Sidney Reports 2015

had 6 bites in sidney on sunday, kept 2 about 10lbs. Every bite on a black/glow squirt, couldn't buy a bite on anything else.

Thanks for the post.

Those Sidney fish are elusive.

Like a Jolly Roger squirt (all glow body with black lines going down 2 sides)?

Thanks for the post.

Those Sidney fish are elusive.

Like a Jolly Roger squirt (all glow body with black lines going down 2 sides)?

ya that's the truth, it seems they are either there or they aren't and a lot of times just little guys(although legal in victoria).

The squirt is glow with black on the top half, sort of like a cop car but glow instead of white - not sure what the name is? Honestly I've never fished it, but my buddy said it's a killer.

Sounds like a jolly roger maybe a witch doctor ?
I remember when Luhr Jensen first came out with the cop car
about 15 years ago. what a killer that was and probably still is.

So went out of talista park today, james island warf to drop crab trap on the mt.newton side two keepers nice to see its not totally crabbed out,then to zero rock for halibut couldn't find a bit especially since I didn't have an anchor but I didn't try very hard had to head back to the truck forgot something lol, then pulled out to navigate the mine field between Sidney spit and james island fished that for a couple hours no hits on army truck coho killer or the other spoons used: coyote number 4.0 black and white, green white and red light colours, or the black and white spoon, purple onion flasher and green onion flashers guess the fishing is dying down in Sidney right now :( oh well if anything nice water and nice day to not be in the office. There was one incident at the dock though older guy unloading his boat when I was coming in he didn't even have it backed in or ug tied and I waited then I moved in and he launches and moves it to the spot I was goin oh well I'm not sure the ediquette but man that was annoying. I'm Patient confrontation at the dock is not my forte or goal I'd rather have a nice day

Last edited by a moderator:
I watched a pod of Transient Orcas off the powder wharf this afternoon taking apart a seal. VERY NICE :)

We dropped our traps at the Spit on Saturday and then fished (anchored) between Halibut Island and Hambley Point for a few hours...nothing but a cabazon. There were 16 keepers in the traps though, and the weather was balmy and calm, so an excellent day all in all.

With reports slow from sooke to the flats thinking of a couple of hours in Sidney tomorrow. Anyone been out recently? Will post a report if we go!
Tight lines this weekend.

Did an evening fish... 4 to 7:30. No bites at the red can. Missed one on a plug at the powder wharf. Three keeper crab at the spit.

Anyone catching anything out of Sidney? Went out yesterday for a bit. Nothing at Powder wharf around the tide change - then over to Coal Island for a bit w same results. Green then bloody nose teaser heads, glow squirt and silver/white hootchie. Hope to find some fish this weekend - perhaps not at Sidney. Good luck (and good motors)

Sunday April 5th:
A few boats at Fairfax.
We went to Powder Wharf for the tide change. Trolled from the red can past powder wharf in a circuit. No nibbles. About 6 other boats there, and didn't see anyone with the net out.
Picked up tonights crab dinner at Sidney Spit though!

There was a small derby on Saturday, put together by a bunch of US anglers. They called it the Can-Am derby and about 30 boats fished in it. The winning fish was a 19 lb spring from Pender Island. Second was one between 17&18 that came from Mandarte Island and third was a 16 from Isabel Point. The winner won a side bet of $7,000! This may become a new annual derby in this area.

Ran down haro straight from sidney an anchored up . Had a big skate to the boat in 20 mins after anchoring and about 15 mins after that I bonked a 35 or so pound Hali. Was a quick trip and I was out of there .

Hey Procupine.. Where were those tickets on sale ?? Heard about it but didn't know when it was.. Some nice fish weighed in..

Any fish reports for sidney area from powderwarf, zero rock(i know not
Sidney), hambley, fairfax or pender?

We caught 2 springs (10 and 19) from Wain Rock and Satelite Channel, trolling just off the bottom. Prawning was a disaster!

Last edited by a moderator:
Spent the day in the Saanich Inlet. Beautiful day but the catching part didn't necessarily go as planned. Prawning couldn't have been much worse.

Spent a couple hours looking for salmon around Wain rock, lost a good one and had another pin popper.

Boy things have sure changed since prawns opened. Wonder why the steep decline?

Back