Nootka Sound 2014 Fishing Reports

That's awesome. All the trash talk about sporties and the commies and respect for each other was the end result…

That's awesome. All the trash talk about sporties and the commies and respect for each other was the end result…

There was a commerical boat with guys staying on it at Westview and they were very nice. Talked with them quite a bit about prawning and they were really willing to share information and just generally really nice guys. This was not the boat that we got our gear mixed up with.

Why not just boat or tow right to Tahsis and fish that side of Nootka? Everything you need is right at Westview. You can drop some of your spoons to John the owner.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Prawning

No not very many other people besides the commercial guys. Maybe saw a dozen or so rec pots. It is a little tough to find a spot without commercial pots. We got one of our pots hung up on a commercial string that we could not pull up. Went back the next day and they were nice enough to seperate our gear from theirs. Even had some prawns in it.

Going up first week in August. Will prawning still be legal then? Any recommendation on where to put traps?

Usually 300 to 350' is pretty good.400 is probably better.They will be kinda picked over by August but we always get enough for some meals.Always been legal in August for the last 5 yrs. anyway.Good luck!

Hey Guys, thanks for the tip on Westview; next time.

Well, we had an awesome weekend. The surf was better than we had expected, so much more surfing went down than fishing, but we had some good fishing.

We made a point of not bringing much food and therefor had to provide. First night we brought steaks though. Second night we had some great Hali, yellow eye and black bass. The next night we cooked a nice 14lb hatch spring that was caught off Bajo reef.

Thanks for all the tips from all, but we still felt a bit naked outside of our normal waters. It was flat as a board so we figured why not head offshore to the 300' line and try the highway. No idea how to fish out there so we figured double stacking plugs was a good call. No action...so we headed in towards Bajo where we quickly picked up the 14 for dinner.

On the way home we fished off maquinna and had non stop action for a couple hours. We ended up bringing home a few; 3 chinook to 13lb and two ling to 20lb. We were expecting a few more big springs, but can't complain. All action was on the Sitka sand lance spoons aside from one on a coho killer.

Here are a couple pics.

u5udada8.jpg
6yqumyja.jpg
6era4adu.jpg
y2u9yvud.jpg
yqudy2ez.jpg

Andrew - "off macquinna" was that the spot I showed you? Its a good hole fosho.

Started painting some of those spoons - I'm no Picasso but had fun with it. Got to grab a few more......

Hey Guys, Pumped for a couple mid to late July Trips to Nootka this year as I've spent the last few years fishing Ukee and Winter Harbour instead. Question: As much as I know the waters there for fishing I've never prawned up there. Is it worth bringing the traps in mid-late July? Also any general advice on locations would be helpful, not looking for secret holes :)

Thanks

SWC

Mid to late July is prime time.
Surf line will be closed to big ones but they will be inside anyway.
No secret spots in Nootka.
Fish where the boats are.
SanCarlos Camel rock Hoise point Tahsis inlet up to the closure line.
Fish are shallow mostly.
25 and 35 are my favorite depths
We always take the traps but the commies will have got most of them.
Still worth it.

Hi Folks. Have not been on the forum for a while. Cathy & I have been working with the crew to get Westview Marina & lodge open for the season. Thank for the may friendly & nice post about the Marina & us.
As of May 16th we are 100% open. Fuel dock, tackle shop, restaurant, moorage, coffee shop, marine mechanics, lodging & licensed Marine Patio Pub.
Fishing is GOOD. Lots of Halibut 20- 60lb, Lings & Chinook 10-20 lb. Sporties are playing well with commercial prawn guys & most everybody are catching lots of prawns. Always bring you prawn traps when you come to Nootka or Esperanza you will be glad you did.
From what the commercial troll guys are unloading at Zeballos I'd say the projections on the Chinook & Coho returnes are Correct!

Back