When is a Dummy Not a DUmmy

spring fever

When its a quick release!!I had been thinking about this since JIGGERJIM gave me a monster spin and glow and told me he met a guide who used them as Dummies (FLASHER) I kept looking at it and then looked at an in-line flasher hanging in the shop. I put them together with an old style release clip-total length about 6ft and thought I would try it--someday. Had a couple of friends to Grants reef-Fishing was pretty reasonable- Had some nice teeners but then the action died and it was almost time to leave. I gave the Dummy release a go with a 6 inch lighted tomic plug. Put it down to 180 and an inside turn was made-it popped- nothing 5 min later an 8lber-released -barely got it set again and this baby hit. Bare in mind -I had a tried and true lure on the other side which had been catching fish all day. I'm sure someone else does this but I've never heard of it. When you think of the concept it holds lots of possibilities especially with plugs 'spoons and bait. Fishing 2 rods-etc

Attachments

• DSC01320.jpg
    DSC01320.jpg
    89.9 KB · Views: 1,061
  • DSC01323.jpg
    DSC01323.jpg
    97.2 KB · Views: 1,064
Congrats on the fish! I don't get it though. What makes you think that would work any better or worse than a dummy off the ball? Do you like it because the setup is on a DR release clip? Do you like the action better?

Congrats on the fish! I don't get it though. What makes you think that would work any better or worse than a dummy off the ball? Do you like it because the setup is on a DR release clip? Do you like the action better?
It is so simple to use-no chance of the dummy going into the prop. Now you can have a large spoon behind the dummy and stack another rod above it if you want. No set-up time-you just rig as usual-your release is the dummy-unbelievable for plugs.

I would have never done it as a release clip but that's just me. Cause when you tightened up your reel those flashers would be vertical. I don't get how'd they be inline.

I would have never done it as a release clip but that's just me. Cause when you tightened up your reel those flashers would be vertical. I don't get how'd they be inline.
You could have a point there-something to consider-it just worked so slick and so often in quick succession against a known hootchy that I don't think it was a fluke. The plug was only 8ft from the release clip which would make the plug 14 ft from the ball-the spin and glow must still be turning and so must the inline flasher. FA has a very valid point-I am drawing like crazy-I don't want to believe that perhaps it was just the lighted plug that caused the mayhem but maybe that is so.

Last edited by a moderator:
The wierd thing is that spin n glow is rigged backwards.

The black thing in the left of the picture is an old style release clip-to the right is the clip to the deep line-so I personally don't believe it's backwards.
spin n glow is rigged right. they sell that size at wholesale sports in Langley that's where I get em

No its not backwards ... hey if your set up works for ya good for you and thanks for sharing. Good point though raised about having line to rod to tight ..... it would cause it to go out of line ........ would be a gong show with a flasher instead of a Kone zone type. I wouldnt doubt the odd sring or others will HAMMER the spin n glo too, Boom on the DR arm.

Hey what ever works for us all, another good idea posted here. Thanks for showing us.

No its not backwards ... hey if your set up works for ya good for you and thanks for sharing. Good point though raised about having line to rod to tight ..... it would cause it to go out of line ........ would be a gong show with a flasher instead of a Kone zone type. I wouldnt doubt the odd sring or others will HAMMER the spin n glo too, Boom on the DR arm.

Hey what ever works for us all, another good idea posted here. Thanks for showing us.

It absolutely could never work with anything that wasn't strictly in line. I'm having a hard rethink of the system because of FA's comments-needs way more playing around with-just something I came up with "off the wall". Maybe just a fluke or maybe the release clip lays out far enough for stuff to turn.

Clip in to your dummy clip, feed out some main line, go up another 5-10 feet and clip into the bite in the line.. There will be slack waiting for both clips to pop. Be ready. A Sooke guy invented a flasher for this to play just the fish. I have one, I'll try to find the name.

SF - I have done the same sort of thing with a release clip, Mack's wings and a Kone zone flasher - the amount of angle the 'dummy' is pulled up by the pre-load from tensioning your rod is actually pretty small if you are fishing more than 80-90 feet deep and trolling 2.8 -3.2 mph. Your mainline does not go straight to the rod tip. It is pulled into a 'C' shape by the drag of the water passing over its whole length. The end closest to the release clip is probably pulling the dummy slightly to the rear and not straight up
I even think the angle that the dummy does get pulled up from horizontal, helps make the flutter more erratic.

SF - I have done the same sort of thing with a release clip, Mack's wings and a Kone zone flasher - the amount of angle the 'dummy' is pulled up by the pre-load from tensioning your rod is actually pretty small if you are fishing more than 80-90 feet deep and trolling 2.8 -3.2 mph. Your mainline does not go straight to the rod tip. It is pulled into a 'C' shape by the drag of the water passing over its whole length. The end closest to the release clip is probably pulling the dummy slightly to the rear and not straight up
I even think the angle that the dummy does get pulled up from horizontal, helps make the flutter more erratic.

I have been thinking and drawing on graph paper trying to reason out why I got such striking results. Two options really-The LED plug is good -no doubt about it and maybe that's what they wanted in a slow period. It is a proven producer. I have used it there and taken fish but switched to other tackle when things slowed. I think you are correct-In deep water the main line exerts a fair bit of tension on the release clip-also the in-line flasher and then the drag of the plug. I have a feeling that the release clip is actually a fair ways off of vertical and is allowing the flasher and spin and glow to turn. I am going to pursue this a little more to see if it works with large spoons.

Back