. Lots of birds mainly closer to shore feeding on washed up herring spawn, odd sea lion and seal, few small bait balls with afew on the bottom as well. Hit off the clip right away-gone (glow flasher/glow Irish cream spoon at 180 ft). I landed/released a undersize spring (glow flasher/purple glow spoon at 210 ft).

Good news - Lots of random marks and lots of small bait marks off french creek hump
Bad news - those marks seem to be pollack! Everytime you raised or lowed your line to get past them you would catch one. One small chinook shaker released.

Whoever has the double eagle with turquoise high top and Suzuki power give your head a shake. They ripped full speed right up to a Sealion colony within 10 feet. All of the animals panicked to get in the water while they did doughnuts overtop of them. Go look at them if you want but don't be an idiot.

On the fishing side of things... It's slow.

Look what the Easter Bunny brought me :)

21 1/2 lbs winter Chinook. Caught out front of French Creek Harbour on the humps.

easter 2015 web.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Got out yesterday for a fish. First day of the year for me and mostly just wanted to get the boat running but we lucked out and nailed a 17! Caught it on an Irish Cream around 160 just outside of Winchelsea.salmon.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Great looking fish southern star and SmokinJoe. Nice to see some decent fish are being caught around French Creek. Keep the reports coming.

Fished high tide at French Creek Hump, odd small bait balls and lots of pollack marks around 80-120 ft (released 7).
Lost two half way to boat, caught/released one fat 59 cm chinook.

Back