Victoria Reports 2015

During flood tides;one can also push into the flats side of Chain Islands...tight in,,,near bottom can be rocky - 70' - 80' water...also opposite side of the islands can be good flood spots...

During flood tides;one can also push into the flats side of Chain Islands...tight in,,,near bottom can be rocky - 70' - 80' water...also opposite side of the islands can be good flood spots...
Have had some GREAT fishing in the Gap on last of the flood when the sand lance are in there thick
Ten Mile on the flood can be good too, but not like the flats or the gap
Best from mid April thru the summer

If you are very very careful -- fishing Spencer Ledge right at the East entry to the Gap by the Chain Islets can be very productive. Some large Ling hanging out there and we've bagged a few large Springs. However, the bottom goes from 65' to 20' about as quick as you look away from your plotter and the rocks will grab your balls. This area is better fished at a slack or light tide. On the Ebb I fish the Flats side of this structure and generally get some good fish hiding out behind the rock.

Jigging can also be productive close into the Islets. I'll often take the kids there to nab rockfish for fun.

I have an issue with the outside of the Chain Islets. When I,m on a tack between Trial Isl Light and Seabird pt on Discovery Isl, there is a point directly parallel to the Chain Isl that has a nasty piece of business on the bottom. Claimed a fair amount of my gear. But I did have one of my best early seasons yet this past year on the flats for big springs.

...fishing close to the rocks isn't for the light hearted;those peaks and drop off hold fish...like fishing the Connie pinnacles...you gotta find your groove...:)

Sammy
All this chat about fishing OB is like a flash back to the old days of good fishing. The Gap at sunset was a guaranteed fish, flats always a produced a fish or two, jiggers everywhere and who could forget the time those big springs sat infront of the Oak Bay Beach Hotel for 2 weeks and those 20-30 boats of questionable safety fishing the heck out of 30' of water!

who could forget the time those big springs sat infront of the Oak Bay Beach Hotel for 2 weeks and those 20-30 boats of questionable safety fishing the heck out of 30' of water!

I think it was '94 or '95 , then DFO closed Springs the following year I believe.

Got sealed twice out front on Brochie ledge... Heard Whirl Bay is still productive. Fished from 1 to 3pm 171' hoochies and spoons.

Bit lumpy out there today when we first got out around 11:30. Fished towards Albert head, but it was getting a bit too chunky, so we fished breakwater instead. Pretty slow out there today, 4 fish total. One shaker right off, one at he surface as we fixed a situation with the downrigger (right at the surface 10 feet behind the boat), we picked up a nice 10 pounder in a hundred feet of water over by the breakwater bouncing bottom. We also pulled up a nice lingcod, think it would have been a keeper if they were open!

In short, it rained, there was wind, but it didn't blow! No better way to spend a day.

image.jpg
PS- he did a great job getting it in the boat.

DVL U Know, Nice looking fish!! You were braver then I. I looked at the web cams, weather and reports and unhooked the boat. 16.5' DE does not like the rough water... Might have to take a mid week day off to catch up??

DVL U Know, Nice looking fish!! You were braver then I. I looked at the web cams, weather and reports and unhooked the boat. 16.5' DE does not like the rough water... Might have to take a mid week day off to catch up??

It wasn't as bad as it looked, we are running a DE as well and she handles it well. It really did flatten out as the day went along. Skip a day of work...you won't regret it!

Lots of decent fish off the waterfront this weekend.

Saw a lot of boats off of what looked like the pipe off clover, but we didn't go east of the harbour this time.

Bait doesn't work... :D

It wasn't as bad as it looked, we are running a DE as well and she handles it well. It really did flatten out as the day went along. Skip a day of work...you won't regret it!

Nice..Yah I ran a 165 for years in Sooke it handles a lot of big weather...Not that comfortable but can do it...

Lots of decent fish off the waterfront this weekend.

Saw a lot of boats off of what looked like the pipe off clover, but we didn't go east of the harbour this time.

Bait doesn't work... :D

Yup, I can confirm that there are a good amount fish West of the harbour! Jumped on my buddies boat for some bumpy fishing for a couple of hours midday Saturday. We had no problem getting them to bite and didn't waste a single piece of bait!

Back