Victoria Reports 2015

Three of 6 today. Fish were smaller 5-6# and stomachs were empty.
Smoker is full so I,m done for awhile.

Stomack of this fish was full of large herring. Not sure why it was trying to feed again? They may be targeting needle fish but big herrings are also on the menu.

Attachments

• IMG00070-20150124-1252.jpg
    IMG00070-20150124-1252.jpg
    91 KB · Views: 1,095
Was out Sunday, wow what an epic January day. Glass calm, warm and fishing was hot. Between Trial Island and Brotchie we went 9 / 13, biggest being 11lbs and 9lbs. We lost two to seals, long line release two. We kept 6 mostly all hatchery fish and released 3. Fishing right down on bottom, both chovies and spoons were working. Great Day

Did anyone have the good fortune to be out fishing today?
What incredible weather.
Not me, counted inventory at work.:(

Scott,
Out from Sooke to Whirl. Not much to report (on Sooke thread), but you are right, the weather was absolutely fantastic for January!!
Maybe you can get out tomorrow??:cool:

Amazing day....Brochie Ledge sealed once,one small which went back one scrappy 10 # er wild let it go as well all on a splattered green and yellow glow spoon 181 on the rigger 2.3 knots from abot 10 o'clock to 2pm

I was out, clover point. Three hits, one beauty pin popper, handed the rod to a newbie and he grabbed the handles on a longstone when the fish was running hard and broke it off. Hahaha. Too bad.

All hits on a white glow hootchie. Sandlance and coho killer provided no hits in 4.5 hours today.

8-12 AM on the waterfront today. No keepers, just 3 little ones. Sure we're lots of crabs over by Esquimalt Lagoon though. All males too.

Like I said on the Sidney thread: the best part of fishing this time of year is knowing that even if you don't come home with a keeper salmon, there's always the crab and/or prawn feast to look forward to...

HB, that is a magnificent sunset photo. Fantastic!

Looks like you are catching on the Andrew P. spoon. I have tried several times with those including Friday, but not get caught anything on them yet. Probably going the wrong speed or something. Anyway, you must be doing something right because you caught fish on Saturday and R.S.Craven (and others) did not. RS is one hell of an angler so you are doing incredibly well to post such catches on the same day!

8-12 AM on the waterfront today. No keepers, just 3 little ones. Sure we're lots of crabs over by Esquimalt Lagoon though. All males too.

Heres a suggestion for you-=-Ask the guys from Renfrew how the crabs made out after the commercials got wind of it---- just saying....

Went around the corner to Oak Bay to meet some friends for a picnic at willows beach on Saturday. We gave the flats a quick pass without a bite and as we were about to turn we saw massive bait balls offshore. Went and scooped a couple dozen nice 8-10" herring for halibut bait....and for the BBQ! The people we met up with insisted we ate some and they were great. Cooked whole and filleted, which was the better way. Trolled on the way home with one rod down from clover to esquimalt anglers and got a nice 8lb in front of the flagpole. 150' on a Sandlance behind a Peetz 7" flasher. Out Sunday morning for Hali....lost a slab and released a bunch of dogs.
dbb99a8c69ffd549a38c5909fc560025.jpg
02092d1cbe0650a96c9e1d3654ebb3b4.jpg
59db69bef6aa8893b69fe8cab576bfe2.jpg
638f371f30fd2ab5feb5ca3cf600651d.jpg

image.jpg

Great hali opener.had our three by noon,and a spring at brodie just for good measure.awesome three days on the water

Last edited by a moderator:
Went around the corner to Oak Bay to meet some friends for a picnic at willows beach on Saturday. We gave the flats a quick pass without a bite and as we were about to turn we saw massive bait balls offshore. Went and scooped a couple dozen nice 8-10" herring for halibut bait....and for the BBQ! The people we met up with insisted we ate some and they were great. Cooked whole and filleted, which was the better way. Trolled on the way home with one rod down from clover to esquimalt anglers and got a nice 8lb in front of the flagpole. 150' on a Sandlance behind a Peetz 7" flasher. Out Sunday morning for Hali....lost a slab and released a bunch of dogs.
dbb99a8c69ffd549a38c5909fc560025.jpg
02092d1cbe0650a96c9e1d3654ebb3b4.jpg
59db69bef6aa8893b69fe8cab576bfe2.jpg
638f371f30fd2ab5feb5ca3cf600651d.jpg

What is used to scoops herring up? A small net or a rake or????

Franko

MILF (Man, I Love Fishing)

Back