OFFICIAL 2015 Vancouver-Howe Sound-Sechelt Reports Thread

fishin_magician

Well, here we are 2015! Post your reports here for 2015, big or small we want to hear all!

I know there are 2 fishing lunatics out in Vancouver right now!

MODS: hopefully you can pin this to the top and lockup the 2014 thread...no sense living in the past!

well was out today eventually
had to break out of the marina 60' of 1/2" ice was holding me in but
a little cunning and i got out after about an hour
well fished hard for a hour or so with a buddie and it was not looking that good
with not much showing on the sounder and bright and clear skies
it looked like we where going home skunked
but low and behold done a diffident tack and the rod tip started thumping round
and after a spirited fight and nice 12lb slid into the net
mr seal also made a presence but he was a bit slow as we got it to the boat and done the netting in short order
had another on but that became a long line release after a minute or so
flasher and hootchie down deep in howe sound

had to break out of the marina 60' of 1/2" ice was holding me in

LOL!

Been there/done that the Gibsons marina is quite the place in winter-Thanks for the report Glad to hear you scored.

Quite few being caught the last couple days (Jan 1-Jan 2)

I know Rick Clark of Gibbs-Delta and WFN was out yesterday and bagged a keeper off West Van, Mark Finney of Watermark Charters put one or two in the box from somewhere likely Howe sound-Bowen backside, Liquid Odyssey of Bonnie Lee Charters found a nice fish and fed the seal in the freighters , David Korsch of Predator Charters boxed a couple of nice fish from somewhere and a couple of local regular anglers also found fish towards Gibsons. A couple of dudes out right now I heard. a couple of guys down at Burrard Civic also put 11-12 pound Chinook on the cleaning table yesterday afternoon.

The usual suspect Spoons on 5-7 foot leaders behind flashers within 10 feet of the bottom have taken almost all these fish.

Awesome ! .... :D , looking forward to some or lots of winter fishing in my tin .:eek: brrrrrr !!!

Cheers ! Marco

Last edited by a moderator:
Was out today by the coal ports. Fed a nice one to mr seal about 10 ft back of the boat. Another undersize sent back on its way.

Several fish of various sizes caught in Pender Harbour area this week. Know of a 16 lb for sure and heard of a 25 lb caught in quarry bay. Tried to get out yesterday but boat broke at the dock.

Monday/tuesday van harbour 5 hits, one good one lost to seal and couple shakers. Saturday couple hours @ tunstall while traps soaked, no salmon. Found a bit of bait in Van but no hits in an hour or so with seal watching close as usual. Seal can be a real pain in the butt when working this hard for a legal fish and so few other boats for him to follow.

Made the trip over to gulf islands on Saturday and fished east side of Active Pass for a couple of hours. Not a sniff for us but I heard up at the north end (Porlier) there was quite a bit of action, mostly undersized but a few keepers in the mix. Good to see some fish around the gulf islands. Find the bait, find the fish.... and we were not able to find the bait this time ;) - Don't think many people will be heading out with the weather/wind we've been having lately but if you are good luck and be safe!

was out today from 11-3 local
had 3 fish 2 undersize released
and a 10lber keeper for my buddie his first of the year
light splatter/glow hootchie & green flasher

was out today from 11-3 local
had 3 fish 2 undersize released
and a 10lber keeper for my buddie his first of the year
light splatter/glow hootchie & green flasher

Funny. I'm on the ferry right now and on to Pender harbour. Was just thinking maybe starting my day tommorow with a splatter back hootchie.

Thinking of making a stab in the harbour or up the sound
Anything recent report wise for Van?

Took 5 buddies out for a fish today. Trolled West Van for a pass, a few passes around bait around the freighters, then reefs around Passage Island, finally a long troll around South Bowen. No luck. 11am -3.

We missed the morning tide change so maybe the bite was on then??

Ourselves and most boats I talked with picked up bites saturday right at morning high slack in Vancouver, still a few cm short though..

Last edited by a moderator:
been out the last few days even today 8-2
but most to the boat have been undersize so all released

just a shaker today and one about 4lbs 50cm approx, not bad considering it was well after the tide
not much bait showing either for us locally
still down deep close to the bottom on splatter hootchie/green flasher

Fished Quarry Bay Area Saturday and Bjerre Shoals Sunday to no avail. Did see a fair amount of bait but lots of current. Hard to keep the balls deep.

We must have missed the bite as well at the slack, lots of bait on the sounder in the frieghters as well...seals are thick as thieves.

Back