Craigflower/Colquitz

Deewar25

Sounds like the push is on - well over 300 coho up Craigflower today to mid afternoon, some over 15lb and chrome - tons downstream of the fence...same success reported at Colquitz

Doug just reported in - almost 500 for the day at Craigflower - last year overall was 330! Still lots coming up too from below.

Lots of fish in the creek today and 80% of them were Chrome. Hopefully we get more rain.

I've heard that the other creeks also had big returns today.

It is looking like it's going to be a good return year.

THANKS YOU CONSULTANTS DERBY FOR YOUR DONATIONS.
With the funds donated by the Consultants Derby to the Esquimalt Angler has provide us the opportunity to improve the creek and in turn is helping increase the salmon population in our local water

Good news Doug/Dave...... Makes me happy to hear that some of the contributions will help you guys.. I almost jumped out of my chair when Dave sent e-mail this afternoon..Those numbers are outstanding.

yes good news: I was down at Colquitz on Tuesday am,nothing in the trap...guess the recent rain is bringing them in.

On a side bar;the Gorge is coming back...salmon & small schools of baitfish?

I have yet to hear the Colquitz fish numbers.
The fish count Deewaar 25 and I'm referring to is from the Craigflower Cr trap only.
At sunrise today we had 5 fish in the trap and the creek had dropped 3 inches. The trap now has very little
water flow so the fish will probably not enter. But we will keep checking the trap just in case.

Dropped by the counting fence at Colquitz today with my kids around 4 PM. The count was at 35 total with only 2 males to date. There were a couple milling around just outside the fence while we were there. The lady I spoke with said they are hopeful tonight's rain forecast will push more through. She also mentioned they had a visit from a Seal on Thursday as well.

I had a look this evening at Craigflower, adjacent to the neighborhood around lower Highland road. Not much water, even lower than last year, when the fish couldn't get up into the park. Did see a couple of wakes move up the stream as I neared. Hopefully with a bunch more rain, we will get a run like 2012, where there were coho in Prior Lake.

Great news indeed and props to all who have worked on that system to keep it habitable for salmon.

I was pretty excited yesterday when I discovered a small number of Pinks up Haig-Brown's Kingfisher Creek, something I had hoped would happen given the numbers of them around plus the high water caused by Tuesday's rainfall.

Not terribly exciting in comparison to the number of Coho down your way but given these are the first Pinks I've seen in there since 2002, 12 years ago, I'm pretty stoked.

Our Coho and Chum have yet to arrive but they will.

Little victories here and there from dedicated volunteers.

I like it.

Take care.

I had a look this evening at Craigflower, adjacent to the neighborhood around lower Highland road. Not much water, even lower than last year, when the fish couldn't get up into the park. Did see a couple of wakes move up the stream as I neared. Hopefully with a bunch more rain, we will get a run like 2012, where there were coho in Prior Lake.
Wouldn't worry about the water - we are expecting 5-10 inches of rain over the next 2 weeks! Big one tomorrow, remnants of Ana on Tuesday - creeks will be ripping soon enough. Interesting that it seems Craigflower far exceeding Colquitz again here. Are they 2 years or 3 year? It was 2 years ago they had the huge run....sooooooo I'll probably check it out tomorrow afternoon and see if the old guy needs some help :p

As of noon today we have released 645 Coho up stream. With all this rain, we have been checking the trap every few hours in order to keep the fishing moving.
We are hoping that with the high tide in late afternoon will move more fish up stream.

The water level in the lower section of the creek is up by about 14 inches but the upper section of the creek is only up by a few inches.
Once Thetis Lake and Pike Lake fill up and start spilling over the upper section of the creek water level will rise.

just helped out Bruce on the early afternoon shift...add another 93 to that total. Big fish, lots of chromers too and a dozen jacks in the mix as well. No idea how you pulled off that crazy day Doug, thats hard work..lol

Over 100 more today at Colquitz and more moving up to the fence when I left this afternoon.

Stopped by the fence at Colquitz today and they had just passed the 120 mark for the day, bringing the total to north of 150 to date. Barry (in the photo) was still netting fish when I left just after 3 PM.

Barry.jpg

Latest from Colquitz looks like 244 overall with 166 today...alot more jacks for u guys than Craigflower it looks - in my scoop at Craig, there were a dozen out of 90, Colquitz 1/3 of them today were jacks. Female/male comparison similar thou (more females).

I took my oldest son down a couple times to the Colquitz fence today. In the morning we go to help count what was coming through and my son talked about it the rest of the day.

By the time we were back in the afternoon there has been another 100 counted and a full box.

I have been going down the last few years and the size this year is very impressive. There were quite a few 10-15lb with one male that was likely in the 16-18lb range that came through in the afternoon. Lot's of big females which is just great to see.

Good work all!

Back