2015 Gulf Islands Reports

tincan

I just posted the quick report below in the Vancouver section but we should have a seperate Gulf Islands Reports thread as we did last year since there's not a ton of Vancouverites making the trip across on a regular basis (other than May/June fishery). I've heard decent fishing reports recently from Porlier and Pender Bluffs / Moresby but I've yet to catch a fish in 2015 (Dec 28th, 2014 tho :). Look forward to another good year of fishing in the gulf islands and reading up on regular reports here. cheers, tincan

Made the trip over to gulf islands on Saturday and fished east side of Active Pass for a couple of hours. Not a sniff for us but I heard up at the north end (Porlier) there was quite a bit of action, mostly undersized but a few keepers in the mix. Good to see some fish around the gulf islands. Find the bait, find the fish.... and we were not able to find the bait this time - Don't think many people will be heading out with the weather/wind we've been having lately but if you are good luck and be safe!

I just posted the quick report below in the Vancouver section but we should have a seperate Gulf Islands Reports thread as we did last year since there's not a ton of Vancouverites making the trip across on a regular basis (other than May/June fishery). I've heard decent fishing reports recently from Porlier and Pender Bluffs / Moresby but I've yet to catch a fish in 2015 (Dec 28th, 2014 tho :). Look forward to another good year of fishing in the gulf islands and reading up on regular reports here. cheers, tincan

Made the trip over to gulf islands on Saturday and fished east side of Active Pass for a couple of hours. Not a sniff for us but I heard up at the north end (Porlier) there was quite a bit of action, mostly undersized but a few keepers in the mix. Good to see some fish around the gulf islands. Find the bait, find the fish.... and we were not able to find the bait this time - Don't think many people will be heading out with the weather/wind we've been having lately but if you are good luck and be safe!

Usually this is grouped in with a Nanaimo-gulf Islands Thread. Most of the Vancouver crowd runs over and fishes from Neck Point to the Southern Tip of Valdez.....maybe Mayne for a few but usually not.

Gulf Islands has always had it's own thread and certainly deserves one. It just gets less traffic than the Nanaimo thread. Will have to give Porlier a go one of these days maybe. I probably missed all the action though. Crabbing is great in the area!

We were the second boat at Porlier today and had a blast. Our first chinook was about 3 minutes after we arrived- about 58 cm... Lots' of shakers but they were a good & fun 'fight'. The spoons and anchovies evened out by the end of the day - I stuck with spoons and my buddy with anchoives. Interestingly enough, the smaller the spoon the smaller the chinook (or flounder!). About 8 boats showed up (on a Friday in January!!!) and the weather was near perfect - no waves, some sun, some clouds and some fog).

Last edited by a moderator:
Hey D24M you don't mind me asking how deep on the rigger you were fishing?

Most hits were with the dr's set at 10-15 feet off the bottom. A few other hits at other depths but majority as stated. We even passed the Pac Angler Salty Dog and hooked up a double header a few seconds later.

We were the second boat at Porlier today and had a blast. Our first chinook was about 3 minutes after we arrived- about 58 cm... We had about 10 chinook to the boat and numerous other hits (anchovies were being eaten). Lots' of shakers but they were a good 'fight'. The spoons and anchovies evened out by the end of the day - I stuck with spoons and my buddy with anchoives. Interestingly enough, the smaller the spoon the smaller the chinook (or flounder!). About 8 boats showed up (on a Friday in January!!!) and the weather was near perfect - no waves, some sun, some clouds and some fog).

Hey I have only fished this area a couple of times and was wondering if you actually fish through the pass or fish the outside? I was there last summer but didn't see any other boats. Looked like a fun pass to fish through and a lot less traffic than dodging ferries in Active.

Thanks

Hey I have only fished this area a couple of times and was wondering if you actually fish through the pass or fish the outside? I was there last summer but didn't see any other boats. Looked like a fun pass to fish through and a lot less traffic than dodging ferries in Active.

Thanks

The majority fish the outside of the pass and head south ~2 to 2.5 km's

Thanks, I will be at the cabin for almost a month this year, so I will need to fine tune the fishing in this area!

Looking forward to fishing in / around Galiano and Saltspring Island this coming weekend for fortyfour and some others. Will post any reports over the weekend, good or bad. Any recent intel would be appreciated! cheers, tincan

Was out this morning at Porlier 8:30-noon. Pretty slow going, no bait on the sounder, no bites, with the exception of a few undersized bottom fish. Saw 2 or 3 other boats out there, but didn't see action. Trolling 15' of bottom in about 130-160' of water. Using 3.5" green glow type spoons. Gonna give it a try again tomorrow morning and throw some glo/UV hoochies into the mix to see if the results are any better.

Check your PM

Was out this morning at Porlier 8:30-noon. Pretty slow going, no bait on the sounder, no bites, with the exception of a few undersized bottom fish. Saw 2 or 3 other boats out there, but didn't see action. Trolling 15' of bottom in about 130-160' of water. Using 3.5" green glow type spoons. Gonna give it a try again tomorrow morning and throw some glo/UV hoochies into the mix to see if the results are any better.

Well we managed to get out this weekend and fish a few spots in the gulf islands... with not much to show for it unfortunately. Spent saturday at pender bluffs & fairfax (moresby). Dragged up a few bottom critters at both places but nothing chrome. Sunday we heading north and fished off tent island and booth bay as the weather (wind) wasn't ideal for the outside of porlier. Managed to pick up 1 8lb spring off tent island but nothing happening over a booth bay. Got a nice ling off tent as well. Decent prawning and crabbing made up for the less than stellar salmon fishing. Anyone able to find the fish this weekend? They are around somewhere but not where we were.

I fished the booth bay area as well on sunday and did not catch anything. I had also planned to fish porlier but shyed away due to the heavy winds that were occurring when we launched. (10ish). No fish on and didn't see much for bait on the sounder. Got an easy limit of nice big crabs though. Hopefully some nice weather when I'm back again in two weeks.

Well, went out to Porlier again on Saturday morning to give it another try. Was pretty rough out there for my 18.5' Hourston so didn't stay too long as it wasn't exactly relaxing. Made up for it however as I was able to have some success, catching two nice winter springs ( a 30" and a 31"). Maybe could have done a bit better as made the rookie mistake of not checking my lines for the last 1.5 hours only to pull my lines and find undersized bottom fish on both. Oh well, still a good morning in my books. Thanks for your help guys.

Been away in Florida for a while just back this weekend and got out to Thrasher and eastern Gabriola on Sunday: 8:30 arrival at Thrasher for low slack and start of flood,but missing that ebb. Strong NW wind and up to 3' chop made working contours really tough but managed 3 undersize chin 18"-22" released in hr and half.... then got out of there and decided against Porlier due to wind so moved up into Whalebone to find some lee and troll back with the wind into Grande for high slack, no more Chinook in 2-3 more hrs but released 2 decent Lings ( closed till May 1) Was really beautiful day and great to get out despite tough wind conditions. Florida was fantastic but boy we sure do live in a great part of the world. Good crab haul before back to slip on Vancouver side.

IMG_1663res.jpg

IMG_1673res.jpg

IMG_1675res.jpg

Back