Sidney Reports 2015

I've never fished the Pender Bluffs before but this wknd I'm going there. Where do I fish? What depth is best? And particular gear? Thanks!!

You will notice two distinct white stains along the bluffs. You might try fishing between the two stains fairly close to shore. It is very deep along there so it will be tough to fish deep enough to bottom bounce for Springs but I would start as deep as possible and then just hunt for bait and fish on the sounder. It also can be productive a little further south towards the entrance to Bedwell. This time of year it is a little hit and miss. Good luck and post your results.

Boy things have sure changed since prawns opened. Wonder why the steep decline?

A couple of reasons that have been mentioned to me:
1. The first 2 weeks of April the inlet had more traps in it than ever seen before according to some old-timers. Just hammered the prawn population.
2. Trap pullers have come down in price and everyone (except me) has them - old ladies, Italians, and even some Flames fans are now able to prawn. Sorry if I offended any old ladies :)

LOL flames fans. Sorry we are getting beat but hey we can dream there is always the possibility of coming back it's not unheard of. Now as for prawning in the inlet what is the deal? I have no clue how or what to do. Depth, contour? As for crabbing was out a couple weeks back in sidney 4 hour soak near the wharf everyone crabs off near James Island had a few goodies in there was pretty happy. Any reports on crabbing and salmon fishing? just picked up some andrew p lures want to try them out any others had success with them in Sidney?

at risk of sounding like a dick - does anybody think posting all season about how, when and where to prawn in the inlet has anything to do with all the traps?

at risk of sounding like a dick - does anybody think posting all season about how, when and where to prawn in the inlet has anything to do with all the traps?

Well that, the pulse closures, followed by a three month closure and the fact that after last years commercial fishery there was little to catch from June till late fall. You compress the season you get more pressure!

In the past, what has the boundary been for the sidney derby?

Rough area is all I'm after. Thanks in advance

Last edited by a moderator:
25 lb Spring April 28
If you are fishing in the Sidney Anglers Derby this Saturday there may be another one of these 25 lb'ers to hook into! Green glo teaser head, moon jelly flasher, down 120' in 160 - 2 days ago, launched from Tulista, 9:30 bite.
Man did it ever fight! Have fun and good luck to you!25 Chinook April 28 2015.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
25 lb Spring April 28
If you are fishing in the Sidney Anglers Derby this Saturday there may be another one of these 25 lb'ers to hook into! Green glo teaser head, moon jelly flasher, down 120' in 160 - 2 days ago, launched from Tulista, 9:30 bite.
Man did it ever fight! Have fun and good luck to you!View attachment 17904

That is a big spring for this time of year - was it white?

That is a big spring for this time of year - was it white?

No, it wasn't a white. I've only fished out of Sidney for a couple of years and never this early, but double the size of anything I have caught on this side. I've heard some in the high teens have been brought into Oak Bay this week - so hopefully some good ones out there for the Derby. All the best!

Zero Rock... 170ft, couple of flounder, crab on the line and lots of nibbles and going through bait... Days not over yet!

Anchored up this afternoon in the zero rock/ Darcy island area and managed a nice 30 pound Hali. 260 feet on herring .

Went out today and landed a 5 lb hatch Spring on a buzz bomb jigging just offshore of Sidney Spit. Not quite big enough so back in the drink for some more meals it went. Saw a two big balls of bait pass through on the sounder, then just a couple minutes later it struck!

We then jigged on the south side of Forrest Island and my buddy landed an almost legal sized Ling Cod. Good little action out there and nice weather to boot.

Back